Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

The garden on Sunday

newyorkrita
11 years ago

So this is the area I was working on in my WHAT A MESS thread. Daylilies replanted and settling in.

That redone area is directly next to and up the driveway from this next daylily section.

I got the idea to put veggies there because this spring I stuck Juliet tomatoes in back of my row of TIC TACK TOE that is totally bloomed out already as you can see in this picture. I wasn't sure how the tomatoes would do but they are doing great. Loaded with fruit.

A view from down the driveway shows the mixed bed with daylilies, tomatoes and my phlox blooming.

Yard Long beans have beans!

These are no where near eating size yet.

{{gwi:53917}}

The garden off around the other side of the porch is doing great.

Porch tomatoes are taking over the world.

Old Tomato garden.

New tomato garden.

I have been picking cucumbers.

Some of the smaller tomatoes have started. Here are some tomatoes I picked. The coin is a quarter. From bottom to top. Sungold, Sugery, Fourth Of July, Juliet and Grape.

Comments (21)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

beautiful cucumbers and nice little tomatoes too, Rita. Tomatoes are beautiful! Looks as if you will be gathering for a while. The redone daylily bed looks great. Itching to start redoing them, but can't yet...too hot for too long yet.

You still have some beauties blooming
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW!! I mean you been picking cucumbers.The one looks like its a foot long. I lost my 2 plants, due to the heat, it just burnt them up :(. Well, so that is foot long beans.Looks like they dont have beans in the pods, yet, but, thats amazing to have beans that long.Do thsy need some thing to climb on, well,I guess they do or thay would be laying on the ground.Tomatoes look very nice. I been picking some off my Patio tomatoes, They look to be about the size of you 4th of July tomatoes.Not big, but, taste pretty good. NExt Year I dont plan to mess with the patio kind. I am going to plant some of the bigger size. We have a tomatoe plant here called BRADLEY TOMATOES. They have less acid in them then any of the others and I grew some of them 2 years ago, but, last year I grew some BETTER BOY tomatoe and one BEEFSTEAK , which a slice of them will cover a bun.course the BETTER BOY is a big tomatoe, too.Your porch tomatoe plants had really grown, They are taller then the porch rail. you will be able to sit on the porch and just reach over and get a tomatoe,:))
    The plants by the driveway is tall too, taller then that fence there.They are all really growing nice. I just loved these pictures. I love to see the veggie gardens too.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay, I can't believe how quickly the daylilies are blooming out this year what with all the heat.

Jean, The Burpless Cucumbers get at least a foot long and often much bigger. The Yard Long Beans have supports to climb on, I was trying to get pictures of the beans, not the bamboo tepees. Here is another picture. Maybe you can see them better.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Gosh Rita. Them beans are fasinateing.are they suppose to be like the green snap beans?They make a good topic of conversation. They would here anyway, every body that seen them would be asking questions about them., most of the questions would be"What are them things?"
    BURPLESS cucumbers is some thing new to me, too.Maybe they wont make"gas" like some do. or heartburn.?My 2 cucumber plants was planted much too late, too, and that heat just came so quick. 80 one day and over 100 the next.
    Your beans looks good, and they are planted in a pot, too.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All the beans are in pots. I have three types of the Yard Long Beans, I have Blue Lake Pole Beans and Spanish Musuca Flat beans. All in pots. Never had Yard Long Beans before. From what I read, they do not taste like pole beans. (Sting Beans). But you use them the same way, stir fry will be good.

The darn beans grow like crazy too. No wonder they get so long ha-ha.

Burpless cucumbers just don't have as many seeds.

• polymerous
    11 years ago

Your phlox is beautiful, and I'm glad to see that your kitchen garden is producing well!

We used to grow 'Fourth of July' tomatoes - they were tasty. For early and small tomatoes we currently grow 'Stupice' and 'Foxy Lady', though years ago I also grew 'Gardener's Delight' which is a great tasting cherry tomato. (I've never seen GD at nurseries, though; when I grew it, I had to start my own from seed.)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

OK RITA, Thats what I need nest year is BURPLESS cucumber seed.I didnt know they had such a thing. I love cucumbers but they give me some bad stomach problems and heart burn bad, and my young daughter told me to take the seeds out of them and it wont do that, and i tried that one day, and it worked, but thats too much trouble.Did you order the seeds, or buy them locally.?

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, my favorite nursery that I buy my veggie starts has the Burpless Seedlings so I buy them every year. I am sure you can find seeds on the internet though.

