Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Red, White and Blue and Leftovers

shive
10 years ago

It's raining cats, dogs and frogs here today, so no fresh photos. I do have some left over from the past two days though. I'll start with a red, a white, and a blue in honor of the Independence Day holiday.

CARDINAL DESIRE was really cardinal red yesterday instead of rosy red like last year.

LAST SNOWFLAKE duo

ASIAN FAIRY BLUEBIRD is the closest I can come to blue.

NEVER BEEN KISSED is the pollen parent of several of my early seedlings

CATHERINE NEAL, a dark late bloom that holds its color well

APACHE WAR DANCE fires up the late bloomers bed

MISS GOLDIE GOLDDIGGER towers above the other daylilies on the fence border. A Davisson late bloomer, the bloom is gargantuan and the scapes are 10 inches taller than the registered 48 inches.

PRIMAL SCREAM - This one has set a record in my garden. It took FOUR years to bloom. It's planted in a large pot with Orange Clown who has bloomed well each year.

With the cooler temperatures, I barely recognize some of my daylilies because they have different colors than normal. CHANCE ENCOUNTER is usually a rose pink here, but this week it has shown some of its raspberry tones.

Debra

Comments (21)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Oh my, these are much too beautiful to be "leftovers" ha! CATHERINE NEAL is such a stunning color and APACHE WAR DANCE just glows. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Very, very pretty. We are having rain too, and I just couldn't make myself fight it for pictures. Yours are beautiful, Debra. That's a lovely duo of last snowflake. Apache War Dance is gorgeous. Beautiful group of Chance Encounter. What enormous Yellow blooms on the Davisson. And Primal Scream is always a favorite.
    You haven't a clinker in the bunch.
    kay

• abbydales
    10 years ago

wow, that MISS GOLDIE GOLDDIGGER ! Love it.
    I need some taller ones to be seen over my tall phlox.
    I'll have to check out to see if Davisson's do well here.
    I'm relieved to hear that PRIMAL SCREAM may take a while to settle in, I've been waiting....
    Thanks for more great photos.
    Sharon

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Miss Goldie Digger is STUNNING!!! I love the ones that tower over the others! Also love Apache War Dance...now that's RED!

Tammy

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Catherine Neal is such a nice dark one. Good to know the color holds up. Others I like are Cardinal Desire and Last Snowflake. Cardinal Desire is really nice with the yellow edge and throat! Marg

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

What's the summary again on the growth habit of Last Snowflake? Chance Encounter has been an especially slow opener this year. Maybe after I have said this, it will improve.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

I love the look of Last Snowflake. Unfortunately it hasn't done well here, but I moved it in hopes that it would shape up and look more like yours. Catherine Neal is another one that looks great and I've always wanted. Bought it once and got the wrong plant. Love the bright color of Apache War Dance.
    Val

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Beautiful....all of them. I'd have a hard time choosing a favorite.
    Rained here late in the day and so muggy.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg - Cardinal Desire actually has a white edge. The sun shining on it, made it look more cream in my pic. I checked the Ipad, and it looks so yellow on that. The colors in my photos don't translate well on Ipads and Iphones, if that's what you're using. When it's hot, the white edge is toothed.

Mantis - Are you talking about increase when you say growth? It is a very slow increaser here. I bought it as a single fan five years ago. It immediately split into three fans. Five years later, it's only six fans. Edward up in Canada gave up on his after the third year when it was still a single fan. (Edward if you're reading this and I have the time frame wrong, please correct.)

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, Debra.I love CATHERIN NEAL that is a beauty.LAST
    SNOWFLAKE is always a beauty. I love that one, too.
    and always love APACHE WAR DANCE, love that red. all beautiful today.

jean

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Beautiful selection for today! Apache War Dance is So bright, wow. Miss Goldie G - tall and huge - love it! And my very favorite is your gorgeous Last Snowflake.
    Ah, too bad it might not do well in colder zones.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

It's been raining every day here in FL and the plants love it.
    Great photos of some wonderful daylilies my favorite is Chance Encounter, what a super color.
    Linda

• lynxe
    10 years ago

My LAST SNOWFLAKE has continued to do OK. I bought mine around the same time Debra did & I assume it came as a SF. But I've never counted fans, so if that's what you want to know about, I can't help you.

It's never really followed the registration stats: again, I haven't measured, but I seriously doubt it's 32", and there are nowhere near the registered 7 branches and 60 buds. Not even close. Weirder though, is that LS is registered as a VL, but mine always blooms midseason.

Despite those differences, it's still here, in an overall zone 6 garden, and each bloom opens perfectly. It's very, very pretty. I do have it in a sheltered spot that's protected from winter weather by a stucco house wall and nearby stone patio and is possibly a warm microclimate that could be zone 7 - but it's a bit dry there, and I usually forget to water it. It might put on a better show if it received more water, and since this has been such a wet year, I'll be checking on it to see about that.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynxe - It sounds like you've had similar experience with Last Snowflake. Mine has also bloomed midseason. The most buds I've ever had are 27. Usually it has 18-20. The scapes are never taller than 25-26 inches here. But the flowers are always perfect! No complaint there.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda - I think a lot of forum member are getting lots of rain this week. It should induce some rebloom on our plants for later blooms!

Debra

• Nancy
    10 years ago

ASIAN FAIRY BLUEBIRD really is pretty, & I love Cardinal Desire. Wonderful photo of Chance Encounter too.
    I'm hoping that rain several of us are getting means lots of rebloom this year. It has been so cool here the last couple of days with the rain too. Nice to get a break from heat, but I am ready for a little sun. Doesn't sound like it will come tomorrow though.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

tall goldie is a great bold accent. like it!

• deangreen
    10 years ago

tall goldie is a great bold accent. like it!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dean - I bet aliens traveling the galaxy can see Miss Goldie from outerspace. She is so big and so bright!

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Wow, I can't believe you didn't give up on Primal Scream after waiting that long. Chance Encounter is such a beautiful shade of rose/raspberry.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - I did give up on Primal Scream. But I was just too lazy to take it out of the pot. It's going in the ground this year. Hope it won't be another four years before I see blooms.

Debra