Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Sunny Sunday in Michigan

maximus7116
10 years ago

We had bright, bright sun again today, and hot temps predicted for the week. Here's today's best:

BETTER THAN EVER has been a very reliable bloomer over the years:

ANATOMY OF CHANGE had great pinching on its FFO:

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER FFO. I don't normally care for "rusty" colored daylilies, but I think I'll enjoy this one once it clumps up. Plus, the bloom is enormous:

LANCELOT OF FRANCE is a floriferous small bloomer:

FIJI has got to go. These hyper-ruffled flowers never open well for me. I had to coax this one to open as far as it did:

CHINA LAKE in the weed/shade garden. I love the simplicity of this one so much it's going to get moved to the better part of the garden:

ARCTIC LACE, my only repeat because it always looks so darn good:

Chris

Comments (11)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

High Plains Drifter and Arctic Lace are my picks. AL is such a good plant. It has been re-blooming for a while, and every bloom opens perfectly. High Plains Drifter will be very impressive in a clump with that large bloom.
    kay

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I really like High Plains Drifter, and I think it will really shine in a clump. China Lake is very appealing to me since I like plainer DLS. Pretty color on Anatomy Of Change. Avedon

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I really like Better than Ever, lovely color, just enough ruffle & a thin edge to boot. Very pretty. Arctic Lace looks really good.

• shive
    10 years ago

Arctic Lace and Better Than Ever are gorgeous. They are both excellent performers here. Lancelot of France looks like it's doing very well for you. It's a lovely color. But my favorite is Anatomy of Change with the terrific pinching in the throat. Mine, still in a pot, tried to do some mild pinching this year, but nothing like yours.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

After your postings, I had to pick up Arctic Lace.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

you have some very pretty ones today. ANATOMY OF CHANGE is a beauty. like that one. is so pretty.FIJI is so pretty, wonder why it don't open good for you.I love these ruffles.CHINA LAKE is gorgeous. my favorite today along with ARTIC LACE, so pretty....

jean

• sann777
    10 years ago

I love Artic Lace. I still want to get that one. Love the pink ones too., especially Lancelot of France. Sarah

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

They all are pretty, but I think Artic Lace wins by a nose......Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Chris: Can you tell me what the stats are on Artic Lace and how long you've had it? I always like to add whites and that one looks to be very white.
    LANCELOT OF FRANCE is always a favorite when I see you post it.
    ANATOMY OF CHANGE, is that a new one for you? Any stats you can share?

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Debra and Julia, Anatomy of Change has been here four years. I didn't see blooms for the first two years, but it's been in a somewhat shady area of the garden so I didn't hold it against the plant. Last year was so-so, with maybe 50% of the blooms showing pinching. This year it finally increased to four fans, has three-way branching but not too many buds.

Mantis, I'm glad you got Arctic Lace (my favorite white, although I need to add more). It was slow to come up this year and had be worried, but it caught up to its neighbors quickly and has been steadily blooming for a while. I think you'll like it.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Oh, I remember LANCELOT OF FRANCE from past years in your garden. I loved it and still love it. So pretty, pretty, pretty.