Polymerous, I don't start my own tomatoe seeds so I buy at a local nursery that does have a fabulous selection. I got my usual EARLY GIRL for earlies but was looking for something else to try also. Therefore the FOURTH OF JULY.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, look here for more info on the cucumbers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpless Cuke seeds at Burpee Gardens

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

OK Rita, I know this is none of my darn business, but who eats all of this produce? do you can or freeze the tomatoes? In the 4th pic, how do you get in there to pick the tomatoes? Inquiring minds want to know? Everything looks so nice and green, All my stuff is nearly burned up or eaten by rabbits. My dog finally got her rabbit yesterday, I was stunned and I think she was too.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just step over the daylilies and reach in. No big deal. I don't can but if I have excess I do like to freeze. Cook down tomatoes and freeze the sauce.

I eat it. You would not believe how many tomatoes I can eat. My neighbors and friends eat it as I give away lots and lots and lots.

I have already given away cucumbers and will be giving away lots more as more of the plants produce. And my neightbors are used to getting fresh tomatoes from me. These past two years prior, I tried to cut back on the tomatoes and it didn't work. Everyone was asking for my garden tomatoes!

• polymerous
    11 years ago

I don't start my tomatoes from seed anymore either (though I may have to start growing a couple of pepper varieties that I can't get anymore locally).

Nowadays I buy most of my tomato plants from this lady in S. CA. She has a humongous selection of plants, grown organically. You have to plan ahead and order early, though (like in January).

Laurel's Heirloom Tomato Plants

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have such a great selection here locally at this one specific nursery that I have not had to resort to mail order. I am aware of Laurels but have never ordered.

I do want to try some of the New Dwarf Varieties that came out in 2011 next year and don't think I can get plants so might just have to dosome from seed myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Dwarf Tomato Project

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Thank you Rita for the website on the cucumbers.I dont have time to read it right now, ao I saved it and will read it tomorrow or the day after,and also the site on the dwarf tomatoes.I saved that too. Thanks

jean

• shive
    11 years ago

Your projects look great, and the veggies look yummy!

Debra

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I've gotten some burpless cucumber seeds locally. The ones I got this spring weren't the burpless, I wanted some for pickling & didn't know how the burpless would be.
    Your veggies are really producing nicely, Rita. All your fault that I am so regretting cutting back on my vegetable gardening.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! This is the year of the veggie crazies being back for me in full force. I did cut back, it did not work for me, I want my veggies.

The pocture I posted yesterday of the Yard Long Beans I had taken the day before but downloaded yesterday. Then last night I picked them as I could NOT believe how much bigger they got in one day. I picked three. The longest, 22 inches, then 20 inches, then 18 inches. I also picked three today that are 18 inches. I need more for some stir fry! Really looking forward to eating these. Tasted a small piece raw and it was delicious!

On the cucumbers I buy seedlings at a local nursery each spring that are simply labeled "Burpless". But there are other varieties of Burpless,l not just the variety that I had seedlings of. The small trellis has the cukes I bought as seedklings which are BURPLESS, STRAIGHT EIGHT and MARKETRMORE. Then there are the SALAD BUSH in the planter bowl also bought as seedlings.

That is why they are ahead of my other cucumbers as I started those myself from seed. Then I planted them on the bigger treellis which is about 3 times as long as that smaller area. I have ARMENIA cucumbers, CHINA LONG and PALACE KING cucumbers on there. Can't wait to get cukes from all three new to me varieties.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

The yard long beans I have grown before weren't impressive in flavor, but I don't know what kind they were. The pkg just said yard long beans, they were one of the cheap seeds you see for sale & I thought I would try them. What kind are yours? I think I remember you saying you had 3 different varieties?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, before I planted the Yard Longs I read peoples comments about their taste. Many people just did not care for them as they apparently do not taste like string beans. Well, they tasted great to me but no, not like my Blue Lake String beans that I grow. Remember it was only a nibble (small poece of a raw bean). But I thought it was wonderful. But then other people thought they were fantastic. I decided to try them.

I have Red-Seeded Asparagus Bean, Chinese Green Noodle Bean and Chinese Red Noodle Bean. But the ones I picked were from the Asparagus Bean.

This year I had also decided to try a different bean called SPANISH MUSICA because I read claims that they were so delicious. Didn't like them at all! Not sweet and tender like the long beans but tougher with a strong flavor. I will have to pick some much younger (smaller) on them and see if they are better but I was sure I picked them when I was supposed to. So taste of what one likes or not sure does variey.

Also, it just occurred to me that if you picked the long beans too late they would be pretty bad.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

RITAjean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I certainly do still have them. They are making nice red tomatoes for me!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler