Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Garden Views

newyorkrita
12 years ago

I was just thinking today how much I love the newest daylily bed which is the one I put in last spring in what used to the the veggie garden. The first picture will show that section. But I reason I think that it pleased me so much is that by the time I was buying daylilies for this section, I really had learned what I truely liked. So I bought exactly what I knew I would love. Sure worked out well.

The newest bed that used to be the veggie garden.

Summer Re-Run just loves to bloom.

Closeup of Summer Re-Run

Row of Hearts Of Fire

Intelligent Design.

Daylilies in the terraces garden with zinnias in back.

Front Yard Left.

Much of the Back yard.

Oh and I was really pleased to find my first rebloom scapes of the year. YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE has instant rebloom coming although the first scapes are tall and the new ones just coming thru. But on most of the fans so this is great. I am trying to remember who's intro this is but am drawing a blank. It was new last spring.

Comments (21)

• avedon_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful as always. Love the garden shor, everything looks great. Avedon

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Everything is so beautiful, Rita! I love the bed shots Summer Rerun and Hearts of fire look Amazing! The colors in the Terrace Grden are beautiful, and the yellow/gold in the front yard is so cheerful and sunny! The back yard looks like it is peak and it looks wonderful.. It has to be hard to leave it. I would have a little trouble with the sun, but I could set up the umbrella and just enjoy the beauty around me. Congrats on the rebloom! Nothing like it. Maybe you'll get lucky and get rebloom on Intelligent Design. I love that one too.
    kay

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

That first picture of what use to be the Veggie garden, sure is a lot prettier then veggies would be in there with all them beautiful blooms. And SUMMERS-RERUN is gorgeous.That big clump of them is soooo pretty. HEARTS OF FIRE is really a pretty bloom, too.I love mine. Looks like you still have some that hasn't bloomed yet in the last picture. They are all so very pretty. .I need some Rain here on mine.It has rained 4 or 5 miles from here, but, nothing here for several months.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Avedon- Thanks. Everything is in such glorious bloom, I just love to take garden view pictures to show the entire thing instead of just the closeup beauty shots.

Kay- Lots of rain this spring so I am hoping I get lots of rebloom. We will see. Truely the daylilies have never looked better. Some of my daylily beds are in peak. The Snapdragon garden and the plateau in the backyard and the Planterbox garden left side front yard plus the daylily row in front left side. Also the slope and driveway side gardens.

The new veggie garden section had started much later than the other two backyard beds so not in peak. Other late blooming beds are still to come.

Jean- I do love my tomato garden but I just had to redo that back yard into daylilies and Tall Bearded iris. The tomatoes just messed up the look of the backyard. I wanted pretty flowers.

• nat4b
    12 years ago

I enjoyed each and every picture, thanks for posting! I bet they are even more beautiful in person! Love that first combination of purple and what seems to me like lemon yellow. Then awesome Summer Re-run, I don't think I've seen that many flowers on a daylily plant. Love both Hearts of Fire and Intelligent Design. Love the red and dark-eyed beauties in the next picture, and the back yard is wow - so many daylilies! Wish I could go on your garden tour ;)

• opnjmprs
    12 years ago

Your yard and beds look like a daylily lovers dream. What a fantastic job you've done. I'm about to redo some garden areas here. Hope they turn out to look as nice as yours. Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nat- It is purple and lemon yellow. In the last picture those daylilies you see way at the back over by the building (which is my back neighbors garage) are on the daylily plateau.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda- I sure hope you don't have as much to redo as I did two years ago. Too much work.

• njmomma
    12 years ago

I love the garden shots. Hearts of Fire is stunning.

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Very nice use of a veggie garden Summer Re-Run is stunning.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys! I do miss the veggie garden and actually have a very small one now over near my driveway were I have some tomatoes and cucumbers planted.

• jim2009_gardener
    12 years ago

Nice garden views. I'm phasing out the veggie garden also.
    Simply not worth the trouble - after 3 back to back hail storms. The lilies took a beating but with a new day one couldn't tell they had been hit. The pictures give graet ideas.

• mizellie
    12 years ago

Beautiful Rita. I was trying to find which bed I liked the most and came up with.....zilch. I think they are all looking terrific!...Ellie

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Rita, I have a couple Patio Tomatoes planted in pots, sitting in the middle of some of the potted daylilies and roses.I fertilized them pretty heavy and they have had some pretty big tomatoes on them.Way bigger then was suppose to be...Well,I done it this way, because the deer found my tomatoes last year and ate all my tomatoes.I hope they are all alive tomorrow evening as I didnt go out and water everything this evening.We had a little 15 minute shower this evening, and later when I went out to water,it was so steamy hot out there, it made me feel sick,so I came back in and didnt water anything.Its suppose to be 100 plus all next week, too with no rain, they say.Its just miserable outside.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I actually would love to havce the room like I used to have for my tomatoes and such. But the need to plant more flowers just got too strong. Plus that entire mid bed section was surrounded by daylily plants and the tomatoes just didn't look reallly pretty and spoiled the views looking accross. So by-by veggie garden. I made part of it into its own bed of nothing but late and extra late blooming daylilies. Then I have a really nice Tall Bearded iris bed that holds way over 100 plants (have to count them but there are three rows of iris). There are small sections for annuals in rows and a large row of dutch iris and then lots of lovely daylilies. I love it the way it looks now.

Jean- I tried some tomatoes in pots last year but didn't like that so I never did it again. I have a smaller amount of tomatoe plants and some cucumbers but it is enough for me.

• bourret
    12 years ago

Beautiful Rita! I can tell how hard you've worked. Bless you.

Lisa

• Nancy
    12 years ago

I've just been scrolling back & forth, enjoying your pictures, Rita. They are truly wonderful.

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

Rita, Your clump shot of Summer Re-Run is amazing! Your garden looks beautiful. I love your row of Hearts of Fire. I've always liked one cultivar planted en-masse ... it has so much visual punch.
    Kathy

• sunnyjay
    12 years ago

Just beautiful! My fave is Summer Re-Run, what a great colour!

Jason

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

Love the shot that used to be the veggie garden!! The Hearts of Fire in a row are likewise wonderful.. I do like Intelligent Design. That backyard view is just pleasing, and you should be pleased. It all looks so wonderful. That's great that you are seeing rebloom scapes. cindy

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

These are wonderful to look at. I just love looking at the variety of color in the garden, don't you? Your eyes never seem to rest for very long before noticing another great bloomer.

Julia

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH