Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani_plus_2

I...am...an...idiot!!!

dani_plus_2
11 years ago

*sigh* So, 3 years ago I was a brand-newbie to daylily seeds. I made a 5 x 15 foot bed. I put down a sheet of perforated landscaping cloth 6" underneath the soil, thinking it would keep the weeds at bay. WRONG. It made the daylily roots grow sideways. I thought since weeds are able to go thru the sheet that they would too. WRONG AGAIN. I also think they are too close together and are not able to show their true potential because of that. DOH! I just spent 5 hours digging up, seperating according to size and preparing that same bed again but without the black sheet. Waaaaahhhhhhhh! All of these will not fit in the same bed again....no stinkin' way (since they need to be spaced properly). Sooo, my question is this- these seeds were grown in pots in Winter of 2009-2010 and were planted outside Spring 2010. I have 4 catergories of ones that I have divided- Large, medium , small and extra small. I have planted the large and can plant half of the medium. I have to make a new bed for the rest of the mediums. Do you think it is worth it to plant all of the smalls and extra smalls dues to the fact that they were overcrowded? Since I'm new, I don't know how hard they "fight" to bloom. I just don't want to wait more time and spce if they aren't worth it. Oh, and most of these are fromt he auction, so it's a costly move. *sigh* Newbies.

Oh, and the make matters worse, the drought made it hard for the rest in my other beds to bloom, so I have even less space than I thought! I threw out alot, but not as much as I would have liked. Argrhgrhghghhhhh!

please send some experienced thoughts my way....

Comments (6)

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I am laughing because I have made so many well-intentioned mistakes since starting daylilies!

The first daylilies I bought at a garage sale, dug holes and stuck 'em in in front of each post of the wood rail fence along the road, and promptly forgot about them. They thrived for several years amongst the native grasses and weeds, and even overcame the occasional complete cut-back from workers with weed-eaters. I never fertilized them or watered them. They grew in spite of me.

I should have stopped right there. That was my first mistake. When I found out I could cross-pollinate them, my maternal instincts took over, and there's been a steady parade of expansion, making daylily babies along with a lot of trial-and-error ever since.

I used to play and arrange music, build websites, paint, refinish furniture, make jewelry, and try out recipes. That was all "before-daylilies." Now I have a music studio that seldom gets used, no daylily website yet, no new paintings, furniture that still needs refinishing, countless beads and jewelry making supplies stashed away in bins, and only manage to do fancy cooking on occasion. That was before my addiction.

You could pot up the rest that won't fit and grow them in pots if you cannot bring yourself to discard them. Tommy Maddox grows his seedlings in pots and keeps them in water beds so he doesn't have to water them. Thinking that was a capital idea, I bought some kiddy wading pools this summer and have started expanding by putting some proliferations in one of them. I am completely out of space in the daylily beds, but since I am obsessed with soaking and starting seeds, I'll have to resort to pots in kiddy pools. (Hubby has put his foot down and refuses to let me to put in water beds.) LOL My latest mistake was failing to tell the yard man not to run his mower so that the kiddy pool fills up with grass clippings.

Cheers,

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Oh do we all have stories to tell. This gardening business and the daylily business is on the job training...and you do learn from your mistakes. I have a major bed reworking to do of mine own when it cools a bit. It is too crowded...sound familiar? Just grin and keep going.
    kay

• dementieva
    11 years ago

Nancy, I know someone who does something like that as well. I haven't seen it, but he described sunken planting areas full of water that the pots are set down in. I asked if mosquitoes are a problem, and I think he said he uses dish soap to keep them from being able to reproduce in the water.

Nate

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's nice to know that I'm not alone! :oP My husband gave me a head-shake when I told I had to buy more dirt this year....again. I know he thinks I'm nutzoid. Oh well.

Hello, my name is Dani...I have a slight problem with planting too many seeds.

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I started growing from seed 2 years ago. In the sprng, I planted 40 seedlings in a 3' X 18' bed. By the end of the year all had grown well. By the next year half of them had flowered. I decided to leave them til this year and now they are really BIG. I know I have to move them to wide open spaces (we live on a farm and I'll probably just move some into the field) but I also know I have to cull some. I've learned to cull the ones I don't think will improve any more, cull the small ones because I prefer big flowers in my garden, cull the ones I think are just butt ugly. Then I have to plant the next years seedlings and start all over again - an addictive cycle. I can't stop now. As for weeds, they keep coming no matter what. I put down corn gluten to keep weed seeds from germinating, unfortunately it doesn't work on established weeds. Right now I have just about every thistle in the county here. I don't know what kind they are but they're the ones with smooth stems and they're easy to pull out. Whatever you decide to do, good luck! Marg

• shive
    11 years ago

I would try to find someplace to plant the smalls and extra smalls. I find some seedlings get shaded out by the bigger ones and don't grow as much. One I have that was very small is now growing like cornstalk since I dug up and discarded two inferior seedlings on one side of it.

Debra