10 years ago

Paul Owens lovely intro Oye Veh.

S. Double Classic

Tennessee Afterglow

Rocks Cry Out

Even ditch lilies can be pretty.

The plateau is really getting going.

Rose The Fairy just started blooming.

Meantime roses in Florabundaville in the front yard are about done. I was out there prunning them back so that they bloom again in August.

Comments (29)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is getting to be more like it, Rita. Rocks Cry Out is my favorite, but S double Classic and Oye Veh are lovely pinks, and Tennessee Afterglow is just lovely period.
    kay

• shive
    10 years ago

The plateau is looking good, and the roses are continuing for you. Lovely group shots today! Oye Vey and Tennessee Afterglow are my favorites.

Debra

• Nancy
    10 years ago

My favorites are still Rocks Cry Out & TN Afterglow, they both just seem to get better & better. Rose the Fairy is quite pretty.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

That Paul Owens intro is a beautiful shade of pink. Nice photos, Rita.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, Rita.the daylilies are gorgeous. LOVe that OYE VEH
    beautiful.Love that green throat.S, Double Classic is so pretty. I love that one, too.mY favorite one is TENNESSEE AFTERGLOW, that is a beauty.The plateau is looking great, too, fixing to really get going.. How do you prune them roses without getting tore up with thorns. wel, guess you do get stuck a lot. but its really pretty in there.

jean

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Love that Tennessee Afterglow! I remember it from last year because it's so distinctive and beautiful. Good to see that your daylilies are getting going. Your posts are always so fun to look at.

Celeste

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Tennessee Afterglow a hands-down favorite!

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Cameran Quantz and a hummingbird!

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Fresh Start

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Benchmark

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Love multiples! It's a tie between Tenessee Afterglow and Oy Vey. My S.Double Classic opened multiples today too. They look so good in a bouquet (sort of).

• deangreen
    10 years ago

3 cheers for all 3 blooms of S. double classic.. okay maye there were 4, anyway, very nice pics especially the roses. The Owens flowers looks pretty vibrant and strong, I am waiting for a bloom on one I got a year ago, Jeffcoats style. it's a big ole double but I may have it in the wrong bed. long story... anyway, great pics. :)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Delaware Donna. First off welcome to GardenWeb and the Daylily Forum. I see you only registered very recently. We are a very friendly bunch here and love to see pictures. And we would love to see yours. On this forum each of us starts our own thread for pictures for the day. So you might have a thread with your blooms that you started Sunday and then on Monday you might have new pictures and a new thread. Please don't take this as criticism, we want you to have a great time here at gardenweb sharing your daylilies as we all do!

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Whoops! Thank you. Didn't mean to tread on your daylilies!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I don't want to sound unwelcomng. But you might be wondering why no one comments on your lovely blooms. And it is confusing because on many other sites everyone posts thier shots all on one single daily thread. We just do it differently here. And then of course we all comment on each others threads and blooms.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

hmmm... didn't know Gardenweb allowed people to "claim" threads...

and it is unwelcoming and rude.

I didn't just register... actually been with GW pretty much from the beginning... and I didn't realize some of the forums had such "rules"

personal blogs are created by individuals. Forums are open discussion forums. Sorry if my bluntness is rude...

ever notice how much squash blossoms resemble daylilies?! But they are better to eat!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Donna, your daylillies are lovely. I especially like Fresh Start.

bk

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought that if the pictures were shown in their own thread then there would be more comments on them. I am not trying to be unwelcoming, in fact the opposite. I would like all newcommers to join in and have a great time here along with the rest of us. I am sorry I said anything to upset anyone. Not my intent, only trying to help.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms by all of you, Rita, Donna & Idiothe.

tj

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I have nice daylilies and roses too, but where are the hostas and dwarf conifers to keep the garden going when daylilies and roses had their bloom?
    Bernd

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I wouldn't dare post any daylilies but my sign may be okay to post. it was given to me by a fellow gardener and also makes me smile. Nice lillies

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great sign!!!

• abbydales
    10 years ago

Oh Rita, that Tennessee Afterglow is amazing!
    Love it!
    Sharon

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Tennessee Afterglow and Oye Veh are just great. Avedon

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I say Oye Veh to all of them what a great looking group of blooms.
    Linda

• lynxe
    10 years ago

Bravo, Rita, for the best-looking ROCKS CRY OUT other than in Korth's. Now I REALLY want that daylily!

