Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Tuesday's Tremendous UFs and Spideries

shive
10 years ago

Judy Davisson and Woodhenge cultivars will be headlining this gig.

CAROLINA COOL DOWN had the most ethereal color after a cool night.

RECKLESS GIRLS is a great bonus plant from Judy. I like the color and the motion this one displays.

MICHAEL DAVISSON displayed its best pattern and darkest colors so far.

Now on to the Woodhenge part of the garden, where the daylilies of Margo Reed and Jim Murphy are dancing in the breeze. Here you see the very tall TRANCE with its ffo surrounded by some SHELBY blooms and some of Jim's explosive TNT in the background.

MARGO REED INDEED with its ffo from yesterday.

ALL AMERICAN CHIEF with a poly and mysterious lighter edges - all anomalies

BLAZING SADDLES trippling my pleasure

I think I need a FROZEN MARGARITA at the Coconut Grove.

Debra

Comments (18)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Oh wow, and the blooms continue. So many, Margo Reed Indeed is coll and beautiful, Frozen Margarita has a lovely delicate color. All American Chief is my kind of bloom. Reckless Girls is a nice one as are they all, but this time, predictably, I am going for the Blazing Saddles trio. Love it.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

BLAZING SADDLES is lovely and I really love that trio of Woodhenge intros in that forth picture. My taste has really changed in these past few years. Used to be I would never go for that flower form.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay and Rita - Glad you liked the photos. Blazing Saddles is in my top three favorite daylilies of all time, so no matter how pretty the others are, that one gets my votes.

Rita - Before you know it, you'll love the UFs as much as you do the round, ruffly ones.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 21:48

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I've always been a fan of the spiders & you are showing such a lovely variety! I like every one of them. Maybe the 3, Trance, Shelby & tNT a teeny bit more, really like those markings.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Still at the Coconut Grove? I succumbed and ordered Blazing Saddles.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - That's great! I hope it will do well for you. It would look great next to Black Falcon Ritual.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I love Judy Davisson's plants, but this time, it is Blazing Saddles for sure and a close tie of Frozen Margarita and Margo Reed Indeed. Margo is a new plant for us this year, and I think she will bloom in a week or so--hope the bloom will be as good as yours. Avedon

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I love Judy Davisson's plants, but this time, it is Blazing Saddles for sure and a close tie of Frozen Margarita and Margo Reed Indeed. Margo is a new plant for us this year, and I think she will bloom in a week or so--hope the bloom will be as good as yours. Avedon

• deangreen
    10 years ago

woo hoo blazing saddles! very nice. but my favorite is the ethereal one, the first one..... sublime. :)

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I love seeing Spiders and UF's. I have several of Margo and Jim's intros and I'm not disappointed in any of them.

Nice selection.

Julia

• lezro
    10 years ago

I have had a crush on Margot Reed Indeed since Jim introduced her. Your picture convinces me that I need to go for it!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Avedon - Since you are a big fan of the whites, I think you will love Margo Reed Indeed. It really looks very white in my garden.

Lezro - Take the plunge. Margo Reed Indeed with not disappoint you.

Dean - The color on Carolina Cool Down is indeed sublime.

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Love, love, love all the Davissons, and what a great bonus you got!

How has Shelby done for you? That one and Frozen Margarita look intriguing.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - Shelby has not done as well as others planted in that area. The increase and the bud count are far lower than Trance and TNT acquired at the same time. Unless you absolutely love the bloom, I would say try something else from Woodhenge. I bought it for hybridizing reasons. I heartily recommend Frozen Margarita. It's a great performer with excellent bud count, lovely foliage, and good increase.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 12:06

• abbydales
    10 years ago

Stunning. I really like most all of these. I am finding my UFs and more spidery types are a little slower to establish. But worth it. Is that true in your climate?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sharon

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Love Blazing Saddles and Frozen Margarita is a absolute stunner.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sharon - I have not particularly noticed that UFs and spiders take awhile to establish, as opposed to the full forms. I think there are some cultivars in all forms that just take longer.

Linda - Frozen Margarita is such a pretty true pink when temperatures are cooler. In my normal hot temperatures, it's more peachy. But it's such a great performer that I'll take it either way.

Debra

• User
    10 years ago

I really like the spiders and UFOs. Fantastic collection - all beautiful. I put almost all of the on my wish list!