Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedaholics! I am buying DL seeds - when to start?

Posted by caliloo z6/7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 14:55

Hey all you seedaholics

I am killing a super humid hot afternoon looking at seeds on an auction site, and several sellers are posting "seeds have been chilled for at least 2 weeks" on the description. Does that mean I can germinate them now to get a jump on next year? Or should I rechill them and start them in Jan/Feb for best results? Many of the crosses are from plants way out of my price league, but seeds I can afford.

Thoughts?

THanks in advance!

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedaholics! I am buying DL seeds - when to start?

You can germinate them now if you wish, but if you are keeping these inside all winter for growth, you will have to go from the solo cups to bigger containers, If I start around end of Jan , start of feb here, they stay in the cups till I have them out in mayish time frame.

silverkelt

o

That is a great question. I am also buying seeds lately and I have never purchased them this late in the season before. I came across some that I didn't want to miss out on. I have them in the fridge right now because the seller told me they have been chilled, but it wouldn't hurt to chill them somemore. Can I wait until January/February to start them?

Nancy VB

o

I always wait, normally my germination isnt effected , I throw them in the fridge on the bottom shelf and they stay there, I start purching some seeds now till sept-oct time frame..

BTW the longer you wait, the cheaper alot of the same crosses are later. Im not saying wait, some sellers only have limeted stock on some crosses, some made dozens and dozens and will sell small batches for a few months, as you get to know the sellers, you can gauge when to bid on what.

Some are fairly honest and tell you upfront, that this will be 1 out of 3 batches ect , (ruby who keeps certain crosses will tell you this from time to time)

Silverkelt

o

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep anything I buy chilled for next spring.

Alexa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here