Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

What's Blooming at Shive's

shive
15 years ago

These are blooms from the past few days. The gardens were so amazing this year. I can't believe it will be mostly over in another week.

LYRICAL PRESENCE is still blooming its heart out

{{gwi:652089}}

FIRST KNIGHT clump

{{gwi:869878}}

WIZARD'S WISH

{{gwi:869879}}

SPACECOAST PEACH FRINGE

{{gwi:869881}}

TRANQUIL WATERS

{{gwi:662187}}

VICTORIAN LACE

{{gwi:869884}}

ACQUIRE THE FIRE

{{gwi:869885}}

Ram

{{gwi:869886}}

PALACE GARDEN BEAUTY

{{gwi:869887}}

PARADISE CITY

{{gwi:869888}}

SPIRITUAL CORRIDOR

{{gwi:869889}}

JOHN DOUGLAS SULLIVAN

{{gwi:869890}}

MARY LIGHTFINE

{{gwi:869891}}

BOLD HERITAGE with TOPGUN'S HELEN JONES

{{gwi:869892}}

CHOCOLATE RUFFLES

{{gwi:869893}}

MAGNIFICENT RAINBOW

JENNY BUTTERFIELD

Debra in Nashville, TN

Comments (35)

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The unusual forms have been splendid too.

ORCHID FOREST
    {{gwi:869898}}

COOL TWISTER
    {{gwi:869900}}

WATCHYL LADY BUTTERFLY
    {{gwi:869902}}

LONG JOHN SILVER
    {{gwi:869904}}

FIRESTORM
    {{gwi:869906}}

Debra

• amateur_expert
    15 years ago

Beautiful - all of them! I especially liked Victorian Lace and Chocolate Ruffles.

Christine

• Nancy
    15 years ago

What lovelies you have! Everyone says Victorian Lace is a good daylily & I really like the substance it has. I am wanting a red daylily with a bit of edge, it looks like Acquire the Fire has a bit, like that bright red. And Chocolate Ruffles is really pretty with that white ruffled edge, especially like that one. I don't have any with real blue eyes, so of course I admire those and I always liked spiders. Surprising because I loathe the 8 legged variety. They are all just so beautiful, thanks for the show!

• tjhemmer
    15 years ago

Great looking daylilies. Traquil Waters and Palace Garden Beauty are by far my favorite.

Keep the pictures coming

Tom

• MaxBaerHems
    15 years ago

Totally Awesome Debra....so many beauties! Thanks!

Rick

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ngraham - Victorian Lace is an outstanding daylily. If you don't have it, you should get it. Acquire the Fire is my most sunfast red, and when its established its supposed to have more than 40 buds per scape. I'm looking forward to that in the future.

Debra

• Edward_Kimball
    15 years ago

Debra,

That is the best picture of Victorian Lace I have ever seen. I don't have any scapes on mine yet but I keep looking every day.

Edward

• mlwgardener
    15 years ago

I was just being good scrooling down, drooling as usual and them BAM! Chocolate Ruffles" jumped out and slapped me! It's new to me but it is soooooo great! Another one to the list.
    They are all so beautiful and I sure enjoyed the tour. Blessings, Mona

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Great daylilies. Since there is so much blooming, you will just have to keep on taking pictures and posting. Hint, hint.

• i_c_dillies
    15 years ago

Debra,
    Beautiful photos.
    ACQUIRE THE FIRE.... NEED to get that one. I have Cranberry Supreme, also by E. Olson, but it isn't that vibrant of a red.
    Also love WATCHYL LADY BUTTERFLY, LONG JOHN SILVER, and FIRESTORM.
    Thanks for sharing you wonderful photos.

Lrae

• okbt
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!You always have beauties! Now where are those blues?

• njmomma
    15 years ago

NICE! Lyrical Presence just went on my wish list. IT looks so beautiful! Acquire the Fire looks amazing too!

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Edward - Thanks for the compliment about VICTORIAN LACE. I'm never satisfied with my photos of that one. Somehow my photos never capture how truly magnificent that daylily is. It's definitely one in a million, and always makes me think of very rich, creamy vanilla ice cream.

Rita - There's really not much blooming here compared to a few days ago. By Monday, I'll mostly have lates and some rebloomers with flowers.

Okbt - I have two more new blues that have scapes. So by next weekend I should be posting photos of BOBBY MARTIN and ASHWOOD BLUE HIGHWAY. I may do a blue thread later in the summer.

Debra

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Oh, good Lord, what a bunch of beauties!
    Ram caught my attention with its unique shape and white midribs.
    Even though I'm not a big fan of reds, CHOCOLATE RUFFLES is a standout, with its fine white edge.
    Long John Silver is breathtaking! Just bought and planted mine this Spring. Hope it blooms as well as yours looks!

Thanks for sharing your beauties!

Julie

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

WOW!! What some beauties you have.Victorian Lace is always my favorite.I simply love that one.I really like Mary Lightfine too and Wizard's Wish is fantastic and well as First Knight.All beauties.Thanks for sharing them.

Jean

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Julie - LONG JOHN SILVER has a lovely bloom, but the plant has not done well for me - yet. It used to be in too much shade, and the scapes didn't get as tall as they should and bud count was low. Also, the plant didn't multiply much. I lost the butterfly bush that was shading it last year in the drought, and I hoped LJS would fare better this season. But the scapes are only slightly taller - 24 inches when they're supposed to be 40 inches. It may just need another year to recover from drought, or there may be something about the soil there causing the problem. I hope your flourishes and blooms well for you.

Debra

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

So many fabulous dl's...I can't pick a fav. but love them all....keep posting those photos.
    Jan

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Debra- I am so much into bloom season now that I just dread the thought of it being over. Last year I had hardly anything so it wasn't such a big dead. This year the daylilies are fantastic here. Lots to go of course but now I can really start to understand the daylily withdrawal at the end of bloom season. One of the reasons I started a garden for late bloomers here this year was to try and keep some blooms coming as late in the season as possible. Also hoping for rebloom but we will see how that goes.

I always love your postings and have added daylilies here that you had pictures of last year. I especially remember you dipps post last year with AUTUMN WOOD and MOONLIT MASQUERADE and I blought and planted them here.

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rita,
    I hope AUTUMN WOOD and MOONLIT MASQUERADE do great for you!

Debra

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Well, actually AUTUMN WOOD has no scapes or blooms and MOONLIT MASQUERADE only afew. I am going to have to chop limbs off the neighbors Holly tree that is growing over my fence line that I think is giving them too much shade.

• ladylovingdove
    15 years ago

Super photos as usual. Taking good pictures is hard work, lighting etc. Your pictures are always so clear. What kind of camera do you have? Thanks for posting as always.

Dot

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

all are so lovely. I'm looking for another white and your picture of First Knight is really pretty. Is it as white as Joan Senior?

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dot - My camera is a Nikon D-70. It really belongs to my husband, who is kind enough to let me use it.

Maryl - FIRST KNIGHT is not as white as JOAN SENIOR. It is a light cream yellow. It is, however, one of those daylilies that never has a bad hair day and is always ready to be photographed.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Thanks Debra for the information on First Knight. Even if it isn't as white as Joan your picture of it is luscious. If you have any whites like Joan I hope you post them.

• mareas
    15 years ago

Debra ~ those are the best photos YET!!
    Your Tranquil Waters shot made me GASP. And the Chocolate Ruffles portrait ~ omigawd!
    [the ol MUST HAVE IT is flaring up, dang...]
    The clarity and detail, viewpoints, backgrounds ~ everything is just perfect. Brava!
    Off to take more practice photos *grin* marea

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marea - Thanks so much! My husband was a good photography teacher.

Debra

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

Debra, what joy your garden must be. (I'll bet your neighbors love it too.) Your photography is always tops. I was thinking as I looked at your pics that that was the best picture of Victorian Lace I have ever seen and then I noticed that I was not the only one who thought so. We need rain just south of you - don't know if you have gotten any lately or not. Please keep posting your pics.

Ann

• mizellie
    15 years ago

Debra, those are great shots and you have many beautiful daylilies. Looks like mine are on the way out. Thanks for showing your beauties...Ellie

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Wow... beautiful. I would love to walk your gardens! Thank you so much for sharing all the lovelies!

• maximus7116
    15 years ago

Debra -- I've been away from the Forum during the holiday and finally got a chance to look at the recent threads. Of course, yours was the first I had to look at so I could enjoy your gorgeous photos. I don't think I can pick a favorite!

BTW, I don't have ET any more (gave it all away), and didn't realize deleting my photo would mess up Hortiplex. Ellie may have a photo, though.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Difficult to pick favorites when there are so many really great ones to choose from. Debra, how many daylilies do you think you have?

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Hmm... I better not ever find out where you are... I have been known to drive 4 hours for daylilies... TN is pretty close to Texas. I can think up a good country song for this...

Gonna get me some daylilies out in Tennessee
    Me and my shuvel headin' down the road

Better watch out, cuz I'm on my way
    to find me some good'ens at Shive's abode

• shive
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chris - Didn't ET grow well for you?
    Rita - I probably have almost 400 now, and that's way too many for me to properly take care of.
    Michelle - You are too funny. However, if you'd like to come weed in exchange for a dozen daylilies, that could be arranged.

Debra

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Weeds for daylilies! Shoot woman, I got tons of those...

Oh, wait, you want me to get RID of your weeds. :o) That sounds like a great exchange program! :o)

You must have quite the range out there... 400! Geesh, I looked at my flower softwear and realized I have 138!! OMG. I have a problem.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Bumping this up for the picture of Tranquil Waters. Mine is blooming much lighter than that. I would never even recognize it as the same daylily.