Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

What's rebloomed well for you this season?

shive
14 years ago

What's reblooming or about to rebloom for you? Some of those Southern-bred rebloomers are doing really great here.

ADAMAS, MOONLIGHT SAIL and ZEPHYR'S SONG are putting up their second round of rebloom scapes.

SHORES OF TIME is reblooming now.

FREEDOM'S TRIUMPH and SUPER CHIEF have rebloom scapes coming.

Others that already rebloomed this season were:

CHARTERED COURSE

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE

CRETACEOUS CRUNCH

VALENTINE GREETING

COBALT DAWN

MISTER BUBBLES

EYE ON A STRING

BROOKLYN TWIST

CAMEROON NIGHT

ROMAN RULER

KOKOPELLI

HAPPY RETURNS

STELLA D'Oro

I'm hoping all this recent rain promotes some more rebloom for fall. I wish I had more planted in full sun. This is the first year ever that Persian Market and Copper Dawn have not rebloomed. The neighbor's darn cherry tree has grown so large it shades them too much.

Debra

Comments (27)

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Here it is still too early for rebloom except for the instant rebloom type. Still I have rebloom on -
    INTELLIGENT DESIGN
    LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE
    WOBEGONE GIRL
    PURIFIFY MY HEART
    ELEMENT OF SURPRISE
    ON LINE
    CONSIDER YOURSELF

I know I am forgetting something.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I forgot-
    SUMMER RE-RUN
    BORDELLO QUEEN
    TIKAL MAID

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

If one or two new scapes with a few new buds count then these have rebloomed: Happy Returns, EEnie Weenie. I sure hope my Shores of Time looks like yours Debra when it finally blooms.

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rita - Instant rebloom is good rebloom!

Maryl - One or two new scapes with a few new buds certainly constitutes rebloom!

I forgot one that has rebloomed here, ME AND MY SHADOW.

Debra

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

HEARTS OF FIRE is a good rebloomer here.
    FRANCOIS VERHAERT was a good instant rebloomer

I didn't have many reblooms this year, but might get some reblooms yet.

Jean

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

I've had a lot of rebloom, some instant, some not.
    ITTLE LIGHT OF MINEPirate King
    BETTY FORD
    BEST IN CLASS
    CINCO DE MAYO (over and over again)
    Several Paul Owens Seedlings
    EYE-YI-YI
    CHORAL FANTASY
    FIERY TEMPER
    SOUTH SEAS has rebloomed three times, and it is sending up another scape! Every time one I've thought it was don, it's put up another one.
    I noticed another Emmerich putting up a NEW scape today too.
    kay

• carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

Darla Anita is the only rebloomer for me from those that have been here more than a season. I have set seeds to a lot of others. I don't know if that has affected rebloom.

It's a different story with the new ones planted this Spring.
    Putting up at least their second rebloom scapes are:
    Mary Alice
    Two for the Show
    Bubba on Tour

Other new ones that have rebloomed are:
    Lycean
    Dixie Highway, seems to be always in bloom
    Facepaint, fantastic performer
    Ava Gardner, super increaser
    Gary Colby
    April LaQuinta
    Gavin Petit

Hopefully, they get to rebloom again next year.

Bj

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kay - It sounds like SOUTH SEAS and CINCO DE MAYO are super rebloomers!

Bj - I have had a lot rebloom the first year but never again for me. I hope yours will rebloom next year.

Debra

• running_free
    14 years ago

Hmm, perhaps I had better get my 'South Seas' out of the shade! (first year-quickie planting job)

Wes

• katlynn719
    14 years ago

I have had excellent rebloom this year. I think it is because I haven't had to cut back any foliage. Unfortunately, I found my first sign of rust today...on some of my seedlings. Still, it's nothing major and if rust didn't show its face around here until August of every year, I'd be very happy! Some daylilies that have rebloomed MORE than once are -
    SPIDER MAN
    TWO PART HARMONY
    BITTERSWEET HOLIDAY
    TEXAS SUNLIGHT
    INSIDER TRADING
    WITCHES WINK
    SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION
    LULLABY BABY
    BIG KISS
    SCATTERBRAIN
    DUBLIN ELAINE
    All of the above are still blooming here...plus I have several seedlings still blooming. It has been a good year.
    Kathy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

thanks for the info Debra on what constitutes "re-bloom". If that's the case I have to add Joan Senior, which just sent up 2 new scapes and the neatest of them all - Smoky Mountain Autumn, which has 2 buds on a prolif. Last year Smokey bloomed continuously from the first of June until September. This year I felt cheated with only 2 months worth of blooms (June/July) until I saw this proliferation with buds on it. I'm telling you, SMA has been one amazing daylily for me.

