Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

This Week's Winsome Wonders

shive
9 years ago

I've been out of town for the past week, but I took some photos the morning I left. I've included a few my husband took while he was minding the daylilies.

KENTUCKY LUCKY is a wonderful late Rice polychrome. It is definitely a better performer here than the late Reckamp polychromes I have, so I'm thinking of moving a couple of those out of the garden.

KENTUCKY LUCKY clump

FOREVER REDEEMED with petals and sepals recurved. The ffo happened after a cool night and the petals and sepals did not recurve until late afternoon.

DANCE AGAIN is a welcome face in the late garden.

TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC with STROLLING IN THE ROSES on the side.

SUMMERTIME REVIVAL is another nice late bloomer

DIVAS IN DIAMONDS ffo - I think this is going to become my favorite pink UF.

RECKLESS GIRLS is a very nice purple watermarked UF. It will be replacing Cool Twister in the garden.

MISS DEMEANOR is still looking for a piece of ground. It made it through the winter in a pot without losing any fans.

Late near white seedling out of Dust Be Diamonds and Tuxedo Junction.

Seedling Palace Garden Beauty X Karelia - The petal color is a very light peach that looks whiter in the morning light.

Debra

Comments (18)

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Nice job keeping up with the daylily photos while you were gone! That clump shot of Mr. Lucky is amazing. I forget how much I like polychromes until I see good photos of them, or until the few I have show their faces. Mine are all yellow, so I like the look of the lighter Mr. Lucky.

Summertime Revival is one I don't remember seeing before. The veining is terrific and it's the perfect shade of pink.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Mr Lucky is gorgeous! Miss Demeanor is awfully pretty too. I'd like to see a closeup on Strolling In The Roses. I really like the Palace Garden Beauty seedling.
    kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I'm being seduced by a Teddy Bear. Have you ever grown Trahlyta to compare it with? The colors looks similar, but that's from my memory. How's the overall growth of TBP?...Your picture of Kentucky Lucky is beautiful and I like the soft colors of Miss Deameanor....Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris, Kay, and Maryl - Kentucky Lucky really loves the heat we are having recently. The hotter the temps, the more obvious the pink and peach colors are with the yellow.

Maryl - I have grown Trahlyta and gave it away last year. I rarely got the grayed lavender look in this climate. Teddy Bear's Picnic is a bigger plant with better foliage and bud count. It starts out every day with the grayed or browned purple color. As the day wears on and temps increase, it becomes more and more purple. Here's what it looks like by evening.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Oh Kentucky Lucky is very pretty!
    I had the same idea of replacing some with better similar looking cultivars, but it isn't working as well so far, still holding on to the old ones, so hard to part :)
    Love Summertime Revival too.
    Forever Redeemed looks so better recurved right? Mine had an FFO today but the bloom was stuck between the buds..

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

OMgosh. That's really nice. It's on my official list now and will take the place of Trahlyta. It's that smokey color that's getting to me and even if the color changes, the end color is also pretty......Thanks Debra.

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

So many pretties, but I love Judy Davisson's cultivars, and particularly Divas in Diamonds. I have been afraid our climate is too warm for it to do well, if it is a hard dormant, I'll have to contact her about it. Also love Miss Demeanor and Teddy Bear's Picnic. Mister Lucky is a lovely polychrome. Avedon

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Sorry I got the wrong name of the polychrome, It is Kentucky Lucky, and so very pretty--those buds are impressive. Avedon

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Avedon - It's funny how many people called KL Mister Lucky. The bud count and branching is very nice on Kentucky Lucky, although last year was even better. That one and Rice's Best for Last are my best performing late bloomers.

Nat - I do love the recurved blooms on Forever Redeemed! I know what you mean about not being able to part with some of your older daylilies. They're kind of like old friends.

Debra

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

My favorites are Summertime Revival, and love the eye zone on your seedling. Very nice.

Linda

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Teddy Bear's Picnic intrigues me.

• gardenofeden777
    9 years ago

Debra that Kentucky Lucky clump is awesome. Your firstseedling is very pretty, they both are but that's my favorite.

Went thru them again and wow, Kentucky Lucky is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

I find many of the Thoroughbred daylilies are wonderful performers here. I believe I have KENTUCKY LUCKY too. See what happens when you have too many....you can't remember if you grow something or not. LOL.

I also thought your Teddy Bear Picnic dl looked like Trahlyta.

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Teddy Bear's Picnic always catches my eye. I like your seedling too, the delicate ruffled edges are very appealing.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

They are all so pretty.I really like TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC. but today, my favorite one isSUMMERTIME REVIVAL. That is a beauty.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda and twix - Thanks for the seedling comments!

Eden - Kentucky Lucky is a stunner and so well budded. It's not registered as a rebloomer, but last year several fans did rebloom.

Jean - Summertime Revival is a very pretty late. I need to get it out of the pot so it will perform better.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julia - One of Teddy Bears Picnic is tet Trahlyta.

Debra

• gardenofeden777
    9 years ago

That's nice to hear about K.L. I have quite a few that rebloom that aren't listed as rebloomers, especially if they were hybridized in a colder climate than mine. That is always an unexpected treat.

Rena' :-)