And ditto on TENNESSEE AFTERGLOW for a great-looking flower. In the past, I've seen oodles of so-so images of a flower I could not imagine making space for. After seeing that picture, I could be happy with that one, too.

I wonder? Is it all the rain we've had? Yesterday, Gossard's NEON FLAMINGO was an intense, screamingly dramatic pink -- a neon pink, just as the registration data says it should be. I've had this one since its intro year, and it's always been...OK. Fine. A good pink, and I don't have many good pinks. But "good" isn't the same as "neon," if you ask me.

So I wonder....maybe I (we?...I, for sure) don't water as much as we should? Maybe we think we're watering enough, when in fact, we don't?

Back to Rita's images: The hybridizer of TENNESSEE AFTERGLOW is in Tennessee. TA may be quite hardy (I don't know too much about it), but if anyone has doubts about being able to grow it, consider SPIRIT ZONE, by Canadian hybridizer Bryan Culver, as an alternative.

Delaware Donna -- Hello! How long have you had CAMERON QUANTZ? Because, other than ditch lilies, STELLA, and such, that has got to be the biggest daylily clump I've ever seen. Large clumps like that can be so effective as a landscaping element, and I always really like the effect when I see it. But, as an unrestrained, out of control collector, I've never been able to discipline myself to allot so much space to one cultivar. Although I have been thinking about ways to incorporate ditch lilies, of all things, into a mass planting.

I don't have too much to say about BENCHMARK, other than that I like it. The color is very pretty. I have only two Munsons, both fairly new to the garden. I know they're very popular -- in fact, there are people with enormous Munson collections -- but I never got around to collecting them. By the time I thought about it, I was focusing on newer, northern plants by and large.

I have been trying to add more lavender daylilies (I think I have only two or three). Not necessarily that Munson, however, despite the good color - this garden is mostly a zone 6, and you're in zone 7. It's interesting how a difference of just one zone, or even half of a zone, can enable someone to grow a daylily beautifully, and someone else to not do too well with it. So I probably wouldn't seek out that Munson, but rather, a northern-hybridized lavender. (Suggestions welcomed from everyone!)

OTOH, I don't usually follow the evergreen-dormant thing when choosing. BENCHMARK is an evergreen, but so is one of my all-time favorite daylilies here: the lavender BEYOND THE SKY, by Mort Morss, and an evergreen. I have a great clump of it now, so it's been hardy so far.

Anyway, I am rambling all over the place, when I had something IMPORTANT to say....

idiothe, don't be ridiculous. Don't you realize that daylilies are very tasty. ;) ;) ;)Seriously, while deadheading last night, I had some still fresh-looking blooms in hand, and I was too hot & tired to walk to a compost pile. So I ate them. In fact, I stuck some pollen on flower this a.m., and then I ate the anthers. (Things I would not do if I sprayed here.) I have read discussions about eating daylily flowers, and if I recall, the paler ones are supposed to be tastier, with darker ones not so good. Just so you know. :)

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Lynxe - Thank you for your kind remarks. I didn't get it at first when the thread said multiple blooms. So I posted multiple blooms (Cameran Quantz) like a ninny. I originally started with two plants in front of the window and divided them about three years ago. This is a prolific bloomer as you can see. I'm not a collector with only a small garden surrounding the perimeter of my town home. Are most of the lillies here tetraploids?

Now I know - multiple blooms are just that - multiple blooms on a scape.

I've had the Benchmark for years. The original plant was a gift from my sister. And yes, I have a "drift" of them also.

Seriously, all the photos posted are absolutely stunning.

DD

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Rita, ROCKS CRY OUT is just incredible! What a fabulous addition to your beautiful garden.

Donna, your photo of BENCHMARK is really lovely. I've had it for three years, and it finally bloomed a little this year. Mine certainly cannot measure up to yours! It should have done well here in our zone - but it just drags along. Also, many of us here on this forum are totally devoted (or should I say "addicted') to all varieties of daylilies, not just tetraploids. I have some diploid seedlings worth fighting over!

Nancy

• lynxe
    10 years ago

I love my diploids. It makes sense if you hybridize tets to not waste room or other resources on diploids, and I'm sure there are people who grow only tets. If I like a plant, I get it, and I don't concern myself with ploidy. And there are hybridizers who usually or often register diploids. Maybe a new discussion on favorite dips? Has it been done before?

I still can't get over that ROCKS CRY OUT. Incredible is right.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!