Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opnjmprs

Peak bloom coming to an end

opnjmprs
9 years ago

This has been an unusual bloom season. Some of my older CV's have been showing shorter scapes, and less buds than usual. I think that's because of the wild winter we had. Even the Praying Mantis (that we have in abundance) seem to be smaller than usual for this time of year. I'm hoping they have enough time to mature and lay eggs this fall.

Red Blooded was planted in early June.

Irish Jackpot was also planted in June.

Alan Lane Agin....always a very good pod setter.

Steve Moldovon....seems to change appearance a lot, some days are better than others.

Jennifer Trimmer seedling that I really like, but like it's parent, it just hates to set pods.

Wild Irish seedling looked so velvety this morning.

Yet another Red Friday seedling....has a great scape and bud count, crazy frothy teeth, but the blooms don't always open well. This was a good day for this one.

This is one I'm planning to register....a Sense Of Wonder kid

This post was edited by opnjmprs on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 15:50

Comments (9)

• shive
    9 years ago

Linda - My scapes were shorter and a lot of blooms were smaller. I didn't think to check and see if the insects were smaller, too! LOL I really like the patterned eye on STEVE MOLDOVAN. Is that weather related? The Red Friday seeding sure is pretty. It's too bad it doesn't open well sometimes. The Jennifer Trimmer and Sense of Wonder seedlings are pretty too.

Debra

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I hate peak bloom ending. That means less photos from everyone! I love Irish Jackpot. That one is new to me.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

You have really got some beauties blooming.I really like that IRISH JACKPOT. and them seedlings are gorgeous.I hate to see the daylilies stop blooming too, a long wait till next spring.I had a bunch didn't bloom at all and hardly any reblooms this year, too, but, maybe next year will be better.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

I like your seedling with that pencil edge. Cranberry color eye? Very nice.

Some the mids and lates are starting but many of the others are nearly done. Some with short scapes and low budcount and others an over abundance of scapes but several being top heavy in buds. Very odd year but I'm glad to see color.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Red Blooded looks good. The evergreen, Irish Jackpot, has a very ornate edge; hope it flourishes in the North. What is the size and scape height on the Sense of Wonder seedling?

• opnjmprs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis_oh, The stats on that Sense Of Wonder seedling are 28" scape with 4 way branching, 20 buds, 6" bloom. Pic below is of 2 blooms. As for me, I really love loud, big, and gaudy......love this one for it's size, scape, fantastic fertility, and a lovely simple sense of elegance. Guess I'm somewhat conflicted. :-) Moving this out of the seedling bed next spring, so I can have a better idea of how it does.
    Linda

This post was edited by opnjmprs on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 21:33

• statmam
    9 years ago

The Japanese beetles were later this year too...but that's a good thing.

Hard to choose a favorite from among your pictures, but I'd go with one of the last two seedlings.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Beautiful beautiful daylilies and seedlings! Red Blooded looks like a nice red color. What an edge on Irish Jackpot!
    Seedlings look great. Love that RF seedling especially. Your last one is a pretty one too, nice edge.
    You have two dls with Irish in the name :)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Some really nice seedlings. I think the one out of Wild Irish is my favorite. Irish Jackpot and Red Blooded round out my top 3......Maryl