Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Partying at the Coconut Grove on Tuesday

shive
10 years ago

I was having quite a good time in the garden this morning wearing my Aztec Headdress, carrying my pet Spiny Sea Urchin and headed to the Coconut Grove by way of Baja Californa. Come along for the ride!

SPINY SEA URCHIN looked so good this morning, I remembered why I bought it. The bloom has never been this big before, or this well colored.

COCONUT GROVE

>

BAJA CALIFORNIA - My Trimmer intros that were new last year are about as mixed up on bloom time as the rest of my garden. Two of the lates are blooming with the earlies, and the mids will be opening later this week.

WILD APPLE AUTUMN

GREAT WHITE to cool things down

JAY FARQUHAR

CORONAL LIGHT

AZTEC HEADDRESS had an interesting eye this morning.

ROCK CANDY

PRECIOUS CANDY

CARY GRANT

BEST FOR LAST - This is the ffo for this Rice late, which has excellent branching and bud count. The best scape has 27 buds! The color is so much better than last year when it was 104-110 degrees.

Debra

Comments (20)

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I really like Great White and Coronal Light. Then I scrolled down and saw Rock Candy and Prescious Candy. Now that's eye 'candy'! Marg

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

That Sea Urchin is a beaut. Any reports on hardiness of Baja California? Good to know that my plants aren't the only ones mixed up.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

geez, more beauties at your house.SPINY SEA URCHIN is really pretty. but to me, COCONUT GROVE is prettier.Thats a real beauty.I really like GREAT WHITE a lot, too. and oh my,JAY FARQUHAR is a beauty, too, I really love that one. CARY GRANT is my favorite ,I think.Sure love that GREAT WHITE a lot, its so pretty.

jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Lots of bright pretty ones, Debra. Jay Farquhar is hard to beat. Wild Apple Autumn is perfect and lovely. Coconut Grove is amazing and Spiny Sea Urchin is beautiful. Cary Grant is a lovely red. (Be still my red crazed heart). so many lovely ones, I really can't choose a single one. What a great bloom day.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Oh Geez, Debra this is an exceptional group of blooms. Starting with BAJA CALIFORNIA, then to WILD APPLE AUTUMN and CARY GRANT. I can't choose a favorite between them.

• bigack
    10 years ago

Love BAJA and Wild Apple Autumn!

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Well, again, how can I pick a favorite from all these perfect blooms? I like every one of them, but maybe I like CORONAL LIGHT & Wild Apple Autumn a little better. I took a look at your Spiny Sea Urchin & was instantly jealous, mine never has looked like that. Then realized, mine is just Sea Urchin, completely different flower :)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! These blooms were the best in the garden today.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All very pretty. Aztec Headdress will have a deeper eye here when it is a bit cooler in the morning.

Julia

• deangreen
    10 years ago

aztec eye is the BEST!!! really like when a lot of color appears like that. :)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia and Dean - Aztec Headdress usually doesn't show that much color here, so I was impressed. A lot of the patterns really shine when it's cool. We are so lucky to be have a stretch of cool weather this time of year.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

All so beautiful, very hard to choose :) Spiny Sea Urchin has a pretty color and great edge, I always love those ruffled whites/lights, Great White and Coconut Grove are gorgeous. Really like Wild Apple Autumn. Cary Grant is so pretty. Love Coronal Light and Jay Farquhar too! Best for Last is very pretty and good bud count too! Aztec has a very interesting eye. Both Candies are lovely. I think I just mentioned them all :) If I really had to pick, that'd be Coconut Grove and Cary Grant near each other

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I've always admired photos of Spiny Sea Urchin, but heard it was near impossible to get a good looking bloom. You have a beauty there.

Coconut Grove makes me drool, as does Cary Grant. I had 100+ daylilies that didn't bloom last year because of the drought, and Cary was one of them. He has buds now and I hope he looks as good as yours.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - Because I have dewy mornings, Spiny Sea Urchin usually looked splotchy in the past. I had it sold because of that once, but didn't send the plant because it broke out with rust. With cooler drier weather this week, Spiny is putting out nice clear blooms. I'm sure it won't last long though. I'm not sure why the bloom is so much larger this year. Most of my daylilies have much smaller blooms.

For all you Coconut Grove fans, I will be selling two plants of Coconut Grove on the Lily Auction soon. It was a bonus plant for me, and I already have a lot of creams and near whites. I prefer its parent, Ice Cream Emperor, even though that one has short scapes. I would rather add one of the Korth near whites in the future to get Northern hardiness for hybridizing. Auction name is Lilipod.

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Awesome group of blooms. Being partial to pinks, blues and purples Spiny Sea Urchin and Precious Candy get my vote for favorites.
    Linda

• sann777
    10 years ago

They are just exquisite! It is impossible to pick a favorite. That FFO is perfect. Does it have a name? My son has Great White. I may have to pay him a visit!! I'm loving the white ones this year. Also like Apple and Coconut. Sarah

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Sarah :) I was at first confused with that too, I think that's the name - Best For Last

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BEST FOR LAST is the name of the last photo, and I put it last because of the name. It seemed like a good way to close the post. Sorry for the confusion. It's by John Rice of Thoroughbred Daylilies.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

I am partial to Jay Farquhar because I LOVE mine dearly and can't wait to see it bloom again. (Should see it open its ffo in a couple weeks). All of the others are beautiful and it's always a challenge to come up with one that is a favorite. I guess I'll go with Coronal Light . That one really does it for me.

Celeste

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Debra, beauties you have posted here! And awesome photos, I might add.

For me, it's a seven-way tie for a favorite. Your SPINY SEA URCHIN is awesome. I've had mine for five years, and it finally bloomed this year, but certainly not nearly so beautiful as yours. COCONUT GROVE looks so delicious - it makes me wish I had some coconut cream pie right this second. JAY FARQUHAR, CORONAL LIGHT, CARY GRANT, and BEST FOR LAST are equally splendid. PRECIOUS CANDY was well-named -- it is just that - precious!

Nancy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting