Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Thursday Dayliles, Clumps and Homely Cat

maximus7116
10 years ago

I managed to take these before a big thunderstorm arrived bringing some welcome rain.

CONCRETE BLONDE decided to open the season with a bang:

FRIEDA ALLEN JARRELL is a pretty lavender:

INTEGRATED LOGISTICS cozied up to LOVE IN VAIN:

UNFOLDING PARADOX FFO had some nice pinching:

SWEET SUMMER HEAT brightens up the shady part of the garden:

PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL will be moved out of the weed & shade garden into a better spot next year:

HEAVENLY ANGEL ICE will also get moved:

CLOWN PARADE has been the most phenomenal performer in its first year. I've never had a plant with this kind of increase or bud count after one year. A+++ plant.

CLAUDINE'S CHARM (because I can't go a day without posting this one). If you notice all the buds, you'll see how many more photos I'll have to post:

And finally, the cat photos. I need to compete with Debra and her beautiful garden companions, so I'm showing you my homely garden buddy, Bosco:

I told him he would look more handsome if he smiled for you:

Chris

Comments (20)

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Chris, all your flowers are phenomenal, I cannot pick a favorite because all of them must be favorites. I have been scrolling up and down for awhile enjoying the terrific show. This post goes on my Clippings page, and as for Bosco, that's what I call "Cattitude"--he has it in spades, I think. Avedon

• deangreen
    10 years ago

the photo of that yellow concrete is wonderful! bang pow!

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Bosco looks like a wonderful garden buddy. And Wow, I love Concrete Blonde!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WOW!!, I just about busted when I got to BOSCO's smile.Hes the winner in these photos..Looks like a real charmer. LOVE IN VAIN: is a beauty, I love that one. and
    CLOWN PARADE just cant be beat. its a beauty.I would post CLAUDINE'S CHARM every day, too. its gorgeous and my favorite today, along with BOSCO.

jean

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

Yes! I must move my Concrete Blonde as it is clearly in too much shade. It needs to look like yours, lol. And, yes, do move HAI (grin).

Your Patricia Snider Memorial looks like what I think it should look like. Very nice. My doggone soil really does a number on color for some.

Claudine's Charm is very very happy! Wonderful!

Love your Bosco with one ear up and one down. I think ginger kitties are especially special. He has such personality!

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone -- and Bosco thanks you, too.

Yes, Katie, you move your Concrete Blonde and I'll move my Heavenly Angel Ice and then we'll compare notes.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Both your flowers and your cat have attitude, especially Unfolding Paradox and Concrete Blonde. Integrated Logistics and Love in Vain are a bit more demure in their exhibition. I'm glad I picked up Claudine's Charm. I thought that some reports had it as low bud count, but certainly not in Michigan.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Concrete Blond, Clown Parade, Claudine's Charm and Bosco. what more could you ask for. An cat of Bosco's color has been spending a lot of time in my garden. It may be a female (doesn't have that wide male face) or a young one. It won't let me pet it, but sits about 5 or 6 feet away and meows at me when I make a meow sound to it.kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All of them are wonderful. Lots of buds to go and who wouldn't want to see CONCRETE BLONDE show off. CLAUDINE'S CHARM certainly loves your garden climate. Here, it is not so budded but I just got it last fall so we shall see next year. Increases nicely though.
    LOL about Bosco. Most of us seem to have a garden buddy.

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Concrete Blonde is putting on quite a show! I just got that one last July from a local-ish daylily garden and mine is doing pretty well so far. It started blooming on July 9th.

I believe it was your pictures of Claudine's Charm a few years ago that influenced me to buy it three (or maybe two) years ago - this is the first year it's blooming and wow, do I ever love it. It just started blooming this week. The branching looks pretty good too.

Sweet Summer Heat looks wonderful, I love orange.

Bosco, and your statement about the last picture made me crack up. He looks very sweet.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mantis, Kay and Julia -- Bosco appreciates the attention.

Regarding Claudine's Charm, I just went to check bud count and branching and had to review the "branching" explanation on the AHS website. It appears I have 4-way branching with lots of sub-branching. Bud count was 23.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Twix, I'm so glad you're trying Claudine's Charm. Maybe our Michigan weather is just what she needs. (That would be a first -- having our frozen tundra be the perfect climate for a daylily.) Post some pics!

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Bosco sure looks like he has a lot of personality. Must be a great garden companion.
    As for the daylilies there are so many beauties it's hard to pick favorites. I love Claudine's Charm and sure hope mine grows up to perform as well as yours does. Clown Parade is one I guess I have to get even though I've vowed not to buy any more. First time I've seen Sweet Summer Heat and it looks fabulous. I like them all!
    Val

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val, I had to add Clown Parade after seeing it here on the forum. I can't remember who posted photos first. Julia, perhaps? I'm so glad I made room for it. It's outstanding.

• shive
    10 years ago

When I got the photo of Bosco's smile, I just cracked up laughing. He looks like he's laughing. I've never seen a cat do that before, and, as you know, I hang out with plenty of cats. Bosco does have loads of personality. As for the daylilies, I'm very impressed with the Concrete Blonde clump and the Claudine's Charm clump. Claudine has never had that much charm in my garden. I watered her extra good today, and talked to her about sending up some scapes. I think she's protesting about still living in a pot after five years. Clown Parade must love your garden as much or more than Claudine. I guess there's good reason the price hasn't come down on that one. Sweet Summer Heat is such a sizzling beauty, and I always love a good Patricia Snider Memorial photo. Integrated Logistics and Love In Vain look so nice together! Finally, Unfolding Paradox is a fantastic shade of purple with just the right amount of pinching. Very nice show today!

Debra

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debra, yes Bosco does have a lot of character. He had surgery on his ear a year or two ago and it's flopped ever since. I think it gives him a rakish look, don't you?

You grow Clown Parade, right? Singing Oakes (where I purchased mine) has it pretty inexpensively this year. I think I might have to look into other Selman intros.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I always have to give kudos to the cats first, and Bosco is a real dandy. The male ginger's I've owned always had an outgoing personality with a bit of attitude thrown in for good measure. The folded ear just adds to Bosco's street creds with all the other local cats .......Concrete blonde is a real showoff in your picture. Sweet Summer Heat is also getting my attention. Actually they are all very pretty and I'm glad your shared them with us........Maryl

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Chris, I'm really good about taking pictures but am horrible about getting them onto my pc and resized. Uploading is a whole other pain in the rear. I did some last weekend, I'll try to do some more this weekend and eventually try to do a post with some of my faves. Work really cuts into my flower time! Laura

• houstmag
    10 years ago

WHAT a cat Bosco is a winner, you have some real pretty daylilies to. I have to agree with you Claudine's Charm is my favorite to I guess another one goes on the list.
    Linda

• shive
    10 years ago

Chris - Bosco does have a rakish look! I don't grow Clown Parade. I may get it at some point if the price comes down. I almost bought it from Singing Oakes this spring when I was replacing a couple I thought I'd lost. Amazingly both of those showed back up this year after being missing in action for the previous two years. Another Selman I would recommend is Jazz After Five - very nice blue purple color. Blue Corn Moon is a nice one too.

Debra

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm