Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Friday Part One All Singles

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Part one are the single flowers from today. Every thing else is in part two. Had a time of it this morning, my camera batteries died and I had to go to Staples to get more as my spares were dead too. So I am late today.

Tikal Maid one of my favorite Culver intros.

YO BIG MOUTH FFO

WATERMELON LUMINOSITY. It really is this color and it really does glow! Absolutely beautiful daylily.

Sugar Plum Jam FFO. It's quite big.

Star Of The North FFO an Emmerich intro.

Fear Not an Emmerich intro.

Doc Webster. I just love this daylily.

Shimmering Red Satin FFO.

Pearlfisher Pink

Mississippi Man

Lotus Position. Best flower it has had this year.

Rodger Herr FFO

August Groom

Moms Pink Divinety FFO. This is a very large bloom.

Comments (28)

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

All super nice ones, Rita!!! Mama's Pink Divinity is my absolute favorite, though. What a stunner! Does it have a high bud count?

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

Watermelon Luminosity is breathtaking! Like Fear Not and Shimmering Red Satin too. They sure would rev up my garden.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

You have some nice ones there. I'm not so much a fan of the dark red/maroon shades, but I see many of yours that look good. My favorite from this batch is Roger Herr, with Star of the North a close 2nd. I like the pattern on Yo Big Mouth too. Are any of these darker colors sunfast?.....Maryl

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cracking- It probably does not as it is a really big flower. New in the spring of 2010 and that was the year of the excessive record breaking heat with 6 weeks of no rain during bloom season. So new stuff didn't do much last year. This year it just started so we will see. It is darker than last year but all my daylilies have such vivid color this year. This is not my usual form but I just love this flower!

wren- I do love lots of color but Watermelon Luminosity absolutely stands out from the crowd.

• shive
    12 years ago

Watermelon Luminosity and Fear Not really stand out to me because of their saturated colors, so I pick them as my favorites.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maryl- They are pretty sunfast in the normal temps around here. Last year it was so hot everything melted. Not sure they would be sunfast in the hot summer temps out your way.

Debra- I am really surprised as I was sure you would pick Moms Pink Divinety since you really like spiders and UFOs.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Very pretty group, Rita, No doubt though, I like Lotus Position out of this group.

kay

• shive
    12 years ago

Rita - I do like Mom's Pink Divinity AND Sugar Plum Jam, I just fell in love with those saturated colors on the other two. I'm surprised you've added so many spidery ones. They must be growing on you.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kay- It is about time Lotus Position had a great flower. Best one so far this year. Same problem last year. I do like the flower but I don't like the fact that the early flowers so far have not been up to snuff.

Debra- Actually I redid that entire veggie bed section last year and planted daylilies. But they are all my usual preferred form. Thse two are the only oddly shaped ones there. But I truely like them both and neither is going anywhere. Both keepers for me.

• mlwgardener
    12 years ago

August Groom is winning out for me. the Watermelon one is also gorgeous. Great photos as usual. Thanks for sharing and blessings to all, Mona

• casey261
    12 years ago

So many pretties! I love the big bold watermarks on YO BIG MOUTH and LOTUS POSITION. I guess those are watermarks, anyway. Most watermarks seem to just be a lighter shade of more or less the same color as the flower, but part of what I like about these 2 is that it provides such a nice contrast to the flower color. The color of WATERMELON LUMINOSITY is absolutely lovely as well.
    Casey

• katladie
    12 years ago

Too many beautiful ones to pick a favorite. Love those pinks and Watermelon Luminosity is outstanding. Love Sugar Plum Jam too, it is a happy flower.

Sharon

• celeste/NH
    12 years ago

Very pretty, all of them! All are such intense colorations.
    I love the look of 'Lotus Position', but when you said it is stingy with good blooms I decided my favorite is 'Yo Big Mouth'. (Plus it's name is a riot). As alway, great photos and it's always a delight to look at them.

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mona- Thanks. It is easier taking pictures with my new camera than it was with my old one. I used to have to go thru all sorts of contortions to see and frame thru the viewfinder with the old one. This new one you see the disply on the back so one can hold the camera way away from ones face. Makes life much easier.

Casey- They are watermarks. And Yo Big Mouth sure has a large watermark. Guess that is were it got its name. Plus it is a big bloom. It is amazing to me the diffence in color on it from last year to this year. Such vivid intense color this year compaired to a pale version last year.

Sharon- I was loving the color on Sugar Plum Jam today.

Celeste- Lotus Position is a lovely flower when it is good but it really needs to shape up in my garden. As for the colors, I just can hardly believe how vivid they all are this year. Of course those are morning pictures they do looksome paler by the end of the day but really its like they all drunk up extra color this year.

All are correct to the garden flowers on my moniter. Pictures are as they come off my camera. Not even cropped.

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

Tough to pick favorites out of this group. There are so many nice ones, but I'll go with Mom's Pink Divinity and Fear Not as my co-favorites.
    Val

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, as usual, Rita.I love AGUST GROOM and FEAR NOT.

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

Love that Yo Big Mouth, it must really stand out. Hey, I wondered where your Friday blooms were!
    All nice , Great color on August Groom.
    cindy

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Better late than never I don't mind waiting because the blooms are worth the wait. Yo Big Mouth and August Groom are both spectacular and my favorites of a awesome group.
    Linda

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

YO BIG MOUTH is one I've not seen before. Unique, isn't it? This is a really good collection that you are sharing with us today, so many different styles and colors that it truly is impossible to choose. However, I find that my preferences are changing, mostly due to how badly the vivid ones fade in the sun, so now I am more likely to gravitate toward the paler ones which will at least look the same all day long. Soooooo, having said all of that I pick PEARLFISHER PINK. (Although my real favorite is FEAR NOT, but I fear it would fade.)

Christine

• timberohio
    12 years ago

Yo Big Mouth and Watermelon Luminosity are stunning. I love looking at your photos and your comments on their performance. I'm setting all my poor performers to a sales bed and looking for replacements for their spots. I figured since I had to redo all the beds because of the flood I might as well do them the way I want, now that I know a little more about daylilies than I did when I first started buying them.

Not fun moving 150 registered DL's and about 400 seedlings. Moving all the dips to their own bed first since I don't use them for hybridizing. Most Dips will be sold but I have a few that I just love and won't part with. Will work on the Tets after I harvest seeds this fall. Hate moving them then with winter approaching so I may wait til next spring.

The DL bed that was along the wooded hill side don't get enough sun so I'm moving all those and putting in hosta's and ferns in that bed.

I don't recommend anyone completly redoing their entire yard. It is not fun at all. lol Oh and I still haven't made it around to my front yard to work on it other than to go pull out some plants I needed in the back yard. lol

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all. Everyday I manage to take even more pictures than the day before. I love bloom season!

Christine- Fear Not does not fade. It really holds that color all day long.

Andrea- I am not shy about letting people know if something has turned out to be a dog in my garden. And also if it has been outstanding.

Gosh, I don't envy you all that work and the moving around of all those daylilies. Two years ago I moved just about all my daylilies and redid a big rose bed. It was way more work than I had imagined before I started.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Rita, when your plants are so many like yours, how do you know which is which when you go to dig? I would think it would be very difficult to make sure I dug the right one. Knowing how organized you appear to be, I know you have them marked some special way.

Do you buy your daylilies bare-root or are they already in a pot when they arrive?

• mizellie
    12 years ago

You have a slew of pretties today and It was hard to chose one...I do like Yo Big Mouth and all the others too!! Hahaha!! Ellie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ellie- This post is an old one. I did have these pretties way back on July 1st.

Pippi- I do order my daylilies bare root from many different sources. These days mostly directly from my favorite hybridizers. Well, each clump is marked with a small tag with its name so I know what it is. While my daylilies are spaced more closely than some might put them, it is still very easy to see were each clump ends and there is space under the leaves before the next one. In the spring when they start to grow, it really is easily seen. Later in the year if you need to divide the best thing is to cut the folliage back before doing anything else and then I can easily see what I am working on.

• avedon_gw
    12 years ago

Absolutely amazing again, and there's no way to pick a favorite, since they are all favs, so I will ask you what is the small flowered lavender plant growing behind Don Herr? I really like the looks of it. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Catmint called WALKERS LOW. Fantastic plant. Needs little water, perennial and once it starts flowering in the spring, just keeps going until frost.

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Rita as usual I can't pick a favorite from your gorgeous blooms it's so nice to see so many beauties. My DL's are all done blooming so the only way to get my fix is with everyones postings.
    Linda

• avedon_gw
    12 years ago

Rita, I see misnamed the Roger Herr daylily, must have been thinking of the hybridizer. How strange that I couldn't identify the Walker's Low catmint, because we have it here. It just looks different in your photo. Thanks for the info. Avedon