maximus7116

Friday in Michigan

maximus7116
10 years ago

Here's today's picks in hot, hot weather:

ENCHANTING ESMERELDA:

WISPY RAYS, still going strong:

TAHITI SWEETIE:

HALF MOON KEY has been amazing in the weed garden. I can't wait to move this next year:

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER FFO, new to the garden last year:

VULCAN LOGIC looking a little wrinkled in its FFO:

WORTH IT ALL, shedding a tear because this is the only good bloom it has given me this year. Such a beautiful flower, it's too bad it hates Michigan:

FEAR NOT has me puzzled. The color has never been the tomato red in others' photos, and it's always a bi-tone here. Is it really Fear Not?

Chris

Comments (16)

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Chris: My guess is you don't have FEAR NOT. It would not bloom as a bitone. It definitely would be consistent on all the sepals and petals. Did you get it from Karol?

WORTH IT ALL is a cultivar you either love it or hate it because it throws bad blooms. Here, the majority are good openings so I keep it. It is in a south facing garden area and not pampered here.

Tahiti Sweetie looks wonderful but I have to ask. Is it fairly new? From the pic, the scapes look around 24 inches but maybe it is just the camera angle. How many scapes and buds did you get this year?

All lovely photos. So hard to pick favorites so I won't this time.

Julia

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, I like ENCHANTING ESMERELDA, that is very pretty.
    a lot of pretty ones, but,SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER is my favorite one of them all.

jean

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jean -- it's nice to get a vote for the newbie. I like it, too.

Julia, I think the camera angle on Tahiti Sweetie makes it look shorter than it is because it's right around its 35" registered height. It was planted in 2010 and has two fans, two-way branching and 12 buds this year. This is the FFO. I got Fear Not in a trade with a former GW poster who had just acquired it on the LA. It didn't bloom for the first three years and then gave me a bloom or two the next few years. This is the first year it has had more than five blooms. Pretty, but not sure what it might be. Do you grow it?

• shive
    10 years ago

That is a glorious bloom on Tahiti Sweetie. I just love those spicy colors. The Half Moon Key clump is magnificent. By the way, Worth It All hated Tennessee too. It was the ultimate thrip magnet here. I haven't missed it one bit.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

No Chris, I don't but I thought that Rita did or Kay?

Julia

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Has Suddenly Last Summer grown well for you? Someone told me that it makes small fans. That is my fave here, though Tahiti Sweetie is also very nice. (I tend to choose those I don't have.)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Enchanting Esmerelda is my pic for today althought the rest are nice too.......Maryl

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I guess I won't feel guilty about getting rid of Worth It All, if it has problems elsewhere, too.

Mantis, Suddenly Last Summer was just planted last year, so it's too new to evaluate. I was sent a single fan as one of my (many) bonuses from Curt.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Enchanting Esmerelda is such a pretty pink, and I like the Wispy Rays Trio. Half Moon Key another pretty pink and Judy Davisson's Tahiti Sweetie is luscious. Avedon

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Love Tahiti Sweetie, when I tried to get it last year it was sold out. I really need to check on it again. Wispy Rays is one of my favorites, so photogenic! Regarding Fear Not, I got it two or three years ago and this is the first year I've seen it bloom. It has looked like the typical pictures but has also looked bi-color and more pinkish some days. I will load some of my Fear Not photos to allthingsplants... check there for other photos too and see what you think.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Chris, Here is Fear Not in my garden, and, as yu can see, it does sometimes have a bi-tone look. Mine, however, did come from Karol Emmerich, and it is the "Chinese Red" color.

I like Tahiti Sweetie and the Half Moon Key clump is gorgeous.
    That bloom of Worth It All is beautiful as well.

kay

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

Well, maybe it is Fear Not and the bi-tone effect shows up more in northern climates (although it was 90+ again today, so it doesn't feel too northern). Kay, your photo reminds me of Malaysian Marketplace, which I love.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

half moon key gets my vote! very pretty. one thing I really like about a bitone is when the sepals match the color of an eye or something.. anyway, very nice. :0

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

Chris, I was going to suggest No More Tears, but I cannot locate a good picture at the moment. It often looks like a bitone here, but is definitely in the pink range, not red. I tried googling, but the pictures are all over the place (color-wise) and none really matched how it looks here, haha.

After I saw Kay's picture, I was less certain as if yours is in the red range (even if it doesn't match Kay's red), it might still be correct. So many darn things affect color. It looks more red-like on my monitor..

I don't know! I am no help. :(

Friday was definitely a beautiful day in your garden. Given my current state-of-dayily-mind...thinking about WIA (such a great name, too), I would suggest (and agree with you) that one perfect bloom is not enough. See endless rants about Wonder of It All, lol. Or whichever one.

Besides, with so many others who churn out great blooms day after day, who has time for the fussy ones?

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Dean -- I'm fond of bi-tones and bi-colors, too.

Katie, I also grow No More Tears and it's definitely more pink here. I looked at photos of Fear Not from last year and they appear a bit more red, but still always bi-tone. I agree about WIA. I'm also having an issue with Carpenter's Sunrise Sunset Beautiful, which has formed a nice clump but has yet to fully open (and I mean no more than half-way). It looks like that one might have to go, also.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

WISPY RAYS is my favorite.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations