Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

My Visit to Cottage Gardens in Medina, NY w/pics

remy_gw
15 years ago

Hi All,

I don't post much because I'm usually just drooling over your photos, but I finally have something to post about! : )

I and my friend, who lives out that way, took a trip to Cottage Gardens

http://daylily.net/gardens/cottagegardens/

in Medina(Pam I still need to come see your place too!)

It was wonderful. When we pulled up I was shocked at how many daylilies there were!

There was also whole back garden holding area, and the house garden with tons of newer much coveted daylilies.

Shallow Waters

Most of the newer cultivar pics are on the last half of my photo album pages.

The owners were so nice! They had water and pop and cookies to eat.

I bought Blueberry Breakfast. The clump was gorgeous.

And Gentle Rose another knockout of a clump. I think this photo is of it, lol.

And Impish Charm which is one of their own seedlings(not listed in the catalog, but for sale at the field. My friend also bought one called Doug which was a gorgeous beautiful red again only for sale at the field.) It is cute mini daylily. I forgot to take a pic while we were there, so this is once at home and the bloom is bit old looking, but still pretty.

I took about 225 pics and I petered out on the pic taking after awhile, lol. Some I have names.

Smith Brothers

Some not.

Unfortunately many blooms were not near the tags! A few tags were unreadable once home looking at the photo. This beauty I emailed them about it. I think it was one of their own seedlings.

It was a wonderful place to visit!

I hope you enjoy the pics,

Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Gardens Daylilies Photos

Comments (16)

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Oh such fun.....I envy you...wish I could have seen it all in person. Thanks so much for sharing your photos and your trip.
    Jan

• lefox
    15 years ago

you are so sweet to share---merci colette

• tjhemmer
    15 years ago

Great tour. Thanks for the trip.

It looks like it was a cooler day and sounds like you enjoyed it tremendously.

Thanks again

Tom

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Great post! I enjoyed looking at all those daylilies!

• wynative
    15 years ago

Remy,

I am soooo jealous! They are all beautiful! I would never be able to pick just a few... The catalog I order from every year has a 'viewing' similar to the one you went to. When my 13yr. old is in college and I get to travel again :) that will be one of my first trips!

Thanks for sharing,
    Marie

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

That last bloom is especially beautiful, Remy!
    I would have loved to have gone with you....they are ALL gorgeous. Wow, could I have gone broke there.... LOL
    I think I need to visit the Iris farm down the road from me, it's only 6 miles away, yet I haven't been. No excuses...it's just that by the time I remember it, the day is already gone!
    *sigh*
    I'm with Marie...I think my first trip when the kiddos are gone will be a cross-country garden tour & stopping to see some GW friends along the way! :O)

Melissa

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

Remy: Great to see pics. I plan on visiting them also in the next couple of weeks. It's on the list along with Mystic Meadows.
    We just did the FieLDS(Finger Lakes Daylily Society) Garden Tour on Sunday and yes, it rained. It was such a site to see and I now understand the meaning of how rain tolerant a daylily will be.LOL.
    Have you been yet to Pat Turner's Cat Post Gardens in Bloomfield? Good stop also. We also did a short stop at Grace Gardens-Tom & Kathy Roods but with all the rain we had to cut it short and head home. Their gardens are very close to where we live so we can always pick a "sunny" day to visit.

Julia

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan,
    When trying to explain to my father the awe I felt when pulling up in the car I told him I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz when they got to the field of poppies, lol.

Colette and FairySoapGirl,
    I'm glad you enjoyed the pics : )

Tom,
    It rained in the morning and then was cloudy for most of the time we were there. This was good since it was hot! when the sun came out. Plus taking photos is easier with clouds.

Marie,
    Drag the child along, lol!

Melissa,
    Good thing I didn't bring too much cash because it would be easy to spend too much! It was funny though when we were looking at the daylilies. If we went ooh at a daylily and the intro date was a 2000 something we didn't even look to see a price because we knew it would be too much, lol.
    Oh he emailed me back about the daylily, but couldn't open the photo link that I sent so I re-sent with a different link. I haven't hear back yet.

Julia,
    Our morning rain traveled right out your way! I'm sure your garden tour was still a good time. I did show my friend, who knows nothing about daylilies, what the rain damage was on some of the daylilies. I did realize later that the rain made it a good day to shop.
    You'll love it! The display/house garden is behind the cobblestone house. Thankfully there were a few "regulars" near us that cut through the hedge opening or we might have missed it.
    I've been meaning to go to Mystic for awhile, but still have not gone. She has so many cool spider and unusual form ones.
    I've know about Grace Gardens for a long time and have not gone. I believe 2 of my daylilies came from there. A plant swapper that was from Penn Yan that used to come to the WNY plant swap gave them to me in exchange for my roses. I think I will make my husband go with me if we go to Hammondsport next summer again. We like to go there when we can.
    I've not heard of Cat Post Gardens. Another one I must see, lol! : )
    Remy

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Wow, you sure do have something great to post about. That is deffinately a place I know I would enjoy visiting too. Great shots and I know you had a great time!

• mizellie
    15 years ago

Great pix Remy and I know what fun it was. I love visiting the gardens in Fl and have done so a few times. Wonderful pix...Ellie

• njmomma
    15 years ago

Looks Great! I wish I lived closer to see for myself, but it's 6 hours from me! Yikes - too much for me.

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

WOW What some beautiful daylilies.Wish I could go see a place like this,but nothing close to me and I can not travel far.The Blueberry Breakfast you bought is gorgeous.Hope it does well for you.Thank you for all these nice pictures to look at..Gorgeous.

Jean

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Thanks for letting us tag along on your adventure. Love that Blueberry Breakfast too.

• i_c_dillies
    15 years ago

Remy,
    What a fun day you must have had. Your photos are beautiful.
    I also like that Blueberry Breakfast. Were you able to get a pretty good size clump, or did they do a division for you?
    Thanks for posting your awesome pics.

Lrae

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed the pics.
    Blueberry Breakfast really was a standout in person. In fact as I started to say the name, Brent Ross knew what I was going to say. My friend took some home too.

Rita and NJMomma,
    You need to plan a trip to Niagara Falls during a future July. Then you can go there and to Mystic Meadows! : ) Oh and Nass Daylily Farm is only an hour or so away too, lol.

Lrae,
    I think they were quite generous.
    Blueberry Breakfast- I got 6, 2 blooming size fans, one just a bit smaller and 3 baby fans.
    Gentle Rose- I got 4, 3 blooming size fans, and one just a bit smaller.
    Impish Charm- I got 5 blooming size fans.
    Remy

• okbt
    15 years ago

Great trip! Thanks for posting all the wonderful pics.