Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

A Dream, Some Luck, and a Melee in the Garden

shive
10 years ago

We had a hard, driving rain last night that bent the stalks of my talllest rudbeckia and hibiscus, and broke the best budded scape off the Miss Goldie Golddigger clump. But I was happy to get the rain since it cooled things off and relieved me of watering chores last night.

JEANNE DEAVER'S DREAM, my favorite purple, was slow in opening this season. Then several of the first blooms were splotchy. But today's bloom seemed photo ready.

LUCK BE A LADY ffo - I just got this one in June and was happy it sent up rebloom scapes for me.

MELEE, a late bloomer by Joe Goudeau, is an irridescent red. I love the small white edge! I got this one last year, but it is just now blooming.

ART BY PICASSO

ANGELUS BLUE SKIES

NO BOYS ALLOWED

INTEGRATED LOGISTICS - the last two blooms. What a great show this one put on this season.

SENECA SPIRIT, a nice Northern late bloomer by Tom Rood.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS with its ffo next the BEST FOR LAST clump

Debra

Comments (21)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I don't know what to pick for my favorite as they are all really beautiful. But the picture of INTEGRATED LOGISTICS is really a great one so I will go with that one as my favorite.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

deb that Jeanne Deaver is something else, why so bold and dark. nice !

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

It's Integrated Logistics for me, what a beauty. Avedon

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Jeanne Deaver's Dream and Melee are such vibrant colors. I like Melee's edge, too. (White edges are good on red daylilies, but never gold edges! My quirky list of dos and don'ts continues to grow.) I love the polychrome effect of Luck Be a Lady. And I know you're just taunting me with photos of No Boys Allowed.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow! JEANNE DEAVER'S DREAM, is a beauty and my favorite of the bunch.That is just so pretty.I really like that
    LUCK BE A LADY, too. Love that soft coloring it has, gorgeous.I really like this MELEE,, too. I read your subject line "and a melee too and wondered what is a melee, then I see its a gorgeous bloom. :)That purple one in last photo is a beaut, too/ glad you got some needed rain. wish I would get some too, no storms. just rain..

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Tell us about the performance of Art By Picasso--bud count, increase, ease in establishing, number of flawed blooms, etc.

Melee looks very good, as of course, does Jeanne Deaver, but I don't like the opening problems. Nights here have not been that cool.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I've been checking to see when you posted. Integrated Logistics is gorgeous! I like the clump of No Boys Allowed. Jeanne Deaver's Dream, Melee (really like that color) and Art By Picasso all really appeal to me. Lovely group, Debra.
    kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

What a perfect bloom on Jeanne Deaver's Dream, for sure my favorite today. Melee is pretty too. Funny Chris said 'never gold edges on red daylilies', I was just thinking hmm, I think I really need a red with a yellow / gold edge :) Art By Picasso is really pretty too and my type of flowers. Love the last blooms on Integrated Logistics.
    And oh, how sad about Miss Goldie's best scape :(

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita and Avedon - Integrated Logistics has been a favorite here this season, with 6-14 blooms open each day of its 5-week run.

Chris - I find I like any color daylily with a white edge, especially reds, purples and pinks. A white edge and a watermark is even better. I think the white edge is what makes Jeanne Deaver's Dream my favorite purple. I don't think it would look nearly as pretty with a gold edge.

Jeanne - Melee is a French word pronounced maylay. It means a confused struggle involving several people, often with hand to hand fighting. Goudeau claims that's what happened when visitors saw this daylily as a seedling and all wanted to buy it.

Mantis - I really can't give you any performance information about Art By Picasso. According to the registration, it's a dormant midseason rebloomer with a 4.5 inch bloom on 34 inch scapes and has 20 buds. The flower seems a bit bigger here - just under 5 inches. And my scapes are about 24 inches. I bought ABP a couple of years ago and as a new plant it bloomed with only a few buds. Last year I don't remember seeing it at all. During that stretch of 100 plus temps and drought, I had several daylilies lose all their buds before blooming. This year I forgot I had it in a pot. The pot was in almost total shade and surrounded by spiderwort. One day last week I noticed a pretty little bloom peeking over the spiderwort. I'm not even sure how many buds it has because I shot this photo from a distance and over the spiderwort. Obviously I need to get it into the ground. Apparently Benz did not get the great edge I have down here in the land of heat and humidity. His registration photo only has a few small baubles visible.

