Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Daylily Disaster

Nancy Barginear
10 years ago

Last week, we had three days of 105 degrees temperatures, with a heat index of 115. The heat suddenly and swiftly became desert-like. It turned the daylily beds into a scape graveyard.

Plants have shrunk by 1/2 - 2/3, blooms are negligible in size, even the color of unbloomed buds faded internally before opening. Lower leaves have burned to a crisp. Upper leaves are somewhat crispy.

We have hope of rain this weekend, but what was a lovely sight looks now beyond hope. Some two-year old seedlings appear to be completely dead.

Before this happened, the daylilies had outdistanced any weed. It was the best this garden had ever looked. Now it is easy to walk along the rows and pull the occasional weeds out. I don't know at this point if they'll be able to recover. I don't know what to do. If I hand water, I may be setting up another round of crown rot with our summer temperatures.

We have a big lake near us where those who live by it can swim, water-ski, fish and party. Yet we are only allowed to turn our sprinkler system on two nights per week from 10 to 4 A.M. We had a brief shower early this morning, and it looked like more rain was in sight, so I put off the watering.

Oh well...

Happy Fourth of July, everyone!

Nancy

Comments (10)

• shive
    10 years ago

Nancy - I hate to hear what the awful, scalding heat did to your daylilies. I sure hope you get some rain soon. I can related to what you're talking about because of similar conditions here last summer with no rain until September. I hope your 2-year-old seedlings have just gone dormant. I had several established plants do that, and they came back just fine this spring. I did manage to water my seedlings daily, using leftover dishwater, bath water, as well as water from the hose three days a week.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Oh Nancy, so sorry to hear that. One of the things we all look forward to is the bloom season but I can relate to how disappointed you must feel as we had a somewhat unsettled season last year.
    Don't give up. Daylilies are very resilient. Hang in there.

Happy 4th to you too.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Good grief, how awful! I am so sorry. Bloom season is the reason for all the work we do. As Julia said, they are tough plants, and I really hope they've gone dormant for you.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I am so sorry that this happened. Especially before bloom season. Don't know what I can say that would make you feel any better.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh Nancy, I am so sorry this has happened.and right at bloom season, too. how disappointing that is.I do hope they have just went dormant and will be back with a bang after they get some water (rain). we sure are needing rain here, too.I been watering every day and it don't seem to be doing a lot of good.Might have to do what I done last year for a few of mine. The ground got so hard till water couldn't get to the roots of them, so I took a big screwdriver and a hammer and went out and made some holes around mine so they could get some waterit helped.weather man says we have a chnce for rain for next 6 days starting Friday, hope so.

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Please take some of our daily rains. Just a torrent today.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry Nancy, I sure hope you get some rain. Even when you do water, doesn't seem to help like rain does. Didn't you lose masses of daylilies to crown rot a couple of years ago? Hopefully, they are just going dormant, I do find some of mine do that.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear about that heat ruining your DLS. We had that cold front come through and dropped our temps--it was 57 degrees when we got up this morning. However, we have had no rain in just over two weeks now, and the daylilies show it. My husband waters to keep them going, but it's a tough job and they will be alive but not really flourishing. That won't happen until there is real rain, if it ever happens. Like everyone else, I hope your plants are dormant and will recover. Avedon

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We had a terribly long drought last year, so we watered the daylilies, thinking we were saving them. We ended up losing around 65-75 daylilies from crown rot. So I'm kind of scared to water and scared not to water. I did hand water one of the 5 beds this evening and my DH came out and hooked up the sprinkler. It covers two more beds. I'll water the last two tomorrow morning. We are going to see if we can adjust the sprinkler system to run longer on the daylilies. We aren't too good at making changes on it. It will run tonight, and so far rain is forecast this weekend. The seedlings in the kiddy pools full of water are doing O.K.

Right now, the daylilies look like desert plants! Before the high heat developed, I was photographing over 100 blooms a day. Then....16. Today.....5 - and that was only for record-keeping. What really, really hurts is losing those special seedlings you work so hard to get as they cannot be replaced.

The only daylily that looks really good is Michael Miller, and that's because I have it in a big tub planter and water it religiously every day.

Nancy

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Oh no, so sorry. How frustrating! And happened so quickly.
    As people above said I hope they'll go dormant and come back again.
    Last year during the hot and very dry (no rain at all) summer many of my daylilies got fried. What a sad view it was. I watered, by hand and with sprinkler but it didn't seem to do much difference so I concentrated on the ones that were doing more or less ok. Then they started rotting. We discussed it here last year but I am still not sure it was crown rot, because of no foul smell. Anyway they all (except one) came back this year albeit quite small and with less fans, but they did!
    It is quite a dilemma. Since seedlings in the pool and Michael Miller in a pot doing ok, means they need watering, but crown rot last year because of watering hmm. I sure hope you'll get some rain!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths