Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kwanso daylily question

Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:50

I was at my brothers house in Georgia recently digging up a couple of his Oriental lilies.
He had some orange daylilies blooming that he said used to be my grandpa's.
My grandpa died in 1955 and I can't remember him having daylilies, but I wanted a start for sentimental reasons.
We were on our way back to Texas and my camera was packed so I didn't get pictures. I think it might be Kwanso.

Was Kwanso around before 1955?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kwanso daylily question

Kwanso has been around for a long time. I don't grow it here, but have read that you need to be careful where you plant it. It can be aggressively invasive, and near impossible to get rid of. It is very pretty, and I've heard of people planting it in the whiskey barrel containers, and that way they can enjoy it without fear of it spreading and taking over their daylily beds.

Linda

o

It took me forever to get rid of it. I still find sprouts now and again.

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:39

Thanks for letting me know how invasive it is. That lets me know I should grow it in a pot.

But my question is, was it around before 1955?
My grandpa died in 1955 and the one I brought home is from what he grew on the family farm.
I googled it but didn't find a date.

o

I read on a horticulture site that Kwanso has been around since the late 1700's. It was mentioned in a blog post, so I don't know how accurate that information is. I do think it's safe to assume that it goes back prior to 1955.

Linda

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 20:07

Thanks Linda
I checked a few orange ones that looked similar, but they were all dated later than 1955.
So at least I know it might be Kwanso.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here