Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Goodbye to Lily

celeste/NH
10 years ago

Some of you may remember my cat Lily from the many times I posted pictures of her in my gardens. It is with a broken heart and tears in my eyes that I had to bid her farewell today. My husband just took her to the vet to be put down. It had to be done but I didn't have the heart to go with him. She went downhill over the winter and became very emaciated and sick and I knew it had to be done but I couldn't bring myself to do it. She was such good company for my mom and would sit with her for hours.

We are burying her in one of her favorite spots to sit.....
the Cat Memorial Garden which we put in for another dear cat we lost years ago.

Just sharing this heartache with you all brings me some comfort because so many of you have lost your precious kitties not long ago and you know how I am feeling today.

Celeste

LILY in the cat memorial garden last summer

Comments (18)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

OH Celeste. I am so sorry. I remember Lily well from your garden pictures. She was always such a sweet cat. It is always so hard to loose a pet, they really do become members of our families.

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Celeste, I'm so sorry to hear Lily had reached the point of no return. While it hurts badly to lose them, it is worse to watch them suffer.

We recently sadly lost the sweetest, most timid cat named Trouble at over 20 years of age. I know how your heart must be breaking. What a lovely place to lay her to rest. You have my deepest animal-loving sympathy.

Nancy

• shive
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear about Lily. She was a beautiful cat, and I enjoyed seeing your photos of her the past few years. I know you and your family will miss her. Hugs to you. I know how hard it was for you to let her go.

Debra

• anna_in_quebec
    10 years ago

So many times I have been thought this - it never ever gets easier. And I too have not been able to go through with it, my BF is always the one...we lost our Bandito last August. My sympathies to you. My thoughts are with you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bandito

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that Celeste. Take heart in knowing she is off to be with her fellow felines.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I am so sorry, Celeste. Lily was a beautiful cat. It never gets any easier. Pick up Zeus and cry in his fur. It helps a bit.
    kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oH Celeste. am so sorry, I know so well how it hurts to lose our loving pets. This has brought tears to myeyes along with yours. She was such a pretty kitty and a beloved garden helper.my Miss Blackie has been gone a year and I still miss her terribly. Like kay said, pick upZEUS and love him and cry in his beautiful fur.I think it will helpl, too.She will have a beautiful spot to rest her weary body..

jean

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

I'm not a cat person, but I've taken two much loved Irish Setters on their final trips to the vet over the past 25 years, so I understand what you're feeling. The first time I did it (circa 1992) I went by myself and managed to hold it together until I was once again home. Then the damn broke and the floods came. I drank a full bottle of Pinot Grigio that evening.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

"Death leaves a heartache difficult to heal;
    Love leaves sweet memories no one can steal."

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Celeste, deepest sympathy on the loss of Lily. She was a beautiful cat and will be missed by all of you. It's always so sad when a beloved pet is gone. You have made a beautiful garden for her to be laid to rest, may it bring some comfort to you. Avedon

• polymerous
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry, Celeste. She was a beautiful cat. It is so hard and so so sad. About 2 Christmases ago we lost our Kitty the same way, my first pet since childhood, I was devastated. Hugs )

• abbydales
    10 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear about your beloved kitty. Hope you can find some comfort in knowing you gave her the best home, love and happiness.
    Sharon

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

You have my deepest sympathies. No matter how long they are with us, it's never long enough. You two will meet again on the other side of the rainbow bridge. She will be waiting for you.....Maryl

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Celeste it never is easy to say goodbye but I agree with Maryl she will be waiting for you over the Rainbow Bridge.
    I lost in addition to Little Boy my old girl Lucy about a month ago and Jessica all in less than a year so I understand what you are going through. Just think Lily is probably running and playing with Little Boy, Lucy and Jessica and all the other fur children that members of the forum have lost over the years. WOW what a party that must be.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH, all of you. I read and then re-read each and every word you shared, and you all brought me great comfort. I knew you would all understand the grief I was feeling. Lily was part of our family for 14 years and patrolled my gardens, brought companionship to my 90-yr. old mother who is blind and has advanced Alzheimers, and always made us laugh because she loved Cabot extra-sharp cheddar cheese more than anything on the earth. She would whine and claw up our legs to get at it and even when we put it back in the fridge she would sit staring at the refrigerator and howling for it. And guess what? Today, the ffo on 'Cheddar Cheese' opened up and was my first daylily of the season! How I smiled to see it, and then I cried. And I'm crying now because I miss her so much, but happy that she is at peace now and no more pain. Her kidneys had failed and there was no saving her.
    I felt so lost when I went out in my garden today and she wasn't there to greet me. Thank you for reaching out to me and helping me come to terms with losing her. My mom doesn't realize Lily is gone. I bring Zeus and Nemo in her room and have her pet them and that seems to satisfy her. She can't see or comprehend the differences in the cats, and calls them all 'Sweetie Pie' which is what she always called Lily since she could never remember her name.

Here's Cheddar Cheese, for Lily.....

Celeste

{{!gwi}}

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The photo was there when I previewed everything, then when I posted it, I don't know where it went. I'll try that again.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

What a touching story about Lily and Cabot cheese.
    Cheddar Cheese had a perfect FFO for Lily.