Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Monday Part Two, Veggie, daylily and garden views.

newyorkrita
11 years ago

The daylilies may be on the decline nowadays but the veggie gardens are fabulous.

Yard Long Beans in pots continue to put out the beans.

I ripped out the dried out spring pea vines and seeded new peas for a fall crop. Not sprounted yet.

Lots of veggie pots around here. This one has melons. Well, melon vines as no fruit set yet.

{{gwi:91291}}

Here is the cucumber bowl. You can't see but it has lots of nice cukes.

Most of the cucumbers are planted in the main path that runs thru the backyard daylily beds. EXIT STRATEGY blooms in front (or back depending on your angle) of the cucumber trellis.

{{gwi:91293}}

They have run up the trellis I have for them. I mulched them and the path with straw yesterday.

{{gwi:91299}}

Hard to see but this is one of the baby chinese cucumbers growing. Really odd looking cucumbers!

All right, here are the tomatoes in a sack. Those red fruits you can see on are the Fourth Of Julys.

First BEEEFMASTER fruits I just picked.

The BEEFMASTER get big and have lots of mostly still green tomatoes on the vine.

The redder ones are mostly on the WHOPPERS and EARLY GIRLS.

Red Hill has been blooming along the side of the driveway.

Red Hill again.

SELLSTATION SUNSET. It is in the redone area along the top pf the driveway. The only dayliliy along in there I did not move as it is at the end and I did not want to loose the blooms.

Comments (18)

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

It all looks good rita, I usually have a nice little veggie patch, but this year its terrible, I had a family emergency in the middle of the long dry heat we had, it zapped it all, ive sort of given up for the year, I might get a couple toms still. Oh well, family is always more important then veggies.

The beefmasters look great, the first thing I would do with it would be to slice one on a hamburger!

Silverkelt

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Family is always the most important. But maybe with some watering you can get your tomatoes to come back some.

I have to let those tomatoes sit on the counter for afew days yet in order to get totally red and ready to eat.

• shive
    11 years ago

Veggies and late blooming daylilies are looking good!

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Those tomato plants look very good. I'm big on herbs, basil, rosemary,dill, thyme, etc and although I didn't plant a veggie garden this year, I know next year my bed is all ready for the goodies. I have so many packets of seeds I didn't use and hopefully they will still be viable next year.

Julia

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Don't forget, down south fried green tomatoes are on the menu. you should try it and see what you think. When I was in MO, my sister and I ate at a little diner and we had fried green tomatoes there--absolutely delicious, at least to our taste buds. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone. I had fried green tomatoes the other day as I had green ones that fell off from the bad weather the other day. They were delicious. I was writing about that on my thread from Friday called ITS RAINING ON FRIDAY.

Here is a link that might be useful: Its Raining On Friday

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I like Red Hill butnnespecially like your veggies..LOL!!
    Ellie

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Wow, Lots of tomatoes turning red. Told you that you would be picking tomatoes by the bushel baaskets,and I bet I not too far off on that :-)They looking good, and the cukes too.That chinese cuke is a funny shaped one,Might be pretty good. I really like this last daylily, very pretty. and I loved seeing the tomatoe "Sack" they are growing real good in it.I guess you have a cage around it? to hold them plants up?

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ellie, I really like the veggies myself LOL!

Hi Jean! I have a little green garden fence type thing around the sack because that was the only thing I could come up with. It is not very tall and is very hard to see. I picked about a quart of ripe tomatoes off that sack today after taking pictures. Some grape tomatoes and the rest the 4th Of Julys.

I don't think I will be getting tomatoes by the bushel baskets. Maybe if they were very small baskets lol ha-ha.

Other than those I have some sitting on my counters that I have picked but the tomatoes are still not ripe enough to eat and need a few days. I have lots of ones starting to get red on the vine but when you look closely, they are no where near ripe yet and still quite hard when you touch them. Waiting, waiting. They will problably all ripen at once and I will have plenty then!

Those strange looking cucumbers are chinese cucumbers that I am trying for the first time this year as I read that they are very good. Those are only babies yet as the chinese cukes get pretty big but stay slim.

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

All your veggie plants are looking so lush and healthy. Do you have plans for all the tomatoes (canning, salsa)? I've never done anything with mine except eat them off the vine, so I'm curious what you do with 33,693,100 ripened tomatoes.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris, your making me roll on the floor laughting. I NEED all those tomatoes. I really have ALWAYS been obsessed with growing tomatoes and the past few years cut back plans on the veggies have been a dismal failure.

I have to have enough for everyone or things don't go well. All my neighbors know I grow tomatoes and would love to have some. And I do know people other than the circle of neightbors I have here and they all know I grow tomatoes also.

