Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Overcast Skies Tuesday

mantis__oh
9 years ago

Actually, most of these pics are from Monday, when it was overcast much of the day (but humid and hot). I still find that I cannot get good pictures until around 9 a.m. Early morning shots tend to blue and to wash out yellows. Of course, on sunny days, there are problems by 9 a.m.

First of all, my apologies for an error on one cultivar. This is Safe Island, not Carefree Sunset (I have edited the previous post). Excellent earlier bloomer:

Forever Redeemed. If only all Carpenters were as reliable as this one:

Mr. Butters with In My Pink High Heels

Hearts of Fire--I still find this red to be a bit on the small side, but it grows wonderfully.

I like Apricot Jade a lot, but others seem not to:

Betty Ford has been a bit disappointing with lots of splotchy flowers and very slow opening this year (despite the heat):

Tropical Experience has not very good bud count, but always throws some wonderful flowers:

The Goldilocks Effect:

Linda Sierra survived both in a pot and in the ground. Moderate bud count. A marvelous lily. The only thing I haven't observed well is the effect of sun.

Drums Along the Mohawk

Citrix

Belle of Ashwood

Belle Cook

Ledgewood Firecracker always has poor bud count:

Stolen Treasure: Too prolific

Hospital bed. I put an old Peck in the left corner:

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 15:33

Comments (9)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ooh, that Drums along the Mohawk is a nice one and the form on Apricot Jade is lovely. For me it would depend on how it held that pale apricot color all day as to whether or not I would keep it. But if it does, I say WOW......Citrix has been such a frustrating daylily for me. the petals start melting by noon no matter where I've put it these last two years (although the color holds until later). Finally, tired of only a few morning hours of nice looking blooms (when I'm not around to see them usually), I moved it under the porch a few weeks ago where it will receive no direct sun. It seems to be better about melting now. I've already given it's sister pot away, and Citrix has such a good winter hardy growth habit, that I hate to get rid of it totally.........Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

This is going to be a hard decision but DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK is so stunning. Is this new to your garden? FOREVER REDEEMED looks fantastic. Some Carpenters work and others don't. I may have to let GEORGIA BLUSH go this year if it doesn't grow more. Either bad location or just not suited for here.
    How does CITRIX do for you?

Nice pic of the hospital bed. No more flower thieves?

Julia

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The light hit Drums Along the Mohawk just right in this photo. It is not always that bright. Citrix is doing okay. It doesn't have the best location, but is performing well. I'm focusing now on the four-legged flower thieves, since repellant does deter them.

Maryl, you're right that Citrix wilts in the heat, but in today's hot afternoon sun, everything took a beating.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Forever Redeemed has been on my wish list forever - your picture really makes me wish I had gotten it already. Good to hear it does well in Ohio.

Betty Ford never really did well for me and the flowers never wowed me. I lost BF and many others over the winter (in pots)... and I will not be replacing BF.

Drums Along the Mohawk is supposed to have a really high bud count, does it for you?

Linda Sierra looks beautiful!

• gardenofeden777
    9 years ago

I bought Betty Ford due to all the raves over it. I planted it last spring (2013) and got about 10 buds from it, it was o.k. didn't wow me though like I expected. Your picture of it though is gorgeous. I'll give it a couple more years to settle in.

Citrix is in my top 10 list here of over 200 daylilies. I absolutely love it. It is in part sun and does well, it doesn't look that bedraggled here until late in the evening around 6 or so.

Apricot Jade is in full blazing sun all day here and is one I wouldn't be without. It is a gorgeous color (I've not yet seen a photo that really does it justice). I've taken tons of photos of it and just can't capture the true beauty of it. I think if seen in person it would be wanted by all.

Your Drums Along The Mohawk is gorgeous! Awesome picture, makes me want to add it & Stolen Treasure too as I love the bitones & bicolors.

I love my Hearts Of Fire also. & I've been wanting Forever Redeemed.

It's wonderful that you keep up that hospital bed, excellent job you've done it's beautiful!

:-)

• shive
    9 years ago

Wow! They all look terrific! I can't pick just one favorite, the first five and Linda Sierra are all my favorites.

Debra

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Forever Redeemed and Drums along the Mohawk are so alluring!!!!! Such nice pics!

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

And another great group of daylilies! I'm glad you're enjoying Forever Redeemed. I moved mine this year to a better spot because I love the bloom so much. I hope Betty Ford does better for you. It's one of my favorite reds and has been a standout here. Apricot Jade is a beautiful color, and Linda Sierra is intriguing.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

You have a lot of lovely blooms today, Mantis. Like everyone else, I find Drums Along The Mohawk to be beautiful. Also, Forever Redeemed is a beauty. Too prolific? But Stolen Treasure is quite lovely. Betty ford gave me a few splotchy blooms to start, but then she behaved well and also rebloomed for me as she usually does. I like that color, and I also really like Hearts of Fire It has put up one more single rebloom scape which I like. this is a very nice posting. and that hospital bed is really pretty. Love it.

kay