Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabear_gw

Which Daylilies make seed?

mamabear
10 years ago

Which Daylilies make seed? Is a list somewhere?
I have been Told that Spider Forms and Doubles don't make Seed. Is there more? Maybe a List Somewheres?

Comments (8)

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

With newer varieties, you will often find notes on the hybridizer's website such as "fertile both ways" etc.

• mamabear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Someone more Knowledgeable than me.
    Should make a List! LOL

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

When Bill Munson and others first began experimenting with tetraploids, fertility was a huge problem. Thankfully, that seems to have long since been overcome, and the more reliable hybridizers will tell you about fertility.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Well, I can tell you several of my spiders & doubles do make seed, although not as well as others.

• mamabear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your help. I was going to move the ones not producing seed for me to another spot and stop wasting my time. But now I think I should just try harder. What is your opinion? 'Big Kiss' to all of you!

• bentleygardens
    10 years ago

Triple Cherries (pic shown) and Facepaint are my best with 15 or more pods on each one. They also do well the following year after such an abundance of energy to pods.

The best spider "podder" I have is Rolling Raven and Orchid Waterfalls with numerous pods.

Henry Boykin and Lycean have to be my worse this year, not a single pod out of 30-40 blooms

Hope everyones pods are growing great this year

Ed

• signet_gw(6b)
    10 years ago

Most daylilies make seed. There are a small amount that are not pod fertile but they are the exception not the rule really. Seed can be set even on fulva europa if you are persistant enough. It generally prefers tet pollen though.
    If you are not getting seed from your cultivars then it is more likely you than the plant. Maybe you are trying to pollenate too late in the day Pollinization first should be done early morning just after the pollen dries and is ready to spread. Then you can play bumble bee. You want to get to the plant before other bugs do. You also need to generally cross a tet with a tet and a dip with a dip. There are a few cultivars that will take pollen from either ploidy but again they are few and far between. If you cross a tet with a dip the plant will often make a pod. But the pod will drop off at some point empty of seed. Also,if you are dead heading your blooms if you are taking off the bloom too close to the joint of bloom and stem then you may be removimg the part of the flower that makes the pod and seeds

Hope this helps

Signet

• mamabear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That was real helpful! But the Cross Pollinating has nothing to do with Me as I don't do crossing. I leave that fun to the more Knowledgeable than Me People. Altho my Son's First Crossed Seedling did bloom this year. Real Exciting!
    Anyway: Alway's Afternoon has about 20 Pods of seed on it While next to it Elegant Candy gave me none this year.
    I'm Still Puzzled, But will Check Moles, Sun, Soil and Such.
    I don't Water at all, So that Could Play a Part. I do however Fertilize. I'm telling you Guy's a List would be Much easier, as Most of my Over 250 Daylilies are older.
    This is Always Afternoon

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals