Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nat4b

Bugs, clumps and 2 FFO

nat4b
11 years ago

Too hot today..

This is Big Easy, can you see a grasshopper in the middle? Last year I had another daylily growing there and I regularly saw green grasshoppers on it too and such spots. That's what they do I believe. There are brown small grasshoppers, I don't know if those do any damage or not

{{gwi:870393}}

One of my three roses opened again. Surprisingly, JBs are not all over it yet. They ate all basil, and are now on wild grapes. But.. I see them in / on the lilies a lot and.. unfortunately on daylilies too

{{gwi:870395}}

I found them on several daylilies, like on this one. I try to knock them off they fly away and return (this is pale pink noid)

{{gwi:870397}}

This is still a good bloom, but after taking pictures, when I went out again to look at them (daylilies I mean), I found that darn JB on Victorian Lace and it already ate a hole in one petal :((

{{gwi:870399}}

Now on to some that had multiples today, and which I posted several times already. I wish they would group together and all look at me for a picture :)

Prediction - love it! But sometimes it will do that (see middle flower)

{{gwi:870402}}

Sherry Lane Carr

{{gwi:870404}}

Nan's First Blush

{{gwi:870408}}

Light of the World - there was more but all on different sides of the clump. Too many buds on top some of the flowers were crowded

{{gwi:870411}}

Couple NOIDs

I really like this noid, color is so bright (not in my pic) and looks good with the green throat; there are too many with the same look to id

{{gwi:870413}}

One next to it and taller had a poly today

{{gwi:870415}}

And couple first flowers

Guilded Appeal - love the edge on this, and there were 4 first flowers today

{{gwi:870417}}

And Bluegrass Memories, the one I really wanted enough to make an unplanned order last fall. The plant is small, the flower is small, and with spots, but I am glad it survived :)

{{gwi:870419}}

Thanks for looking!

Comments (15)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Love that pink NOID. its gorgeous. andNAN'S FIRST BLUSH and VICTORIAN LACE, and love them 2 reds too, you got some beauties.There ought to be some thing you can spray with to kill them bugs, or at least keep them away.

jean

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Don't just knock off the Japanese Beetles, knock them into a cup of soapy water. That way they can't get away and they drown. All of the blooms are really pretty but I love PREDICTION the best.

• shive
    11 years ago

Sherry Lane Carr is my favorite. It makes a pretty clump and has a ton of buds! Prediction is very nice too. That's a fused bloom in the middle - probably caused by weather. It likely won't do that in a more normal summer. The pink NOID is lovely, and I always love Victorian Lace!

Debra

• njmomma
    11 years ago

Nan's First Blush is so pretty!

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

The clump of Nan's First Blush is an arrangement in itself--so nicely proportioned. Are scapes all at registered height?

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

Love the colors of the last one! But I'm a sucker for purple...

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I have LIGHT OF THE WORLD but mine has not started blooming yet. Nice pic of yours.
    NAN'S FIRST BLUSH - how tall does it get? I like the whitish color of it.
    PREDICTION - is bombing here. Same thing what you showed is what is happening on alot of the blooms here. I'm gonna blame it on the weather and see what happens next year.

Nice grouping of pics. Suppose to get hot and humid here again in a few days.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

For goodness sakes, yes. Knock them into soapy water. I got Bluegrass Memories last year too, and I really like it...mine is in shade a good bit of the day, and it intensifies the colors. Nan's first Blush is a lovely clump, and I like both your red NOIDs, and Guided Appeal.
    kay

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Sherry Lane Carr is one of my favorite daylilies--such a great performer and always looks good. Victorian Lace is a beauty. Is Nan's First Blush as white as it looks in the picture? Near whites are some of my favorites.
    Val

• nat4b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody!!

Yeah, I know about JB and soapy water, they drown in just water too. I was just too lazy today morning to do it.

Nan's First Blush is a bit taller this year, 25-26" all scapes. I think it looks creamy white in the picture as this is how it looks. In the morning shade it looks whiter.
    JuliaNY, I don't know why but mine are way earlier this year.
    Prediction was doing this (fused) and doubling last year too, once in a while, usually by the end of blooming.

About heat/sun tolerance - I checked on them at one pm (one!!!) and most of them were not looking good already, curled inward petals, 'cooked' color etc. So sad.

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Oh yes...those ugly, ugly jb's...I just came in from picking them and now around 100 of them are floating & drowning in the bucket. Yuk. Anyway, your blooms are pretty in spite of them. My favorites are Victorian Lace,
    Sherry Lane Carr and Nan's First Blush. I guess I'm loving those cool-colored ones today in the heat.

Celeste

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Oh yes...those ugly, ugly jb's...I just came in from picking them and now around 100 of them are floating & drowning in the bucket. Yuk. Anyway, your blooms are pretty in spite of them. My favorites are Victorian Lace,
    Sherry Lane Carr and Nan's First Blush. I guess I'm loving those cool-colored ones today in the heat.

Celeste

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Not sure which one I like the best, usually one really jumps out at me and screams "look at me"! But they are all so pretty
    and the cool colors are really peaceful.

Rena'

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Sherry Lane Carr is my favorite here along with Nan's First Blush. You really should kill the JP's because they breed so much. The female goes to the grould around the place where she bred with the mail. She lays hundreds of eggs and then she dies but next year, the little grubs are JP's...Ellie

• nat4b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Celeste, Rena', Ellie!
    Ellie, I didn't know about that. I will really try to kill them.