Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Firsts and Lasts from the Weekend

maximus7116
10 years ago

Without many lates and no rebloom here, the daylily season sure seems short this year.

CHATEAU BELAIR, a Hanson planted last year, had its FFO:

GANGSTER OF LOVE doing great this year:

SELF-DETERMINATION, although a smaller flower at about 4 inches, has been a blooming fool:

CATCH THE WIND:

CONCRETE BLONDE, still blooming beautifully:

SUNRISE SUNSET BEAUTIFUL (because I do grow a few flowers that aren't Hansons) listened when I threatened to ship it off, although the flowers still seem to have difficulty fully opening:

BOTTICELLI, a floriferous old Munson:

BLOSSOM QUEEN had its FFO and it's always my last to bloom, so I know the season is almost over for me:

From one of the sunflower seeds the birds and chipmunks left behind:

Comments (12)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Chateau Belair is luscious. Looks much darker than your preview bloom last year.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis, we had such cool temps last night and this morning that all the daylilies were much darker. I think the color in Hanson's catalog is somewhere between the two I posted.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

You have so many beautiful watermarked DLS, that's something I really like, too. Concrete Blonde is so bright, can't miss it. Love that rose-pink of Botticelli, and the pale pink of Blossom time, and I like the sunflower, too, that's a biggie.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I can't decide between Self Determination and Blossom Queen. All so pretty.
    kay

• sglobig
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful, Maximus7116, but my fave is definitely Self Determination. (Is there a correlation between the names of our faves and our personalities??)
    And that sunflower....all the chipmunks do for me is tunnel through the beds and under the terrace and tear things up. That was surely a special surprise for you! Sharon

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow. CHATEAU BELAIR is a beauty.I am loving all the watermarks.SELF-DETERMINATION is a beauty, even if it is a smaller one. its just gorgeous.CATCH THE WIND is alful pretty, too.BLOSSOM QUEEN is gorgeous, too, and I love that sunflower.I planted some seed real early, to transplant later in the yard, but after they came up,I forgot to go water them and lost them all.,I had them in my utility room where I have lots of light.next time, I will jey wait and plant them outdoors at right time.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

Gangster of Love looks to be a tall one, based on how far down the bench is in this photo. I like it and Chateau Belair a lot! The other three Hansons look like nice ones too! And who doesn't love a sunflower?

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

So many nice ones. Maybe I'm just in a pink mood today, but my favorites are CATCH THE WIND and BLOSSOM QUEEN.
    Val

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Is it possible to have too many watermarks in the garden?

Debra, Gangster of Love is supposed to be 38" tall, but tends to grow taller here, as do a lot of the Hansons. For some reason I had one tall blooming scape and one short one this year.

• growgirl
    10 years ago

Botticelli gets my vote for the day. All are lovely though! I agree with you that the season seems short this year. Going outside tonight I realized just how many are about done in my yard. I only have one plant with 2 rebloom scapes and that is all I can find :( At least I have a few lates that are still putting on a decent show. Makes me sad!

Amy

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Love Self Determination I wish mine looked as good. I think I need to harden my heart and send it to the big garden in the sky.
    Linda

• deangreen
    10 years ago

what a pretty clump of sunrise sunset