Let me clarify what I meant about Jeanne Deaver's Dream. I meant it was slow to have its first flower open. It's blooming with the lates. Although not an early morning opener (as I prefer), it is open well by 8:30-9:30. Last year I had no problems with it have splotchy openings, but this season I'm experience Thrips Round II.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Glad to hear you cooled down too. So did we.

INTEGRATED LOGISTICS looks very deep in color. Lovely photo.
    How has NO BOYS ALLOWED done for you? Did you get it in the ground or is it in a pot?

Julia

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Having a hard time picking a favorite from these. Maybe MELEE, I like reds with a thin edge. I really like No Boys Allowed too.

• hostabff
    10 years ago

Your photo of We Are the Champions looks as good as the picture on Judy Davisson's website. Very nice. I love the orange throat. I agree with you Jeanne Deaver's Dream is a great shade of purple.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia - No Boys Allowed is still in the pot. I fertilized it, but maybe too late to effect bud count. The area I planned to put some UFs never got made this spring because of so much rain. WHILE NBA has increased very well, it still has low bud count - 5 buds per scape. That's even worse than last year when it had 5-7. I am growing several other Davissons in pots - Carolina Cool Down, Michael Davisson, Miss Demeanor, and Reckless Girls and they all have much higher bud counts. Also, NBA is a bust as a hybridizing plant. In four years it has not set one pod. The pollen is difficult too. I've only gotten three seeds with it as a pollen parent. I still haven't planted those. It's progeny, Diamonds for Divas or maybe its Divas in Diamonds (get the name mixed up with the Petit) still hasn't put up a scape in two years.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hostabuff - That gigantic bloom on We Are the Champions has great contrast between the petal color and the throat. It's not as well budded as some of the other lates in that border, but no other bloom attracts more attention.

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

You know I'm a sucker for the purples so Jeanne Deaver's Dream goes to the head of the class for me.
    Linda

• lynxe
    10 years ago

I'll have to check on my NO BOYS ALLOWED tomorrow - when it's light out, not to mention dry. My clump is enormous and full of scapes with blooms. But I couldn't tell you anything about the branching or bud count.

I have it in front of a clump of FLYING TRAPEZE, and I think the two make a great combo.

I love WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS and JEANNE DEAVER'S DREAM - especially the latter. I just did a quick online search, and I've found a couple of northern sellers. More in the south, but I'm very tempted to try it out here.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynxe - Do let us know about your bud count on No Boys Allowed.

Debra

• lynxe
    10 years ago

Debra, both bud count and branching seem variable. For example, one scape had what I would consider two-way branching, but with each with a vee. Is that actually four-way? Others had definite two-way branching. A quick check (I didn't count on every scape) showed bud count ranging from 8 to 16. That's quite a variation, don't you think?

"Also, NBA is a bust as a hybridizing plant. In four years it has not set one pod. The pollen is difficult too."

It's currently got two pods on it. I have a new no-stress way of backyard pollen dabbing: I'm not keeping records of pollen parents. So it's no stress, since I don't have to walk around marking or recording, but it's also not very helpful -- I can't tell you whether both pods are from a plant with very powerful pollen, or whether each pod had a different parent.

• polymerous
    10 years ago

I love your photo of 'Angelus Blue Skies'. I'm guessing that you have warmer weather (or at least warmer nights?) than we do here; mine frequently does not bloom with the petals flat (and sepals recurved) as your photo shows. The color is also variable here, depending on the weather.

I'm curious to know how many poly blooms you get on your 'Angelus Blue Skies'. (I've seen it up to 25% here, some years.)

(The image below is from June 23rd, 12:39 pm. The temperature at that time, recorded in nearby San Jose, was a whopping 69 degrees. I'd guess that accounts for both the color and the half-hearted opening.)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Polymerous - Yes, we have much warmer temperatures that you. But it hasn't been as hot as usual this summer. The sepals rarely recurve on my Angelus Blue Skies, But the petals do usually open flat. The color on mine was a bit light, the result of the petals bleaching some in bud on a day last week when we had a heat index of 104. It's usually the same color as yours. I notice color variation on all daylilies based on temps.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynxe - That is a wide variation in buds on No Boys Allowed. Unfortunately mine has no variation. It's five on all seven scapes. And about the pods, it's started pods on mine many times. It just doesn't keep them. Pods usually abort around week 2-3. It will be interesting to see if you harvest those two pods.

Poly- Yes, it had been very warm the day before this photo - heat index of 1-4. The color on my Angelus Blue Skies is faded somewhat from usual. The color is normally more like yours. I rarely have problems with the petals lying flat. But the recurved sepals only happen every once in awhile.

Debra

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!