Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Tour of My Garden

maximus7116
10 years ago

When I walked outside today it hit me -- I'm definitely at peak bloom. Here's a mini tour of my garden:

At the gate looking into the back yard:

ORANGE VELVET looking fine after a night of heavy rain:

LILIES in the bed by the back porch:

The (very full) bed by the small pond:

Another view from the opposite direction:

SUNRISE SUNSET BEAUTIFUL decided to bloom perfectly today:

UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE:

BORG TECHNOLOGY and friends. I think I might replace this one next year because the coloring is a little too mauve for me:

SELF DETERMINATION:

ROBERT LEE BATT:

Leaving the back yard:

Looking at the bed by the side of the house:

MAL and FEAR NOT (or what I think is Fear Not) in the same bed:

ALLEGHENY SKYLINE, looking almost perfect:

Our "old girl," Stella Purdy, smelling the flowers along the way:

The weed bed was loaded today. Only 12 plants from this group of approx. 50 will make it to the new garden. Several were trying their best to convince me they're worthy:

LANA ISHEE -- every bloom was perfect:

LORD CHAMBERLAIN:

DAYS OF THUNDER and CONCRETE BLONDE:

My pick of the day is this perfect bloom from SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER:

Chris

Comments (17)

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

Nice to see daylilies in plantings beside your house. When we took the daylily mecca tour here in Florida back in May, I was struck by the fact that not one of the hybridizers whose homes were visible from or adjacent to their nurseries had any daylily plants next to their homes. There were other plantings, but not daylilies.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Beautiful Chris. Love your garden gate and pathway and the daylilies are the icing on the cake.
    I like the last pic especially of SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER. Nice form and color. SUNRISE SUNSET BEAUTIFUL has been off here this year. Not sure why. When I saw your pic of it, I thought it looked like it had a crown on it head LOL And Stella Purdy is so cute.

Julia

• shive
    10 years ago

My favorite photo is of Stella Purdy smelling the flowers. She reminds me of my Tuxie, especially the way she has white hairs mixed in with the black. And I see Bosco managed to include himself on the tour too. Allegheny Skyline does look perfect there. I like your bitone Fear Not too. I've seen many other photos on All Things Plants where it acts like a bitone. I think my favorite clump shot is Lord Chamberlain.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

How beautiful. Love that gate shot and nice path. Must be so pretty with lots of color in your yard. I think I am a little past peak but still quite a bit blooming.
    Lots of pretty daylilies. Love Sunrise Sunset Beautiful, Robert Lee Batt and Suddenly Last Summer especially.
    Love kitty smelling daylilies photo too!
    Oh, and I am pretty sure it is Fear Not, nice combo btw. Mine is bitone too. I didn't get it from Karol, but I think the person I bought it from did.
    Lilies are beautiful, these are orientals? Mine are not doing good this year either, not worth taking pictures.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Julia, the "crown" on SSB is an antique chimney pot.

I'm going to go ahead and assume Fear Not is the real deal, after hearing that others have it blooming as a bi-tone, also.

Stella Purdy is around 13 years old. We also had a Buddy Love at the same time (both names from the old Nutty Professor movie), but Buddy is long gone now.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Chris, I really enjoyed the tour of your garden. Your brick path though the gate is such a nice entry way. Isn't it funny how much the cats like to be in the garden? Stella Purdy is a pretty girl.

You have a lot of beautiful blooms, but I like Sunrise Sunset Beautiful the best. As I told you, I got my Fear Not from Karol and it does the bi-tone on occasion. I like your bed at the side of the house too.

kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, what a great tour of a beautiful yard, Love that gate and the brick walkway. and all the daylilies are beautiful, Ilove all of them, and the kitty too. She reminded me of my ms Blackie that use to take time to smell the flowers, too as she walked along beside me checking out everything.Those lilies are gorgeous, too.Thank you for a wonderful tour.

jean

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

What an outstanding tour of the garden. So beautiful.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Wow, I am not even going to try to pick a favorite. Gorgeous gardens, beautiful flowers, love the gate, and Stella is very cute. Thanks for the mini tour!

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! The best part of those long shots of the yard is that you don't see as many weeds as you do with close-ups.

• User
    10 years ago

This was a great tour and your gardens are lovely. I love the shade of orange with Orange Velvet. That is a pretty daylily. My favorite is your pick of the day, Suddenly Last Summer.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

The open gate and the winding pathway look so inviting! You have lots of beautiful daylilies and I agree with your pick of the day--just lovely. Stella has the right idea. We should all stop and smell the flowers.
    Val

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

You have such a big yard--plenty of room for more daylilies. And such lush trees in the background--or is that a park? What is the big-eyed daylily in the fourth picture? And the foreground lily in picture #5? Allegheny Skyline is my fave.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis, I do have plenty of room, just not enough energy to weed additional beds. We have five acres, the back four of which are woods. The front yard has large maples and oaks and is mostly shade, and the perimeter is large pine trees. The daylilies in #4 are Etosha Flame (coral with yellow eye) and Integrated Logistics (lavender) in the foreground, with Catastrophe Waitress in the background. In #5, Two Sues is in the foreground (looking very washed out, even though it was overcast when I took the photo). Here's a better photo:

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Your garden is just wonderful, I really enjoyed the photos of it. Beautiful view of the gate & beyond. I thought my favorite daylily was Sunrise Sunset Beautiful til you showed that last photo of Two Sues, it really is amazing.

• jkayd_il5
    10 years ago

Enjoyed your garden tour. You have some beautiful daylilies. Suddenly Last Summer is a beauty. How big is it?

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

The garden tour is a feast for the eyes and the soul--how very beautiful all of it is. Your daylilies are outstanding--this seems to be the year Orange Velvet is doing well all over the country, seen lots of pictures of it from different areas--Mal,Lana Ishee, Sunrise Sunset Beautiful, Alleghany Skyline, Suddenly Last Summer and Two Sues are top faves, but Stella Purdy must win the prize, what a lovely tuxedo she is. Avedon