Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does total quantity of buds affect bloom quality?

Posted by del_s 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 16:06

Many of our daylily plants are blooming like tulips. Last year a plant such as Barbara White was blooming beautifully with 4 or 5 blooms per day, a real show-stopper. This year the same plant might have a similar number of blooms but they only open partly, petals not flat but curled up a little at the edges. That plant probably has 7 scapes with 15 - 25 buds per scape. These numbers are typical. Plants with a half dozen scapes, each with 15 -30 buds are not blooming as completely as they did when they had fewer total buds. On the other hand, Arctic Lace has 5 scapes each with 20-25 buds and has been blooming merrily for weeks now with 4-5 perfectly open blooms each day. All these plants get the same sun and moisture. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does total quantity of buds affect bloom quality?

I think the problem you're having with some of the sepals not opening all the way may be related to temperature. If we have cool nights, many of my daylilies bloom that way and never completely open even if daytime temps are high.

I've rarely had an issue with daylilies not opening because the blooms were too plentiful. Occasionally I'll have several blooms at the same time that are next to each other, but they still open.

Chris

o

I agree with Chris - bud count isn't the problem. I'm trying not to judge my daylilies this year because of the winter we had and the cooler summer we're having this summer. Some of mine are loving the cooler summer and fared well through the winter and others barely bloomed or bloomed shorter than any other past year.

o

Thank you both for your comments. We have had a series of 50 degree F nights. Seems reasonable that that might have an effect. Nice to have a few cool morning openers.
Del

o

The only time quantity of buds could be a problem if there are no branches and all those buds are bunched at the top. Then the other buds prevent the bloom to open fully. But I think it's colder nights. It's been a rather cool summer here so far. I am so happy there are flowers that open in spite of that.
I am also glad you mention Arctic Lace opens well!

o

There was the odd morning, usually after a day of cool rain, when Arctic Lace was looking like all the others, but mostly it's been a fantastic bloomer here.

o

Great! I am ok with a few not so good flowers especially on a southern cultivar :) I added it this year lets see how it will survive the winter.

o

I'll throw my two cents in here regarding Arctic Lace. I've been amazed by the quality of the blooms since its first year here. Every bloom is perfect, and it's probably in my top five favorite daylilies.

Chris

o

I would like to update recent bloom. The nighttime lows rose about 5 degrees and you all were right. The bloom quality shot up. Most everything opened perfectly. So nice to see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here