Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Tuesday's Rainy Picks

maximus7116
10 years ago

We had more thunderstorms come through last night and the daylilies are loving all this rain. The best of the bunch from today:

CAPACITY FOR WONDER, a polychrome, is so bright but you can still see the pink midribs:

PEACH MAGNOLIA, the only remaining double I grow:

TREASURE OF THE SOUTHWEST isn't the best performer here but has pretty, big blooms:

STEALTH BOMBER with RED HEADED HUSSY in the background:

CATCH THE WIND:

A few repeats because they're looking so good include ATLAS SHRUGGED:

I'm loving NORTHERN KINGFISHER this year:

A noid that was sold to me as BRUTUS, but it doesn't match the stats. It looks somewhat like Beautiful Edgings and is short and very fragrant:

JULIANNA LYNN was posing with the platycodon and needed to be photographed:

And finally CLAUDINE'S CHARM, still going strong, because my post wouldn't be complete without a photo of this one:

Chris

Comments (17)

• polymerous
    10 years ago

That NOID may look "somewhat" like 'Beautiful Edgings', but mind has a paler, creamy color to it, and the edging color burns off pretty quickly. Your NOID does look pretty, though!

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms, again.. I love NORTHERN KINGFISHER that is a beauty.and also JULIANNA LYNN which is just gorgeous, and my favorite.. CLAUDINE'S CHARM, is a real beauty, too. wish some of that rain would get this way.

jean

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jean -- we've had enough rain for a while so I'll try to send some your way.

Poly, Beautiful Edgings is much prettier (in my opinion) and does have a creamy self compared to the yellow in the noid. I can't remember if BE is fragrant, but every time I think I'll get rid of this one I catch that fragrance and think "maybe next year."

• Nancy
    10 years ago

CAPACITY FOR WONDER is really nice & I love Northwind fisher. Now I really like your NOID, maybe not better than Beautiful Edgings, but I like the look of that one.

• shive
    10 years ago

I'm loving your Northern Kingfisher this year too! Have you posted pics of that one in past years? I'm also loving the pink midribs on Capacity for Wonder. I almost ordered Treasure of the Southwest last night. After seeing your photo, I wish I had. Your clump of Claudine's Charm is always magnificent. I'm showing that picture to my CC and threatening her with the compost pile. Maybe she'll send up at least one late scape.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I really like Capacity for Wonder...yellows are often not my favorites, but that one is really lovely. I also like Julianna Lynn and Claudine's Charm. Very pretty post, Chris.
    kay

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ng and Kay -- I don't often comment on yellows either, but Capacity for Wonder has been a nice addition.

Debra, maybe CC will shape up for you soon. Northern Kingfisher was added in 2009, didn't bloom for two years because of sub-par conditions here, went through the drought last year with maybe one bloom and this year decided to show me its stuff. I'm glad I was patient with that one.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Northern Kingfisher looks amazing. I like your noid and (of course) Claudine's Charm too.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Julianna Lynn, Claudine's Charm and Northern Kingfisher are my favorites. So glad your patience with NK paid off. I find all too often that the ones that keep me waiting for years weren't worth the wait. I love the ones that hit the ground running.
    Val

• hostabff
    10 years ago

Northern Kingfisher and Claudine's Charm are beautiful.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All lovely and I bet your glad to have the rain.
    CAPACITY FOR WONDER is always a beacon in the garden.
    Your Hansons are just wonderful. I do like CATCH THE WIND.

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the votes for the pinks and purples. I'm guessing those would be the top vote-getters for favorite colored daylily.

Val, I do appreciate the ones that hit the ground running (for me, Clowns Parade did just that and more this year) and I am definitely NOT a patient gardener.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Stealth Bomber looks much lighter than other pics of it. Yes, of course, Northern Kingfisher receives my plaudits. Atlas Shrugged here finally bloomed, but much paler; we'll see next year.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

All are beautiful rain or not. Northern Kingfisher, Capacity For Wonder, Stealth Bomber, Julianna Lynn, Claudine's Charm and your NOID are tops. Avedon

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Avedon. I've been happy with each of them.

Mantis, Stealth Bomber is in partial shade and I'm sure that affects the bloom color. Sometimes it's much darker, and sometimes the reddish purple you see pictured here. I hope AS really takes off next year. I was just looking at it today and it has four huge blooms and is just beautiful.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

that peach double is prrrreeetttyyy. :) I'm not sure why I'm up late posting since I'm getting up at 4 for a 530 filght.... zzzzzz

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Noid is very pretty, I also like Julianna Lynn. Capacity for Wonder is a very beautiful polychrome. Treasure of the Southwest is a pretty pink too.
    Hmm, now I vaguely remember reading about a similar to Beautiful Edgings daylily, which if I remember correctly, is not a registered one. Can't think of a name though..

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz