Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

The End is Nigh: a few stragglers (photos)

shive
11 years ago

Lots of my beds had nothing blooming today. Most of what was blooming was in pots or in the seedling bed.

JEANNE DEAVER'S DREAM, one of my new Trimmers, started reblooming today. There was a little bug damage on a sepal and one of the petals. The color was much darker than when it first bloomed in May.

BAJA CALIFORNIA reblooming

Seedling "Rubber Maid" still having strong rebloom

ONCE UPON A TIME

ETHERAL LIGHT, a late, with its ffo. This one is supposed to have 44 inch scapes, but this year is blooming on an 8 inch scape.

RASPBERRY TWIZZLER reblooming

My late blooming white seedling is still building buds. It's up to 19 and 20 buds from the original 13 and 14. Two of the sepals were quilling today.

Debra

Comments (15)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Oh Debra, it is too sorry when those daylilies stop blooming. At least they are not all gone! BAJA CALIFORNIA is a beauty and my favorite.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Rita, it is a sad time in the land of brown of scapes. But I still have one more daylily that hasn't started blooming yet. For some reason Wheel of Time is just getting ready to bloom. It missed the big party, but you can bet it will be getting my undivided attention. I'm still hoping to see a few more rebloom scapes before the end of summer.

Debra

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

GOSH DEBRA, I just love them first 3 blooms, and especially the first one. just gorgeous blooms.I have buds falling off mine before they can get a chance to bloom,and I am still watering daily.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Wonderful shot of the seedling in the last pic. Looks so different- shape wise - from the other photos you've posted of it.

Julia

• JJOF
    11 years ago

All of them are beautiful. Too hard to pick a favourite!
    Jason

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Yes, the numbers are dwindling. I still have a few re-bloomers, and a few that have scapes but haven't started re-blooming yet. Baja California loos great in the photo, the color is darker. I really like Jeannie Deaver's Dream as well. Your seedling is doing very well too.

kay

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Very interesting form on Jean Deaver's Dream. Will watch to see what other blooms are like. With the name "Rubber Maid," your seedling should be strong.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean - Jeanne Deaver's Dream does have a dark,rich purple color. Very little red in this purple.

Julia - Sometimes the petals on the white seedling look more narrow. This is the first time I've seen the sepals quill on it this season. Last year the sepals quilled about 50 percent of the time.

Jason and Kay - Thanks for your comments!

Mantis - Jeanne Deaver's Dream was opened a lot flatter later in the morning, but I didn't have time to photograph it. My seedling's petals may have a delicate color, but they are as solid as rubber. I've been so pleased with that one.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Baja California really is showy, and all the rest are very good, but I like your seedling very much. Avedon

• Nancy
    11 years ago

It is so sad to see them going. Baja California is my favorite, but I really like Raspberry Twizzler too, & your seedling.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I like Raspberry Twizzler, great name for it too

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I still prefer your late blooming white seedling..Rubbermaid is still a pretty..she looks a little like Ed Brown. I think I will pick Jeanne Deavers Dream as fav. I can see what she will look like and I do like the color! Ellie

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie - I hadn't thought about Rubber Maid looking like Ed Brown. But I guess there is some resemblance. It's a great grandparent of Rubber Maid.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I've been so busy I've hardly had time to visit the forum lately but wanted to comment on your pics. I am always sad when you get to the end of your blooms because they are always such a special treat to see. Mine are at peak now so I'm in daylily heaven but I know I'll be sad when the show is over. But I have tons of photos!!! Anyway, I love that Rubber Maid seedling and your white one with the quilling....so it is your seedlings that stole the show for me today.

Celeste

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, Celeste! I've been concerned about you since I haven't seen any recent post from you. Looking forward to seeing your marvelous blooms!

Debra