Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Favorites for Wednesday and Your Input?

maximus7116
10 years ago

First off is the FFO for QUILLER, a bonus from last year. No quilling yet, but love the coloring:

FFO from BEACHIN' BABE, planted last year. The photo was taken around noon and the edge was almost transparent by that time. Has anyone experienced that with a daylily so early in the day? I like the daylily otherwise.

IMPRESSIONISTIC: This is planted in the worst, shadiest part of the garden and I'm curious about how it has performed for others in similar climates. I have limited space and need to know if Impressionistic's performance makes it worthy of a new home here.

And the parade of Hansons continues. The first is ON THE WATERFRONT:

Next is my favorite daylily, with the first photo taken in the a.m. and the second photo around noon. Check out those buds on CATASTROPHE WAITRESS:

And finally SWALLOW TAIL KITE. This poor flower has been moved three times since it arrived in 2006 and yet it continues to be prolific and lovely:

Chris

Comments (16)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Chris, I have kept Impressionistic for a couple of years now. It re-bloomed both years. It takes it until about 7:30 to be fully open if it is cool. I'm keeping it another year. Love the colors on Quiller. It is similar to the colors on Time Lord which will always have a spot in my garden. Catastrophe Waitress is another than starts out looking ordinary and becomes extremely special. I really like that later shot, and understand why it would be your favorite.

kay

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Some beautiful flowers there.

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

The only one of these I grow is Swallowtail Kite and I am in great admiration of your photo. Color is so good.

The Hansons are beautiful. Quiller is interesting, but I would hope it grows taller than registered (just me, I like 'em a bit taller).

More Hansons!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Quiller is a thriller. Can't wait to see the quilling. On the Waterfront is a very pleasing shade of lavender. I'm surprised that Beachin Babe has grown well for you. And it opened well even with that heavy fringe.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Quiller is beautiful.
    I don't grow Impressionistic, but it's pretty, light, opened well, I'd keep :) His flowers for some reason are small here.
    And unfortunately yes, most of my daylilies are totally done by noon, ha, there are some that are sun-damaged by 10am already. So daylilies are morning-lilies for me.

• shive
    10 years ago

Catastrophe Waitress has very impressive buds, but the color doesn't do it for me. On the other hand, Swallowtail Kite has just my kind of color, and it is my favorite of these. It seems to me I added that one one fall, only to have it die in a pot one wet winter. Impressionistic looks really lovely too. If I were you, I'd give it a chance to acclimate to your climate..

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Those buds on Catastrophe Waitress are really impressive. Looks like just the kind of plant that would be a favorite for me too. I love the color of Swallowtail Kite and it is already a favorite of mine and my pick for today.
    Val

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I'm excited to see how Quiller will improve. The coloring does remind me of Time Lord, too.

Debra, Impressionistic has been here quite a few years, and the extreme shade has happened only recently. It's such a pretty flower when it opens well, but with limited space I'm not sure a pretty face is enough.

Mantis, Dan Hansen assured me his plants had been tested in my climate, so I took a chance and ordered four last year. I wanted several of his edge-no eye daylilies. This is the first bloom so far.

Katie, more Hansons will be on the way, I'm sure!

• polymerous
    10 years ago

I am curious to know how 'Impressionistic' does in the shade, as I have a lot of shade (and I requested 'Impressionistic' as a bonus for this fall).

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

I really like the looks of Quiller, I remember noticing that one on Slightly Different's web site a couple of years ago. I'll look forward to seeing more pictures of it from you. Catastrophe Waitress always intrigues me - I came really close to buying it on the auction last year. Those buds are amazing!

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Love the Hansons. On The Waterfront would be my pick. Nice form and color.

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Twix and Julia. I had seen and admired Quiller on the website also, but was completely surprised to receive it as a bonus.

Poly, Impressionistic receives little sun right now (perhaps three hours?) and probably has six buds or less and no increase in the years it's been here. Despite the conditions, the blooms usually look pretty good.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Quiller and On the Waterfront do it for me.
    Linda

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I haven't seen any of these before. What a treat! The buds on CATASTROPHE WAITRESS are amazing. It looks like a tall daylily. How tall is it? QUILLER is a nice color. Look forward to seeing it at maturity. IMPRESSIONISTIC is my favorite though. Even in the shade she is doing well. Thanks for posting. Marg

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Love the noon version of CATASTROPHE WAITRESS.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Linda and Marg. I'll be sure to post more photos of Quiller once it starts quilling. Marg, CW is an amazing plant. It's listed at 33" tall, but is slightly taller here. I haven't done a bud count yet, but I know it has great branching and very sturdy scapes. This is its third full year in the garden.

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia