Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

More blooms from the past few days

Julia WV (6b)
11 years ago

I've been spending time getting my garden path done or at least 98% done :-), planting some bearded iris, planting some of my potted daylilies and trying to figure out where some of the others will go and then deciding which ones from the front garden will go to my back garden. Herbs are in at last. All this craziness as soon as we got some much needed rain on Thursday evening into all day Friday. Still need more rain though but at least the ground was workable.

Here are some pics of blooms over the last couple of days and I'm not even going to figure out which are lates, mids, etc. The season is so out of whack that I'll just enjoy what is left of it.

LAURA HARWOOD - first couple of openings were blemished but then she went into overdrive. I'm noticing it is very much just above the foliage this year.

CANTER - this one is always a pleasure to see blooming. No problem with scape height nor bloom size being on target.

BROWN WITCH - took a bad hit when we had the snow storm in the spring and then the hard freezes. Very little scapes and blooms this year.

CASTLE ROSE BELLE - another nice double. Can't remember if I showed this one before or not so here goes again.

WESTBOURNE KIRBY KID'S PLAYTIME - nothing special about the bloom.

LIGHT OF THE WORLD - lower than normal budcount this year. Usually puts on quite a show but this year...well, I think we all have suffered a bit.

KAMA SUTRA - I have no idea why Curt would have given a daylily that name unless he wanted to push some AHS buttons.

I still like the bloom but unfortunately, it does not have a high budcount.

LONGLESSON MANGO GLOW - this is a blooming machine when it gets going. Another good garden plant from Melanie Mason.

SOUTH SEAS - a big disappointment this year but then again, not the best season, at least for me. Very short scapes and the blooms are small this year.

SOMBRERO WAY- I got this pic very early in the morning the other day. Always a trooper in the garden.

{{gwi:869336}}

PENNY PINSLEY - went into overdrive the other day. I just love this tiny double bloom.

SPRING MYSTIQUE - almost finished here. Enjoyed this one.

ST HELENA YOUTH - usually puts on a great show but this year...not as budded.

STARTLE - has done better.

SPACECOAST EASY RIDER - not a huge budcount but makes its presence known.

FORTY SECOND STREET - another double that I enjoy.

This is a pic I took a few days ago,which is just a small section of the garden as it is winding down.

{{gwi:869351}}

{{gwi:869353}}

That is it for this round.

Suppose to have thunderstorms this afternoon and it is quite hot and humid out so hopefully we cool off tomorrow.

Julia

Comments (11)

• shive
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It sounds like you've been busy moving things around and planting. Unfortunately it hasn't been cool enough for me to do that, even though we got rain several times. I did spend an hour and a half digging grass out of my seedling bed early this morning.

The clump of Laura Harwood is gorgeous - short scapes or not. Spring Mystique has an outstanding pattern, and the landscape shot is fabulous. So many pretty colors dancing in the breeze! Thanks for sharing your photos!

Debra

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Lovely, lovely clumps and those last two pictures are stunning. So much color and bloom, just wonderful. I have a lot of favorites here. Love the color on BROWN WITCH and ST HELENA YOUTH. And love the two yellows, CANTER and LONGLESSON MANGO GLOW.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Oh, Julia, you just made my day. I have a few pics I am going to post shortly, but nothing like yours. We have gone back into a dry spell, and when I walk around mostly what I see is yellow or brown foliage, it is so discouraging. Our South Seas evidently didn't do much because of the heat, very disappointing--it's usually one of the best. Your clump shots and garden view pics are totally marvelous, especially Laura Harwood, it just looks so dramatic. Fab color on St. Helena Youth, and what a pattern Spring Mystique has!! As for Kama Sutra, I had to laugh at that one--this flower seems a little tame for such a name. Anyway, a great group of flowers, know you enjoy them. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I saw today while watering some perennials I bought last week that RAMBUNCTIOUS ROSIE has sent up another scape.
    If you saw that same garden section today that I posted at the end, you'd be wondering "where are all the blooms". It will be a sea of dead scapes soon. :-(. I guess I won't feel too bad when I start moving plants around as there are no blooms to worry about. So many blooms just didn't do well this year and others never skipped a beat.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

South Seas also did very little here, and usually it is prolific.

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Julia, everything looks beautiful.. I especially like Laura Harwoods clump, Canter and light Of The World. Your garden shots are fantastic...Ellie

• houstmag
    11 years ago

In spite of the weather you still have some really pretty blooms. I don't know were you find the energy to do so much work in the heat of summer, I have all I can do to keep the garden watered.
    Linda

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Things might be winding down for you, but you still have a ton blooming in those last photos. My favorites are Light of the World and Canter. Great photos!

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Love the last two garden shots, great views!
    Lots of pretty daylilies, hard to pick just one or two. Love Laura Harwood clump. Penny Pinsley is so cute, love the pic. Canter is pretty and I love the edge. Castle Rose Belle is a very pretty double and I love the color of St Helena Youth.
    What's the normal budcount for your Light of the World? Mine had it's last flower yesterday :( And in spite of very bad bud drop it was still one of the best plants here, lots of blooms.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mantis: I can only assume the lack of water and perhaps the late snowstorm and hard freezes we had this spring set SS back. It was doing so good when we had the spring warm up and then downhill. It is one of the ones I plan to move to the back garden.

Linda: I'm willing to sweat a bit to get the pounds off from all the ice cream I've been eating the past month LOL.

nat4b: I usually will get about 12 - 15 buds per scape on LOTW here. I still like this one even with the bad budcount this year.

Ellie and Chris: Thanks for the comments. I took the photos of the one garden section last Thursday. Now, only a few blooms remain as of today. Sorry site for sure but makes it much easier to start moving plants.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Love the garden shots, and Spring Mystique is really a pretty thing. However, when you show Laura Harwood looking so gorgeous, and first picture! Well, nothing else stands a chance with that kind of competition. So much is still blooming in your garden. thanks for sharing.
    kay

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus