Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

A Few Repeats Plus Surprise

avedon_gw
10 years ago

We only have repeats now, but a number of the daylilies are putting up rebloom scapes, some which have never done it before.

Persian Market--has put up 8 rebloom scapes, a real shocker, for this is the first time it has happened.

Berma Abercrombie--not the first bloom but way better than the first. I did not think this plant would bloom for it was so small. A favorite of mine, and I am hoping next year will see a big difference in the plant.

Strawberry Candy--last bloom

Orange Velvet--finally, the correct color

Good Impression on a rebloom scape

Dublin Elaine--rebloom scape

South Seas last bloom

Tender Love Clump--there are actually six flowers, one is behind the others.

Beautiful Edgings produced this large bloom

Beautiful Edgings Trio--another scape produced these three flower together, makes for a nice picture.

And now, for the surprise--Rita posts pictures of her vegetables, so I am posting a picture of our first cantaloupe, looks good enough to eat to me, and that's dessert for us tonight.

Comments (10)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That cantaloupe looks wonderful! It's a favorite fruit of mine.

This is an odd re-bloom year, as I, too, have those that have never rebloomed putting on a show, and some that have always re-bloomed aren't.

That trio of Beautiful Edgings is my favorite, but the clump of Tender Love is a beauty too.

kay

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

That cantaloupe literally made my mouth water. It looks delicious. Beautiful Edgings, Tender Love and South Seas are my favorites.
    Val

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow!!! Avedon that cantaloupe sure does look good enough to eat and reminds me I have not had any this year,Mainly because I have not been going out to shop since November, my daughter gos to get what I need and I just never thought of them yet, have to get me one. youPERSIAN MARKET is reblooming and mine didn't even bloom this year at all,and has never rebloomed either.TENDER LOVE is so pretty,and I love BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS and its my favorite.STRAWBERRY CANDY is very pretty, too.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

The catalope looks delicious! My favorite daylily is the Tender Love clump. I'm glad your are getting some rebloom. Persian Market used to be a very reliable rebloomer here before the neighbors planted a cherry tree right in back of it.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

A cantaloupe that looks perfectly ripe! Usually, next to the skin, there is an unripe area in those I buy. Tender Love is my choice.

• sglobig
    10 years ago

I'll have a chunk of that cantaloupe, please! Lucky you! And, yes, Orange Velvet is the right color. It isn't easy to get the pictures to accurately capture the proper color of these awesome plants, is it?

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Nice going on the cantaloupe. I don't think I have enough space to grow melons but I'm always tempted.

Persian Market is such a reliable oldie, and how nice that you're getting rebloom. Berma Abercrombie has been here since 2005 and formed a nice clump almost immediately. It's always a good bloomer, and your pic is great.

I mistakenly gave away Beautiful Edgings and after seeing your photo, I think I need to get that one again. It was one of the earliest daylilies I bought and the one that got me hooked.

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, everybody, had a big surprise an hour ago, we had a ten minute rain shower. In this drought, we will take anything we can. I had just taken a few pictures and walked into the house when the rain started. I will post those pics later, but just want to comment on a few things. First, the cantaloupes--we have wonderful cantaloupes. one of the best things we grow. There are four sitting outside waiting to come in to be eaten, yummy. Ours were started from seeds from a single Pecos melon that I bought years ago. We always save the seeds for our melon crop.

Jean, sorry your to hear your Persian Market has not been blooming. For us, this has been the best year ever, especially with all the rebloom scapes. Hope you get a good cantaloupe soon, it is our favorite fruit.

For everyone who likes Tender Love, this has been its best year ever. We have had it about four years, so now it is coming into its own, for sure. Love that it is a late bloomer that extends our DL season.

Chris, I have Berma Abercrombie because of you and Julia. I just hope that next year, our plants will be growing well and producing those really beautiful flowers I love.

Soglobig--yes, I find my camera seems to struggle with the right colors on some of the DLS, particularly oranges and some purples. Amazingly, the color looks right on Persian Market, and I have seen comments from other people who say that is a difficult one to get the color right. Avedon

• nat4b
    10 years ago

The cantaloupe looks yummy!
    Berma Abercrombie is very pretty, and my favorite is Beautiful Edgings. I need to replant my Straw.Candy, haven't seen blooms in two years.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Nice to see your having rebloom. I think Berma Abercrombie needs a couple of seasons to get acclimated. Hope it does better for you next year.
    Cantaloupe looks delicious.

Julia