Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Raindrops on Daylilies for Sunday

shive
10 years ago

The Weather Channel says it's not supposed to rain until late afternoon. So what's with the raindrops in the a.m.?

LAVENDER LOVELINESS

MISS DEMEANOR

CAROLINA COOL DOWN

TRANCE clump

TRANCE closeup

NORTH WIND DANCER

SWEET CHILD OF MINE

DIXIE HUMMINGBIRD

ADA MAY MUSICK poly

FINAL TOUCH

COLORADO MOONFIRE keeps blooming and blooming

TECHNY PEACH LACE bouquet

MISSISSIPPI MAGISTRATE

Zuzu napping in the island bed after a hard day of watching mama work in the garden.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 14:49

Comments (23)

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

What a terrific group of daylilies. The clump of Trance is amazing. I'd say it was hard to pick a favorite, but my reaction to Miss Demeanor tells me that's the one. Details, please? How long have you had it?

Great shot of your loyal garden companion, too.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Miss Demeanor is a beauty, and Colorado Moonfire is a wonderful plant. Techny Peach Lace is a beauty too, and Trance is a gorgeous clump.
    kay

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, you have Miss Demeanor. Always had a thing for it the first time I saw it on Judy's website. Unfortunately, the old budget said "you'll have to wait awhile for this". It's listed as SOLD OUT and I can see why. Trance is very pretty, and then the lovely poly on Ada May Musik is such a grabber. Wish our Final Touch had the color of yours, that is very good, and another good color is Colorado Moonfire. Zuzu must be a big help to you and has earned a good rest. Avedon

• Nancy
    10 years ago

TRANCE is my pick, & it was really hard, you have several nice spidery ones! I really like MISS DEMEANOR & North Wind D too. You must have worked Zuzu to death, don'tyou just love a sleeping kitty?

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

No favorites as I like them all. MISS DEMEMEANOR and TRANCE really shine.
    I thought maybe Zuzu was guarding the seed pods for you LOL.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - I got Miss Demeanor last spring but last week is the first time it has bloomed. It multiplies well, but it's in a pot and it doesn't like it - six to eight buds per scape. I think I used really bad soil last year in the pots or the pots totally dried out during the long, long drought. The only plants I put in pots last year that are doing well are some of the Trimmers. The rest have small fans and few buds and seem to almost be killing themselves by blooming. Anyway, I really like the apricot color with lavenders and purples, and the way the sepals curl is very cool. This spring I got Working Overtime and Tahiti Sweetie from Judy, and Reckless Girls was the bonus. WO had a couple of small blooms last week which I did not photograph. Tahitie Sweetie hasn't put up any scapes. I'm having trouble with Miss Goldie Gold Digger and all this rain. When those gigantic blooms get wet, the scapes lean and break. That one needs special attention to deadheading.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

well, FINAL TOUCH is a beauty and my favorite today, but the best photo is the kitty, sleeping amoung the flowers. what pretty kitty;.

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Quite a display of Davissons. The Trance clump photo is entrancing!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Kisses for Zuzu. Hey, that sounds as good as any other daylily name-lol. She is such a sweetie.......I like those bright colors, so Colorado Moonfire really draws my attention. Nice one......Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - Kisses for Zuzu is a great daylily name! I already do have a name in mind with Zuzu in the title. I'm just waiting for the right seedling to bloom. I want to name one Gypsy Cats too.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 23:29

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Ha, weather channel gets it wrong.

You are furtunate to have such a dedicated garden helper as ZuZu. No wonder she needs a nap after all that work.

I just love MISS DEMEANOR. Is that a Davison?

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Does Miss Goldie Golddigger have very lean scapes? I mentioned in another post the problem I was having with Still the One being very spindly. I never thought to look at the size of the scape in photos when I'm ordering, but I may have to do that, especially with these large blooms I'm wanting to add. I really appreciate so many of Hanson's cultivars because of the "stalwart scapes" (his words). When the plants are as tall as many of his, they need that added support.

• hostabff
    10 years ago

You have a beautiful group of daylilies. Like them all, however the color of Miss Demeanor is really different.

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

Oooh, Miss Demeanor is definitely my favorite - although Colorado Moonfire and North Wind Dancer were great contenders too! What an amazing garden you have.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - Miss Goldie Gold Digger has pretty thick scapes, but when those big blooms are wet and the storm winds are blowing, trouble ensues. I may have to put a wire support around them in the future. Strolling in the Roses, which has 40 inch scapes, is another that has scapes leaning after last week's rainstorms.

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

WOW what a stunning group of photos of some truly gorgeous daylilies it's hard to pick a favorite but Lavender Loveliness just kind of jumped out at me so it gets the nod for favorite. I'm glad to see Zuzu taking a much deserved rest after gardening all day.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita - Miss Demeanor is a Davisson. Here are the registration stats:

Miss Demeanor (Davisson-J., 2011)
    height 49in (124cm), bloom 8in (20.5cm), season M, Rebloom, Semi-Evergreen, Tetraploid, 30 buds, 6 branches, Unusual Form Crispate-Cascade, Apricot with a washed yellow watermark and fine yellow edges. (Orange Clown ÃÂ Where Eagles Soar)

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

I liked Colorado Moonfire and tried to look it up to see if it was Ev or at least Semi. Darn. The AHS database's search engine is SO primitive. You have to be absolutely precise. That is, if you're looking for Mary's Gold, don't forget the apostrophe, or you won't find it. In this case, the search engine couldn't find Moonfire because it has it recorded as two words. Colorado Moon Fire works.
    Sorry about the rant, but it's so frustrating. And, no, I am definitely not blaming you for the search engine's shortcomings.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Faraway - So sorry! I got Colorado Moon Fire so long ago, I didn't remember the name was separate words. If you encounter one that you can't find again, just check the option for anywhere in the title. Or if you just type Colorado, a whole list will come up and you can find what you're looking for. I find the AHS database pretty good - better than my memory in most cases.

Debra

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

I wasn't blaming you, Debra, and there's certainly no need to apologize. I was ticked off at the search engine, and not for the first time. I located it by searching for one of the words.

I just find it annoying that the AHS search engine is so primitive.

I'm just one of those old curmudgeons who speaks his mind--some might say, much too freely.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wonderful group today!! I mean yesterday ;)
    I love them all. Nice curls on North Wind Dancer. Love Mississippi Magistrate, and Techny Peach Lace looks great, love the colors and edge.
    Cute sleeping kitty too :)

• blondiesc
    10 years ago

All of them are stunning, but Miss Demeanor is my favorite! Wow!!!

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I bet that cat really needs the rest huh? ha..
    my favorite is a tie with Sweet child and Miss Demeanor. very nice

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?