Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

Some blooms from this strange daylily season

KarenPA_6b
9 years ago

Hi! Just want to thank you everyone for posting such wonderful photos of daylily blooms. Due to hectic work and family schedule, I could not comment on all of them but I have enjoyed them greatly. This daylily season has been strange - no nice clumps but individually the flowers have been outstanding. Some that did well last year did terrible this year. Some that were not great last year were really impressive this year with their beauty and color. I just want to share some of my nice ones this season.

New this year:

Planet Max
{{gwi:872344}}

Creature of the Night
{{gwi:872345}}

Gentle Shepherd, the whitest daylily that I have ever seen.
{{gwi:872346}}

Purify My Heart
{{gwi:872347}}

Eight Miles High
{{gwi:872348}}

Comments (14)

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the blooms from previous years plantings that did well this year. Enjoy!

Acquire the Fire, one of the nicest reds that I grow.
    {{gwi:872349}}

{{gwi:872350}}

Dick Bennett, another nice red that does not fade or blotch
    {{gwi:872351}}

Francis of Assissi is really pretty this year, the white edge contrasts nicely with the red.
    {{gwi:872353}}

King Alfred
    {{gwi:872355}}

Spacecoast Blastoff
    {{gwi:872356}}

Wonder of It All
    {{gwi:872357}}

Brookwood Softly Pink
    {{gwi:872358}}

Divine Comfort
    {{gwi:872359}}

Open Hearth did alot better this year.
    {{gwi:872360}}

Forsyth Summer Snow has been a great performer, huge blooms of white though not as white as Gentle Shepherd.
    {{gwi:872361}}

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing these. You have a nice selection of reds, and I have seen Acquire the Fire praised here before. Forsyth Summer Snow has also done well for me, but not this year. Not so sure about Francis of Assisi, as this one always bloomed beneath the foliage for me (which a lot of plants are doing this year). And Wonder of It All has been very frustrating for a lot of growers here (not Jean, though). Are you in the southern part of Zone 6?

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 19:25

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Lovely group, with some beautiful reds. Acquire the Fire is lovely as is Dick Bennett, and Planet Max looks enormous. I particularly like Spacecoast Blastoff, but my favorite is Divine Comfort, a very beautiful bloom and a lovely photo of it.
    kay

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

wow!!! you got some beauties blooming.Planet Max is a beauty. Eight Miles High must be a tall one with a name like that. it isreally pretty, too.Francis of Assissi is my favorite red in your bunch. King Alfred is a pretty one, too and looks like it may be a huge bloom.B. Softly pink is a gorgeous pink,and I really like the whites, or almost white ones. My very favorite one in these is WONDER OF IT ALL. I do love this daylily,and yours is very pretty.

jean

• njmomma
    9 years ago

I'm drooling over here and just added 3 to my wish list, which I had gotten down from 200 to 20 and now it's back up to 50.
    Forsyth Summer Snow
    Aquire the Fire and
    Dick Bennett - what a beautiful form!

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Very nice reds, I don't know that I have a single "real" red here. For a while I was in love with the darker reds & got a few of those, more like your Francis of Assissi, but no true reds. I will have to cure that. I like Spacecoast Blastoff too, just yelling out at me.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Nice daylilies! So many beauties. Love Planet Max, both reds are very pretty, esp like Dick Bennett. Divine Comfort is beautiful. Gentle Shepherd looks so white!
    My Francis of Assisi was really good last year, just started this year but the blooms don't open well. Maybe later.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Beautiful colors. The red on Acquire the Fire is such a stand out.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Spacecoast Blastoff immediately caught my eye. I like bright colors and it certainly is that. By contrast the golden oldie "Gentle Shepherd" still holds it's own. Such a pristine white. Love the form on Divine Comfort with all those gentle ruffles.
    You have a great group of daylilies going for you.....Maryl

• shive
    9 years ago

Don't you just love Purify My Heart? It's a favorite here, and so is Acquire the Fire. It really holds up on a hot, muggy day. I especially like your photos of Wonder of It All and Spacecoast Blastoff.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Dick Bennett and Acquire the Fire are truly beautiful!
    Brad

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind words. Most of my plants have been purchased because I saw a beautiful photo of it in this forum and then it became a must have. So I certainly know how you feel, Njmomma. My list of wants used to be as long as yours.

Mantis_oh, I think my zone 6 is milder than yours as it is classified as a zone 6b. Some of my Wonder of It All blooms open well and some are stuck and need help opening. I can understand why you like it as it does have a really nice gold edge.

Maryl, I love Gentle Shepherd. Eventhough it does not have the "bells and whistles" of the modern daylilies, it certainly has a simple beauty to it. When placed with the darker colors, it really stands out.

Debra, I believe it was your photo of Purify my Heart that got me to get this daylily. I can still picture the gorgeous bloom with the blue asters behind it.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Beautiful :-). I have to look up DIVINE COMFORT as I don't think I've seen that one before. Your pic of F.SUMMER SNOW is amazing.

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Wow, wonderful group! Planet Max is one I saw in person and it's been on my list to get since. Love those reds too, especially Dick Bennett!