Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanerz13

Daylily not opening fully

jeanerz13
9 years ago

I have some daylilies that don't open fully. I've read that this can be a result of cool temperatures, but I don't think that could be my problem. The highs this time of year are generally in the 80s and sometimes 90s. These are pretty big clumps - could dividing make the open better next year?

The attached picture actually shows one fully open and one not so much. They usually don't open more than the partially open one in the picture but I guess today was a good day.

Comments (8)

• gdjcb
    9 years ago

I have been having the same issue on about 1/3 of my Daylilies and would also like to know, what may be causing it. Our lows are now in low to high 60's, day temps in the 90's. Most of mine are not large clumps.

Thanks,
    Gale

• polymerous
    9 years ago

For me, dayliles not opening well is sometimes due to cool weather, but other times it is due to a relative lack of water. You might want to try giving the daylilies supplemental water.

(Extra water may help with the overall bloom opening (and size), but it may not do much for daylilies which have a genetic fault such that one petal never wants to open or recurve properly, in line with the others. At least, that has been my experience.)

• jeanerz13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Images of previous blooms with the problem:

P.S. The camera on my phone tends to over-saturate color... the picture in the first message was the closest to the natural color of the flowers.

• jeanerz13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been watering my flowers almost every day that it hasn't rained, but I guess I could give them more than I have been.

• gdjcb
    9 years ago

I water mine frequently as well. Perhaps it just genetics, is this a common flaw in Daylilies, as stated before, I would say its close to 1/3 that are doing it.

Thanks,
    Gale

• jeanerz13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm only getting it consistently in my two large clumps of this one cultivar (chicago coral is my best guess)

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Oh that's one of the biggest flaws for me in daylilies. I think if only this one does it, it's genetics. I have a couple like this - Chance Encounter almost never fully opens and Court Magician. I just can't part with them yet because I love the flowers and CE is a prolific bloomer.
    Right now most of my daylilies don't open well (which irritates me) but we have colder than normal temps these days.

• flora2b
    9 years ago

I have a couple that 'hang' on the first couple opening...which I blame on cool morns, but a few others just never quite open right and I am going to shovel prune them.......they had 3 years to figure it out and there are way to many other beauties to give them real estate. I know Startle, which is one of the parents can be bad for this. Maybe checkout the parents and see if they have this disposition.
    Flora