Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

More Blooms from the Tropics

mantis__oh
10 years ago

With fibromyalgia, I am really suffering from this weather. Flowers are also smaller, despite adequate moisture in the ground. Here are some recents:

MAL has given some beautiful blooms this season:

SHORES OF TIME Slow to establish here

BANANA CREME BEAUTY with CONCERT TOUR

WOMEN SEEKING MEN Fantastic substance and bud count (right next to neighbor's compost pile)

WEBSTER'S PINK WONDER Pretty good bud count this year

CAMINO REAL Large and colorful

ASHWOOD DARKSIDE

FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH Nice bloom, but very unclear whether it will flourish here

At the end of a hot day, ORANGE VELVET with WHITE PERFECTION Just as beautiful as at the beginning (but it wasn't 96)

Same blooms at beginning of day

JT DAVIS A beauty!

ISLESWORTH a 5-inch flower that has had sporadic blooms for a long time

SAMBO WILDER Still like this old diploid

SILOAM AMAZING GRACE

NEVER GET AWAY Lovely tall background plant

DESPERADO LOVE A classic favorite

Comments (15)

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Mantis so sorry you are suffering from fibromyalgia. My sister was diagnosed with it a few months ago, know it is miserable. Also want to tell you that Good Impression just put up a rebloom scape--I will be on the lookout for more. First up, Mal, really pretty. Next, Women Seeking Men--love color, substance, and bud count; Ashwood Dark Side, which I received as a bonus, won't see blooms this year, but yours are looking fantastic to me--how do you rate this one? Orange Velvet doing really well, yes? Your pictures of the morning color is truer than mine. Sambo Wilder is another pretty color. Your post is going on my Clippings Page. Avedon

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Some great stuff here, despite the blazing temps. It's great that Mal decided to put on a show for both of us this year. Women Seeking Men is always terrific -- look at those scapes and buds. Banana Crème Beauty is one I've commented on before, and I love the delicate coloring. Islesworth is also very pretty in your photo.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Sorry the heat is making your fibromyalgia worse, Mantis. It's a miserable thing. Your yard must be gorgeous with all the beautiful blooms. MAL is a beauty and I like your older one, Sambo Wilder. I think I choose the classic Desperado Love as my favorite.
    kay

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

You have so many beauties there. I love the group shot of Mal. Mine is also doing better than ever. Ice Cream Emperor is lovely as is Never Get Away and Siloam Amazing Grace. Guess I'm in a yellow mood today. My favorites are Sambo Wilder and Islesworth. Marg

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Mantis, so sorry you are in a lot of pain.Its just so hard to do anything when the body is in pain all the time,I know by myself, its certainly not easy to get through the day. I do hope you will be better, soon.
    MAL is a really pretty. I like these off whites.and SHORES OF TIME is a beauty, too. BANANA CREME BEAUTY with CONCERT TOUR really looks so pretty, side by side, that pink is gorgeous.WOMEN SEEKING MEN must love being close to the compose pile.its very pretty, too.I really like .ICE CREAM EMPEROR, too. you have so many pretty ones, cant pick a favorite.I would be here all night scrolling up and down trying to decide. all of them are beauties.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I like the DESPERADO LOVE and SAMBO WILDER. I hadn't heard of SAMBO WILDER before but it looks to be a great garden plant.

Julia

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

This must be a Mal year. Mine is doing very well too. What kind of performer is Banana Cream Beauty? Love the soft yellow color. Also like Siloam Amazing Grace, but my favorite is Desperado Love.
    Val

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sambo Wilder is very short. I just like the coloration. It's a good grower, but bud count is not great.

I am just amazed at the plant habit of Women Seeking Men. And the blooms are large with tremendous substance. Certainly deserved its HM.

I like the soft yellow and unusual shape of Banana Cream Beauty. It is a moderate increaser.

Avedon: Ashwood Dark Side has great bud count. Blooms are a bit upfacing, but still very noticeable. They have an intense sheen (blacker than my pic). Plant grows well. Obviously, I rate it highly.

• shive
    10 years ago

It sounds like you are actually hotter than we are for a change. I'm sorry to hear the heat is causing you a fibromyalgia flareup. There's a lot of love on this thread of yours. I'm not usually a yellow fan, but that clump of Siloam Amazing Grace is my favorite today. I'm enchanted by the blooms' lighter edges, green throats, and outstanding clump performance. Mal is putting on a jolly good show, and Banana Creme Beauty with Concert Tour is a pleasant combo. While Women Seeking Men and Ashwood Dark both appear to have good branching and bud counts, Webster's Pink Wonder and Isleworth both have lovely color and form. Finally, your shot of Desperado Love is a beauty. I rarely get the purple color on mine that you and Kay do. The eye and edge of mine is burgundy or maroon 99 percent of the time. It does have nice branching and bud count here.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debra: Initially, I took the above picture of Desperado in the sun, which of course was a disaster with shadows and all. Later, when clouds momentarily blocked the sun, I went back and got the posted picture. So it's all a matter of light. The posted picture is also basically burgundy, with some purple tinting.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

So sorry that the heat is causing your fibromyalgia flare up, but you have given us the opportunity to see some great looking blooms. Thanks for letting us see all this gorgeous eye candy.
    Linda

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please note my correction that the pic of Ice Cream Emperor was actually JT DAVIS--growing well here.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms. Love Mal and Banana Cream Beauty. JT Davis is very beautiful, love that edge. Lovely clump of s.Amazing Grace. I also love Shores of Time. Mine is the same color. Low bud count but I like it anyway.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Your daylilies are looking great in spite of the excessive heat. SAMBO WILDER is my favorite, I think it is lovely.

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

So many pretty blooms for you today (yesterday)! Shores of Time is one of my very favorite pinks. For me, I think it's the best of that whole group (Chartered Course, Wren Song & Leslie Renee)...I am opinionated, lol.

Interesting, Mal has had a great year here, too.

Enjoyed very much the variety you've provided. Pleasant way to spend a bit of time when the heat is scorching outside. Love seeing happy plants.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz