Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Wednesday's Bold Encounter with A Snake in the Grass

shive
10 years ago

There wasn't a real snake. That's just a daylily name. I had a friend over early to tour the garden and then went to breakfast with her. So I had to take pictures after 10 a.m. in the sun. They're not my usual style, but a few came out well.

SNAKE IN THE GRASS BOO

BOLD ENCOUNTER

It took a RED SLEEVED WARRIOR to conquer the snake

Now I have reached a state of VIOLET TRANQUILITY

Maybe I will listen to JAZZ AFTER FIVE

With a SWEET CHILD OF MINE

Speaking of sweet children, here's my seedling Emperor Butterly X Great White

I'll close with a couple older dip spidery types:

LONG JOHN SILVER

JELLYFISH JEALOUSY

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 11:56

Comments (18)

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I have Jellyfish Jealousy and I love it. Jazz After Five looks perfect.
    Julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I am glad to see Jazz After Five doing well for you, and that is my pick. I have to move mine as the blueberries have encroached on it. I like Snake In /the Grass, Boo too.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Dayilies look as fabulouis as always no matter what time you take pictures.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I agree with Rits, the photos all look great no matter what time you take them. if a real snake had been there,I would not have been around to take pictures. JASS AFTER FIVE is a beauty and my favorite of the day.

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I find that colors are truer if one waits till near 10, but of course on a bright sunny day, that is not usually an option. Bold Encounter seems to be one that is pictured in many different shades. Jazz after Five and Sweet Child of Mine are my faves, both by hybridizers with a question mark for the North.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Jazz after Five and Sweet Child of Mine are my favs also, with the Snake right close in there.- Your photos all look great.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Love the photo of Snake In The Grass Boo, hope ours will bloom this year. Jazz After Five is looking really good, and love Jellyfish Jealousy. Avedon

• deangreen
    10 years ago

ouch, it bit me. snake in the grass gets my vote!!! but long john silver comes close behind. :)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - Bold Encounter pretty much has that color scheme all the time here. The petal color starts out a darker cream after a cool night but as the sun shines on it, it takes on a very white appearance. The eye and edge is close to the true purple in the crayon box. But don't get too excited about it. I received it as a single fan six or seven years ago, and guess what? It's still a single fan. I have grown it in a barrell with two other daylilies, those having slowly increased. Maybe if I had it planted in the ground there would be a different story. I sure would love to see a clump of it someday.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - Part 2: Bob Selman of Blueridge Daylilies is the hybridizer of Jazz After Five. I would think that one would be pretty hardy. Bob grows in the North Carolina Mountains at a high elevation where winter temps get cold and there's plenty of snow. Sweet Child of Mine should be hardy farther north. The parents are Swallowtail Kite by Ohioan Curt Hanson and Webster's Pink Wonder, which is known to be hardy in the north.

Debra

• abbydales
    10 years ago

Oh, LONG JOHN SILVER is my pick. Anything in that
    lavender pink shade always catches my eye.
    Great photos, thanks
    Sharon

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Jazz After Five and your seedling are my favorites. I agree with some of the others all your photos look great to me.
    Linda

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Debra, how does Snake in the Grass Boo perform for you? I have found it up here so was planning on ordering it. My next favorite is Long John Silver. Marg

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg - Snake In the Grass Boo is a very good performer. In the past it has had great branching and bud count, and it usually reblooms. This year it is not as well budded. I'm still growing it in a pot, and over time those grown in pots lose their vigor.

Debra

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Thanks Debra. Have you ever used it for hybridizing? That's one of the reasons for getting it besides the fact that it's a beauty. Marg

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg - SITGB is both pod and pollen fertile. I have several packets of seeds from Snake In the Grass that I've never planted. I make thousands of seeds each year, and only plant 30-40 a year because of limited space to plant them. I know Jerry Mix had a really pretty intro out of that one.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

First of all I just love your comments using daylily names, what fun! Your pictures look great as usual. And my favorite are Jazz After Five and Sweet Child of Mine.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Jazz After Five and Sweet Child of Mine are my favorites too and your pictures are always fabulous.
    Val

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES