Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New - Terraces and Tomatoes Revisited

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 16:09

Views of groupings in the terraces and then some closeups of daylilies blooming there.

Photobucket
Daylilies blooming in the terraces garden.

Photobucket
More groups of daylilies blooming in the terraces garden.

Photobucket
Barney

Photobucket
Hawaiin Dancer.

Photobucket
Screaming Queen

Photobucket
Shadow OF His Hand

Photobucket
Soul On Fire

Photobucket
Westbournes Oranges For Christmas FFO

Photobucket
Herbgirls Cherry Moonshine

Photobucket
Tomatoes in front of the porch shot from in back of the daylily row across the path. Shooting them from the longer view really lets you see how tall they are.

Photobucket
Taller than the porch railing!

Photobucket
Tomatoes in the tomato sack.

Photobucket
New Tomato garden area.

Photobucket
Old tomato garden area.

Photobucket
And a closeup from around the other side.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New - Terraces and Tomatoes Revisited

I love the garden views! Barney and Soul On Fire are my favorites today. The tomatoes are looking healthy and load bearing. That will be some good eatin'!

Debra

o

Both Soul on Fire and Hawaiian Dancer caught my eye. Soul on Fire looks large. Does it bloom larger than the registered 5"? Perhaps it's your fertilizer. You never get deer or raccoons eating your tomatoes? I suppose that's one advantage of terraces. The tomato cages seem to be doing their job.

o

Thank you Debra, the tomatoes have lots of green fruit.
Mantis, no Soul On Fire is not larger than it is registered. Most be the angle of the shot. There are no deer here fortunately and the racoons have better things to eat than my tomatoes. Terraced gardens would not stop a racoon!

o

WOW!!LOVe these pictures. That first one of the terrace garden is gorgeous. I pulled it up and the first thing I see is them gorgeous big daylily blooms in front. looks like Red ones or maybe Orange ones. Cant reall tell, but they are gorgeous., and BARNEY is gorgeous.Hes my favorite.. I really like HAWAIIN DANCER, too and it looks like a huge bloom, too. and SCREAMING QUEEN. I dont rememebr ever seeing that one before and its a beauty.I love SOUL ON FIRE, AND W. ORANGES FOR CHRISTMAS. very pretty.HERBGIRLS CHERRY MOONSHINE is a gorgeous one, also., then the tomatoes. They look like litle trees in fron of your porch. taller then the railing, but looking really nice.Looks like they like the tomatoe sack, too..Looking good. and the old tomatoe garden is really looking great and just loaded with tomatoes.You are going to have tomatoes by the bushel baskets.Hows your cucumbers coming along?One of my plants just burnt up. was just too hot for them.I have injoyed all these pictures.

jean

o
RE: cukes and daylilies

Jean, thanks. The daylilies are really blooming around here now. Those ones in front in pic one are orange SUMMER RE-RUN.

I have been picking cucumbers each day from my bowl of SALAD BUSH cukes as I eat one each day but yesterday I picked 5 big cucumbers from the inground ones in the backyard and gave them to my neighbor. Today I picked 4 more cukes and gave them to the guy that cuts my grass (and does all my terrace work). So cucumbers doing very well.

Can't wait for the tomatoes to really start producing ripe fruits.

o

oh that is really great RITA> i am so glad that all your hard work is paying off and you have plenty cucumbers to eat and will soon have maters, too.Dont know wht you call them tomatoe sacks, but I am going to ask the guy at the feed store if he can get me some. I think they would do good here for me for next year.maybe he can,I would just want 2 or 3 of them.I just never knew they had such a thing. but, then again,I would have to put them inside my little fenced in area to stop the deer from eating them up., unless I was to fix a area with a electric fence..I bet I would think up some thing :)

jean

o

The cucumbers so far are either from the cucumber bowl and yesterdays and todays from the inground ones that I planted as seedlings. The ones I started myself from seeds have no fruit yet though some do have flowers. But I have an entire big trellis row (12 feet) of those so should have more cucumbers than anyone knows what to do with once they start with the fruit.

The tomato sack I bought at a local nursery and they called it a PATIO GROW BAG. Looks like a sack to me so I call it a sack. Don't much like it. Hard to keep watered as it dries out really quickly even though I soak it each day.

o

I like Barney and your tomatoes look so much happier than mine. They just haven't gotten enough water even though I have tried. I did put a cucumber in a large planter with a trellis, and it has done much better than the same cucumber that I planted in the ground.

o

Everything looks spectacular, Rita. Barney and Soul on Fire are my picks for the day.

Did you ever tell us home many tomato plants you put in this year?

o

As beautiful as your daylilies are, I am amazed at how big & healthy your tomato plants are. Mine look more like the ones in your grow sack. It has just been too dry, even though I try to water every day. Just not the same as rain.
Love the 1st photo of your daylilies, just love seeing all the colors together like that.

o

Lisa, thanks. I have some cucumbers in a planter bowl myself and they do very well.

Chris, I think I did fess up on the last tomato thread but maybe not. I put in 50 tomato plants. 48 are still here. One got mildew early so bad I pulled it out and tossed it, and one plant I pulled out about three days ago as it had mostly yellow leaves. No patience to try and fix things just tossed them outta here and straight into the trash.

Nancy, thanks. You know I do lots of garden shots and especially now that the daylilies are in bloom and looking so good. As to the tomatoes, I am amazed at the size of the darn things. I have to look up at the tops of the ones by the porch. I have taken to calling them tomato trees ha-ha.

My grass cutting guy (the same guys that does my terraces) was here today and was just astounded at the tomato trees. I told him I put compost on mine (bagged). He said he put compost on his also but they were half the size of mine.

o

All of your plantings look great. Everything in your yard looks so green. Those are some great looking tomato plants. My favorite daylilies today are BARNEY and SOUL ON FIRE.
Val

o

RITA: The grow bag "POTS" dry out pretty quick too.Kind of depends on what kind of potting soil it used, as how fast they dry out.bUT, things grow good in them.

jean

o

Thanks, Val. It pays to have lots of rain like we have been having to make big daylily plants and big tomato plants too lol!

Jean, I never thought about how fast things might dry out in the grow pots or the sack. But next year I an NOT planting tomatoes in it. I am thinking I will use it for peppers. I had bought three pepper plants this spring but the slugs totally destroyed them. Sack would be good, stay away from slugs and pepper plants don't want to grow as big as tomato plants do anyway.

o

Love the group of Barney, and Screaming Queen, but your magnificent tomatoes take the cake, Rita.
kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here