Cardinal Explosion

Celestial Radience

Always Applique

David Arthur

Jolly Good Fellow

Comments (17)

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Rita, it's always such a pleasure to see pictures of your amazing garden. How green and healthy your plants look! You must certainly be a master gardener!

MAN OF SORROWS and JOLLY GOOD FELLOW are my favorites, but CARDINAL EXPLOSION runs a close second.

Nancy

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I like them all but Jolly Good Fellow is one I will go and look up now :-).

Julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

It's a tie. Butterfly Season and Cardinal Explosion. You have lots of pretty ones coming up now, so it is gettig harder and harder tto choose just one or two, Rita.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone. Nancy, I can't take much credit for them being so green. I put down some fertilizer in the spring as I usually do and then it was the rain, rain and more rain that we have had that make them look so good.

• shive
    10 years ago

Jolly Good Fellow looks so good in a clump, and Purple Maze is showing an especially good pattern today!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh Let the blooms beging. love MAN OF SOROWS and DAVID ARTHUR.JOLLY GOOD FELLOW is BEAUTY, TOO. wish we get some of that rain, here.

jean

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I thought Sure Purple Maze was going to be my favorite, but the daylilies just kept coming :) Man Of Sorrows looks really good, then Cardinal Explosion can't be left out. And then there is the clump of Jolly Good Fellow that looks so nice.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

Purple maze is so dr. seussical!! ha

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Mary Jane had WB Christmas Fruit Punch on the auction a couple of weeks ago--I should have bid, love that color. Butterfly Season always a favorite, and terrific clump of Jolly Good Fellow. I am very much liking Cardinal Explosion, never heard of it. Purple Maze always makes me happy. Avedon

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Rita, I sure do understand what rain can do for daylilies, as it was an unusally rainy year that got me started on this daylily madness. The few I had at that time just took off and exploded with bloom that year, even with their feet standing for weeks in water. We haven't had that kind of rain since, but I keep hoping.

Nancy

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

So many nice ones that it's hard to pick favorites, but a few that stand out for me are Cardinal Explosion, David Arthur and Jolly Good Fellow.
    Val

• sann777
    10 years ago

Well, they are just beautiful. I love the red ones and especially Jolly Good Fellow. Sarah

• lynxe
    10 years ago

Does PURPLE MAZE always or at least usually look like that for you? I'd love to grow it & need to look into how it does in zone 6 gardens.

JOLLY GOOD FELLOW is a favorite of mine. I'm so glad I grow it! For one thing, it's one I don't have to put on a wish list after looking at pictures. I am now seriously considering CARDINAL EXPLOSION and LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE, even though I have enough to do around here as it is without thinking about more daylilies.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I bought Purple Maze on the Lily Auction some years back from Annette Rice. At that time I asked if it would do well up north but she didn't know. I loved the picture because of the unusual color and that fantastic eyezone so much I decided to buy it and take a chance.

Well let me tell you that first bloom season I was wondering why I bought that daylily and wasted my money. Muddy color and not a great eyezone pattern. The following year and ever since it has been gorgeous. One of my very favorites. So it needed the time to settle in but is certainly worth it for those stunning flowers.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful! Yes, I even like Kwanso :) Man Of Sorrows looks very pretty, love Jolly Good Fellow and David Arthur. Freds Early Red is nice and bright too

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Does Always Applique do well for you, coming from the deep South? It must be from before the time you forewore buying any more southern evergreens. That one and the clump of Jolly Good Fellow are my faves.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 13:06

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, It does great and that is why it is still here. I have had it for a long time now. I think it is so pretty.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths