Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

More seedlings..

silverkelt
11 years ago

I am managing to get a few new blooms , even despite my thrip attack.

This is my favorite seedling out of this years batch, from my Dangling PartcipleX Jerry Hyatt x Purple Cheetah X Ron Valente crosses..

It still may devolop patterns, some of the pc kids took awhile to settle in and do that.

Speaking of the DPXJH kids, here is a shot of my favorite seedling.

Its sib is my best seedling to date, not for its face, its colour is very nice, but its the most vigorous plant Ive seen this far north, it will be insta clumps here in 3 years , down south (where its still chill enough, as this is a dormant) it will take even less time. over 35" scapes with 7" inch flowers, it has like 10 fans already , 5 scapes, with 3-4 way branching and bud counts in the 20-30s on each. It will be part of my foundation breeding plants.

Early AM shot,

Late evening shot.

A leslee renee kid x a blue hippo kid, am shot..

pm shot, I like them both!

A sweet isabella kid, after seeing ritas lovely picture, I actually asked someone I knew who had some to send me pollen, they did and I got a couple crosses out of my pink lines to play with.. Im hoping thrips damage will discontinue after my spraying to get a better picture later.

JKO X fringy cross, I have several of these, this was a fairly late pm shot, so its a little more relaxed then it was before the heat.

I have a dozen or so of these seedlings, some crosses involving some gaskins seedlings, this is the best by far, a very gentle edge.

Some Dr Julias Chubra X blue lake crosses

second, shorter, but lovely blue/white eye

This one is a few years old now, but its still pretty, I like this one alot,

This is my only surviving coral colour that Ive tried to get for years, it seems alot of the corals out there you can breed from our just plain wimpy here in the north, this one survives, but only 50% of its blooms are worthy of taking pictures of, thats just too low..

Bali Watercolour kiddo, I have like 10 of these sibs, this is the best colour on any of them, but others are much larger and taller..

{{gwi:309264}}

I couldve taken pictures of more, but probably enough for now.

Silverkelt

Comments (12)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The leslee renee kid x a blue hippo is my favorite of the bunch. I bought some seeds from JKO X fringy cross, it's nice to see what I may get from them! All of your seedlings are nice. Marg

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Lovely. My favorites are pictures number 11 and 14.

• polymerous
    11 years ago

Nice color on the BALI WATERCOLOR seedling. I also very much like the color and watermark on your second seedling.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Some nice ones! I like the Bali Watercolor, the coral one, and the first one you showcase. They are all interesting. Perhaps you could show the parents also.

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mantis ,

At one time , even before I discovered this forum, I had about a hundred daylilies, lots of Siloams, Salters and Stout winners ( at one point I tried to collect them all!)

At the time we decided to move to a bigger home, I had to make a decision on what I was going to focus on, I love to hybridize and start diffrent crosses, most of my stock now comes from either early crosses, daylily seed auction wins and some friends who ware willing to ship pollen to me every once in awhile.

BTW the best of my old daylilies didnt go far, most of them that I really loved I moved to my Moms house, I go over once in awhile and walk thorugh the gardens with her, the last three years Ive brought her a truckload of compost. She always thought daylilies were just yellow and orange, I think she enjoys them. When some of my best seedlings are dividable, I will be moving them to her house and to my Churchs yard to pass around.

Its nothing more then a overpriced hobby for me. I was VERY VERY tempted awhile back to buy a few of Karols intros, they are so gorgeous and I have so much respect for her as a hybridizer, she is near tops in my book. However, Im really trying to build my own breeding stock up through crosses and trying to study what some of the best do, what they look at in foundation plants ect, Ill never do it on a commercial scale, but for me its fun. I might get to a point I will name a few of them, but thats about it.

Silverkelt

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I like the first two, the Leslie Renee (love the color) and the one that you said was several years old is a true beauty. Very nice group of seedlings.
    kay

• shive
    11 years ago

I thought I had commented on this post, but I don't see my message. My favorites were the first two and the eyed and edged older seedling that is third from the end.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Your seedlings are so good, but I like your first one, and the Dr. J. Chubra/blue lake cross because of the blue eye. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Very nice.

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

you've got some lookers in there. Love the first purple and the nice pink

• mizellie
    11 years ago

I like them all but JKO is my favorite. She makes pretty babies!! Ellie