Last year on the cut back plan I just didn't have enough so this year thought I would just go crazy again. My first giveaways were to my favorite neighbor on Saturday. I have lots of tomatoes getting ripe so ones sees red ones but when you touch them you can see they are still hard and not ready for harvest. So anyway. Neightbor comes back yesterday, said the kids ate up the tomatoes from Saturday, need more. I had just picked about a quart container of tomatoes from that sack container, which were the only ones ready. So she went home with them. So I had planned to eat them with dinner. Had to find something else and picked myself Sungolds to eat. Multiple neighbors have already spied red fruits coming and I have to keep explaining they are not ready to pick yet. Much easier when I can say yes, nice ripe ones here are some to take home ha-ha!

Of course I am holding out and have some nice big tomatoes ripening on my kitchen counter that I have already picked. But honestly, I do all the work so I get to eat first LOL!

Honestly, you have no idea of the amount of tomatoes I can eat. I love to eat them.

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Veggies looking good!
    I never grew anything except couple tomatoes. Cucumber and melon look so alike :) I got a couple 'bonus' plants with my tomatoes I suspect they are cucumbers. They are very little and I don't expect any fruit.
    Also there are never enough tomatoes here for canning, besides it's tedious what with peeling them and so on. I once had enough to make a little bit of ketchup and couple times enough for tomato soup :)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

The veggies look wonderful, and I like Sellstation sunset.
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

RITA: I hope when you eat one of them CHINESE CUKES you will tell us what you think of that cucumber.If it taste the same as the others, more seeds, less seeds,,etc. I have never hear od them, myself. You had me laughing about your neighbor coming after some more tomatoes.Thats kind of Nervey. but, at least you didnt have to go bring them.Whats the matter they can't grow some in a pot, too, like you do?Are they senior citizens or disabled? I have a black neighbor next door that I give my excess tomatoes to. He is so nice. a very good neighbor. he kept looking at my roof , how it had lots of pine needles on it,and told me several times I really need them off my roof as they will rot the roof, I told him I know this, but, my daughters tell me to stay off the roof, and I can not afford to find some one to pay them to do it for me, and daughters are afraid of higth anyway, and so am I really. well, he came over last fall and brought a long pole with him,and said hes going to try and get them pine needles off my roof for me.Well I had a broken rake against the house, so he took the rake and taped it to his long pole he brought,and he did get all that mess off my roof for me.Well, after that, I raked up pine needles for a couple days aand ended up with over a dozen huge sacks full.he told me to not try to get them to the curb for pickup that he will come do that.. This man is 75 yrs old and works every day with out fail down town some where, i forgot where, but hes a hard worker and a good neighbor, so I bring him tomatoes to eat when I have more then I am going to eat, and hes so happy to get them..Its good to share when you have too much for your own use, but, RITAjean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nat, Yes, Cucumber and melon leaves do look very much alike. I am trying to grow some melons but I really think I started the plants too late in the season this year. Will just try again next year.

Kay, the veggie crazies has come back with a vengence for me this year after trying the cut back plan.

Jean, you can grow three plants in that sack, no more than that. It has three openings on top and one plant per opening.

Don't worry I will be reporting on the new cucumbers once I have taste tested them. Already doing tomato taste tests.

In fact I ate one of those two BEEFMASTER tomatoes I had picked yesterday for lunch today. Oh yummy, yummy, yummy. Made tomato sandwiches. I LOVE tomato sandwiches. They were soooo good. BEEFMASTER tomato is deffinately going to be planted again next year. I have tried a few beeefsteak types the past few years to find one that is outstanding and I have finially found it! Yumm, Yumm, Yumm.

Another thing I did today was cut back and pulled up my Armenian Cucumber vines. No fruit set yet and there were not many of this type so it was easy. I noticed a few days ago a leaf on them with mildew. Today noticed more leaves with the mildew spots and very noticable. So out they came. I don't want to deal with mildew and I don't want my other cukes to come down with it.

I tried lots of new (to me) cukes this year. I am pleased with all the others. I would have loved to taste these ARMENIAN types but not that badly that I will put up with desease. I yank things out that don't do well. Too many others I can try instead.

Jean, the neighbors just don't much garden much less grow veggies.

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Jean, that is such a nice story.
    Rita, did you grow zucchinis? That's one of my favorite vegetables, I need to try growing them.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

oh, I don't like squash of any kind. I learned that I love BROCCOLI, fixed with cheese, and anxious to see Ritas broccoli growing, since I have never seen any growing before.My young daughter is the one got me started eating broccoli and cheese.With cooking it in the microwave, only takes 7 minutes for me to fix a small bowl full for me then mix a little cheese in it while its hot. very good. She told my Doctor that she had me eating broccoli and he said well, he guess thats good, he dont eat it..

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like brocoli. But the seedlings don't look like much!

Nat, I never tried growing zucchini, or eggplant or any type of summer or winter squash. I will eat zucchini but will not go out of my way to have it so I can't see messing with growing it.

Mainly I grow tomatoes, cucumbers, beans and peas. I have grown lots of other things in the past like brocoli, brussels sprouts, beets, carrots, onions, peppers, tomatillos, melons, lettuce, parsely, dill, chives, can't remember what else.