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy - Glad to hear you haven't had to battle rust until now. And none on established plants is great! So far, no rust here this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't see any in the fall.

Thanks for listing your mega rebloomers!

Debra

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Kathy, I had rust earlier, but now they are clean. Also, after 26" of rain in a week in May, the plants look better now than they did earlier in the year. I think some rot has been cured and the plants are happy. More reblooms coming!

Here are the best rebloomers this season:
    AFFAIR D'AMOUR started Apr. 23 and is still blooming
    RUBY FANTASY started Apr. 26 and ended July 18
    ORLANDO TRUFFLE started Apr. 24 and is still putting up scapes
    CESTIAL SHORE started Apr. 23 and is still blooming
    ETHEL BUCCOLA started Apr. 6 and has new scapes today
    MISSOURI MEMORIES started May 15 and is still blooming
    SHANGRA LA TRUFFLE started Apr. 27 and still has buds to open
    THIN MAN should get metals! Started Apr. 26 and hasn't quit! Big, bodacious and all around great!

This has been a really great bloom season! Inspite of monsoons, brutal heat, etc., but I think our long, cool spring REALLY helped!

• Nancy
    14 years ago

These have all put out new scapes the last few days
    Bill Norris -several new scapes
    Buttered Popcorn
    Pretty Gaudy
    Indian Giver
    Evening Enchantment
    Stella Supreme
    Happy Returns
    Pardon Me
    Red Reward
    I'm afraid I don't pay much attention to instant rebloom, but these had all finished blooming, so I noticed.

• Waitforspring
    14 years ago

Stella's Ruffled Fingers is blooming on it's second set of blooms and a third has already started.
    Strawberry Candy has put up quitre a few new scapes and Ferengi Gold has one.
    Rosy Returns and May May both have repeat scapes.
    Rebloom is certainly not a guarantee here. I have a couple that usually rebloom and show no signs this year, but on the other hand I've never had rebloom on Ferengi Gold before and Strawberry Candy reblooms about one in 3 or 4 years for me.
    Val

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

I have a rebloom scape on Dublin Elaine, Always Afternoon, Incantation and Black-eyed Stella.

• ladylovingdove
    14 years ago

FRINGY has been blooming non stop since May 16th and is still sending up rebloom stalks. They are smaller but who cares LOL. Don't know what it will do next year but this years its first, it has been magnificient.

Dot

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

My best rebloomer has been Ave Gardner, hands down. It's not missed a day without at least one bloom all summer. I got it as a gift from somewhere, as I guess it's a good increaser, too.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

TIKAL MAID is one of those instant rebloom types. Out of 4 scapes on four mature fans, three of those fans put up instant rebloom scapes. So now the first of the rebloom flowers have started up. There is no gap were it stops flowering, it just goes from one scape to another. As it had a nice long run on the initial scapes and is now going strong on the rebloom scapes, this will make for a very long bloom period. Gotta Love It !!!

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Fear Not has put up rebloom as has Passion District. And I forgot that Wild Cherry Round-up rebloo9med too.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot about these two that rebloomed.

HALLOWEEN TRICK

LAVENDER CURLS

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

I'll have to concur here doctor - concerning AVA GARDNER. Just kept blooming. I had first spring bloom, then instant rebloom, and now all the fans are blooming again. Best part is, the blooms get BETTER with each rebloom.

JENNY BUTTERFIELD - this year was phenominal - bloom with instant rebloom, rebloom and just finished it's last rebloom - wow

PURL GRIFFIN - bloom, instant rebloom, rebloom and is sending up another new scape

MIAMI HEAT - bloom, instant rebloom and rebloom on ALL fans

VELVET EYES - bloom, instant rebloom and rebloom on ALL fans

WEST COAST BLUES - three sets of scapes

CRANBERRY BABY - so many blooms I couldn't keep track - always in bloom

PIXIE PLAYTHING - ditto above statement

EARLENE GARBER - lots of buds on early scapes, instant rebloom and rebloom

SURF - seems to always have blooms, but I didn't count scapes...

CHINESE WATERCOLOR - not quite as much as the ones above, but double scapes on fans and instant rebloom.

CLOTHED IN GLORY - bloom , instant rebloom (the first scapes were not finished yet), rebloom

CREATE YOUR DREAM - bloom, instant rebloom lots of buds

All the following had a rebloom that had nice scapes and lots of buds:

NEUSA GERGEMANN
    OUT OF THE BLUE
    PALACE GARDEN BEAUTY
    RIDERS OF THE STORM
    RED EYED FANTASY
    SPACECOAST SURPRISE PURPLE
    TOPGUNS KATHY ARTHUR
    UNVANQUISHED
    BLUEGRASS MUSIC
    VERY BERRY ICE
    BLUE HIPPO
    VINO BRILLANTE
    BALLERINA BEAUTIFUL
    BUBBLE YUMMIN MAMA
    CINDY JONES
    CRYSTAL SEA
    GW DUST BUDS

*HONERABLE MENTION*

I almost killed DR. JULIUS CHARBA last year, and this year it has been recovering in my "best" bed. Poor little guy was down to one fan - but that fan put up a beautiful scape and is now reblooming. THAT'S dedication.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

What a difference being in southern zone makes. I know my zone is listed as 6/7 and that is because we just don't usually get to zero here for a low in the winter. Even getting down to 5 degrees would be only for a night or two here or there. But although mid summer like August is usually very hot and very humid, like it is now, its not as much as further south and summer just doesn't last as long. So you all probably know this.

But I just though of it all when I read VELVET EYES on Michelles list above. I have VELVET EYES since 2007. It does come thru the winters easily and is very healthy. Last year I think it did put up one rebloom scape. It has a typical non-exciting budcount of 6-9 per scape. Its beautiful but preformance is nothing to get excited about. Oh well.

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Michelle - I've never had JENNY BUTTERFIELD or CHINESE WATERCOLOR rebloom. I must get them planted in more sun! Palace Garden Beauty has never rebloomed - even though it is in full sun. The daylilies on each side of it do rebloom. Go figure.

Debra

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Instant rebloom scapes on:

EXOTIC TREASURE
    JAMAICAN MUSIC
    ESKIMO KISSES
    SOUTHERN PATRIOT big flowers!
    STRAWBERRY CANDY (3)
    DIXIE LAND BAND (short bloom period, though)
    EGYPTIAN QUEEN (3)

Renee

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

DID NOT OVERWINTER HERE, I have several Stamile's that are going to town!

Walking In Beauty
    Cosenza
    Ruby Borders

The way this summer has been, no way would I see rebloom! I still haven't seen a few have their FFO's yet?! Bye, bye Wisconsin.

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Rita - One full zone certianly does make a difference! Seems like we are almost exacly one month appart on bloom times, and probably 15 degrees different in temps. We really only get down to about 20 in the winter and up to 115 in the summer (whew), with 105 being a sustained temp for weeks at a time. ACK!

VELVET EYES had done super well here. Strong grower, multiplier and bloomer. That said, the branching and budcount could use work. I went out just now to count (because there are 11 scapes still on the small clump - and I already pulled off at least 4 others) and I found the highest # of bud scars was 21 and the lowest was 9. Most of them had 14 buds. Not great, but sure are lots of scapes. Only top branched for me too...

Debra - I was REALLY surprised when JENNY BUTTERFIELD bloomed so many times. I don't remember reading about anyone having rebloom on it... much less, double rebloom (if that's what it's called). CHINESE WATERCOLOR also surprised me - the first scapes were still blooming the last blooms when I started to see new baby scapes popping up. PALACE GARDEN BEAUTY - well, this plant is a wierd one. I have two clumps of it growing in the same bed - BUT, one clump rebloomed and the other did not. The one in full sun is the one that didn't rebloom! The other one is one of the plants being taken over by my knock-out roses. I have been keeping them trimmed off the daylilies, but poor PGB gets a lot of shade. I was surprised when the shaded one was the one that rebloomed. Maybe you need to trade its place with JENNY BUTTERFIELD! :o)

I have not given up hope of more rebloom when things cool off here. Texas has wierd growing seasons - we get two. One in spring and one in fall. Once things cool off a bit, I usually see more scapes popping up.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz