Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Jewels Amid the Ratty Folliage...

Nancy Barginear
10 years ago

Still managing to get a few remarkable blooms here and there, even after the killing heat spell.

A TANGERINE HORSES baby of unusual form

A bright, happy seedling - records indicate parents are (DIVINE COMEDY X CLAUDINE'S CHARM) - hard to believe! Surely MAMA'S CHERRY PIE or HAPPY APACHE is somewhere?

Another pretty face (VIOLET STAINED GLASS X MYSTIC IMAGE)

EURO-MAZING - very showy

EXECUTIVE DECISION - really improved this year

FIREFLY FRENZY

FRANK'S STAR OF BETHLEHEM - such a delightful color with every bloom

HIGHLAND LORD - this old man is always in splendid form

JULIE NEWMAR - blooming in groups all season long

LAYERS OF GOLD - an "oldie" that ranks high among my favorites

PRESUMED INNOCENT - Its beauty speaks for itself

SPANISH FIESTA - an excellent, excellent flower

UPGRADE - faces vary with the weather - still looking good in the heat

Like mother (BEAUTIFUL EDGING), like daughter -- only this tall one is bigger than mama tipped with a pure lavender color. Pod parent was a NOID gift from a friend with big pale lavender blooms.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN - with teeth! It gets quite toothy as the weather heats up

PUCCINI - finally after a three year wait, lovely double blooms

Nancy

Comments (10)

• shive
    10 years ago

I love the second seedling! It does seem puzzling that you would get such a seedling from that cross. My favorite of the registered ones is Executive Decision.It's such a wonderful bright red!

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Some real beauties! I like the Julie Newmar picture. I wonder if we can get some comments on northern experiences with some of these, particularly Julie Newmar, Spanish Fiesta, and Frank's Star of Bethlehem. I'm not interested in whether they survive; rather, I want to know whether they flourish, on normal-height scapes. I too like Executive Decision, but does it exceed the 23" (a little short to suit me)? The Beautiful Edging seedling bloom is a gem, but is it perhaps too tall?

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I agree, Spanish Fiesta is an excellent, excellent plant. No re-bloom spikes yet, but it did re-bloom last year. Julie Newmar is a beauty. I like your second seedling, and I especially like that last seedling.Is that a typical form for Firefly Frenzie? Presumed Innocent is one of few I like with the yellow edge. I really like Executive Decision. No favorite, I like too many of them.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Love those gorgeous blooms! EXECUTIVE DECISION is my favorite, love that bright red.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

You have some very pretty ones, Nancy,I like the 2nd sedling bloom. and my favorite of them all is EXECUTIVE DECISION - Love that red.

jean

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debra, I've had three seedlings turn up this year similar to Happy Apache, but parentage does not reflect kinship to HA. There may have been a busy bee that started pollinating earlier than I did. There have been so really unexpected surprises among the 2011 seedlings.

Mantis - Executive Decision has never seemed short to me, though I've never measured it. This year, most of the scapes in our garden are extraordinarily tall, and it is no exception. Time will tell on the BE baby. This was an unusual year.

Kay - Firefly Frenzy has always had these big yellow "tutus" for blooms. It is quite a standout in the garden with blooms normally above the rest.

Jean, thanks - glad you like Executive Decision. It started out slow and has improved gradually year by year.

Nancy

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

Really like your seedlings. Hope you get some good performers from your efforts.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Nancy, lots of pretties. I like your seedlings very much, and Executive Decision and Julie Newmar are standouts. Avedon

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I love the picture of Julie Newmar. The second seedling has a nice edge on it. The Beautiful Edging seedling is very nice. I just added Presumed Innocent to my list (which is getting longer all the time!). Marg

• nat4b
    10 years ago

So many pretties! From the seedlings I like 2nd and 3rd. From registered - Executive Decision is really nice, Firefly Frenzy made me smile, love Presumed Innocent, and Spanish Fiesta is just gorgeous!