Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Bright Tuesday

maximus7116
10 years ago

There are lots of bright beauties blooming today.

COGNIZANT DISSONANT cozied up to Inherited Wealth:

PEPPERMINT PINWHEEL, taken in too much sun but it's usually a late opener so morning pics don't work:

DANCING ON DADDY'S FEET, a new one from Judy Davisson:

ROYAL PINK TWIST, a flat-faced Carpenter whose bloom I love, but grows too close to the ground:

JOSETTE LISE:

TIM KORNDER, which I thought I'd lost last year. I'm glad to see this very bright pink blooming again:

MARY TODD, an oldie that brightens the garden:

Another Davisson, Up and At 'Em, with its FFO:

And a clump shot of Half Moon Key among the weeds, with the ever-present pollen muncher. Does anyone know what the insect is?

Chris

Comments (14)

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful watermark and color on Cognizant Dissonance--why didn't he name it something easy to spell--and I love, love, love, J. Davisson's Dancing On Daddy's Feet. Half Moon Key is always looking good. Avedon

• deangreen
    10 years ago

royal pink twist gets my vote! always like a clear bold color

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Lots and lots of pretties for you today. COGNIZANT DISSONANT and Half Moon Key are my favorites.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Tim Kornder is one that stands out for me.
    Was it fairly new when the drought hit, or is it somewhat tender?
    (I mistakenly commented on a thread of yours from 2010. You had had a hail storm. Sorry.)

• shive
    10 years ago

Like Mantis, Tim Kornder reaches out grabs me with its bright pink color. Royal Pink Twist and Half Moon Key also caught my eye. I guess I'm in a pink mood. The Davissons are interesting, but much darker than I expected they would be. You're getting a nice Davisson collection going now. I've been very pleased with mine from her this year - except for DIvas In Diamonds, which hasn't bloomed for the second year in a row. I keep hoping at least one scape will emerge from the five fan clump.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Half Moon Key is lovely and a bit darker pink than mine. I really like Cognizant Dissonance. Tim Kordner is gorgeous, a lovely clear color. It or CD re my pick of this lovely group, chris.
    kay

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tim Kornder was added about four years ago, and then was moved to a better location. Last year was horrible for so many of my daylilies, and I thought TK was a goner. The color is amazing. I have a few that are similar colors blooming today, but chose TK to post because it's just a beacon in the garden. I can't say whether it's tender or not because of being moved. So far, so good.

Debra, I do have quite a few Davissons, including several new to the garden this year and a few that haven't bloomed yet. When I get some decent photos, maybe we can start a thread with just Davissons. Alas, still no scapes on No Boys Allowed. Maybe after five years?

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

You really are getting the blooms going now Chris. I can't pick a favorite as I'd take all of them. I agree with the others on TIM KORNDER. Knock out color on that one. Your HALF MOON KEY looks terrific. I love it when it blooms.
    Judy's plants do well for me so far. I have only 5 so far and reading the posts to see what others are growing of hers.

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

So many beauties - COGNIZANT DISSONANT is my hands down favorite. I've always called those bugs katydids, don't know much about them though.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Cognizant Dissonant is my favorite too although not my favorite name-- too much of a tongue twister. I also like the fabulous bright pink of Tim Kordner and Half Moon Key.
    I just got my first Davisson's this year and one of the is Divas in Diamonds so I'm not to happy to hear of Debra's experience with it. Sure hope your luck changes. Judy says its a rapid increaser. Does it have lots of fans and no scapes?! I really don't like plants with low scape density. That's a lot of money to spend for no bloom.
    Val

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Val, Twix and Julia. CD is one of the Hansons I've had longest. I've heard my blooms are darker than those in other gardens, but I've always loved it. It has more buds this year than in others.

I'll have to look up Divas in Diamonds just to see what I'm missing. The last few years I've ordered new intros from Judy, but this year I caught up on some older ones that had previously been sold out.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I cant pick a favorite one either because they are all so beautiful, till I love them all.them pinks are gorgeous.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

Val - I have five fans of Divas in Diamonds and no scapes. Everything else I've ever bought from Judy has scaped the first or second year, so my experience with DID is odd.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

All pretty! Tim Kornder and Josette Lise are my favorites.
    Oh that bug in daylilies, I see them here all the time. I didn't know that they eat pollen... I remember googling katydid. Should do it again, can't remember a thing :)