Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Buggy and Muggy Thursday

maximus7116
10 years ago

This is a bad year for bugs here -- so many of the daylilies aren't worth photographing because they have munch marks or splotchiness from the rain and dew. These were the best of today's crop:

BETTY FORD, my favorite red:

ATLAST SHRUGGED, looking so much pinker than normal at 6:00 a.m.. It's usually a unique shade of salmon/coral.

HOT CAKES, one of the only Kaskels left here. It's not prolific, but once it blooms, I don't have the heart to get rid of it:

PRIMAL SCREAM, starting the season beautifully:

LOUNGE LIZARD, planted in too much shade:

SACCO AND VANZETTI, new to the garden:

AT FIRST BLUSH, also in too much shade:

And finally AFRICAN GRAPE. I went on a tear a few years ago and bought so many Munsons. Now I've culled the ones that didn't thrive, and African Grape made the cut. My favorite purple Munson.

Chris

Comments (16)

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

African Grape is pretty, and I'm going to add it to my want list. I knew Bill Munson back in the day when he was just beginning to experiment with Tetraploids.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, Faraway, that's impressive! There are still quite a few Munson-lovers here on the forum. I'd guess almost all of us still grow some Munsons in our gardens. He introduced a lot of evergreens that didn't fare well here, but the ones I still have are beautiful.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

You started with a bang, that's a lovely Betty Ford. Yes, the color of Atlas Shrugged is very nice. African Grape is a good purple with that big watermark. Avedon

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Atlas Shrugged has been very slow here. I got one bloom in the third year. African Grape is a great increaser--a very rich color. At First Blush certainly looks lovely. I concur in your evaluation of Betty Ford--wonderful color and watermark eye, plus a great performer.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

They are all just gorgeous, but my favorite one is that
    LOUNGE LIZARD. that's a real beauty. with AFRICAN GRAPE. as my second choice. beautiful blooms.

jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I do so love reds and oranges, hat I can't chose one. I like Primal Scream, Sacco and Vanzetti, Atlas Shrugged and Betty Ford, one of my favorite reds too.

Bugs and rain and awful humidity here...and awful weeds. ah well, what can we do?
    kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Love that first picture, Betty Ford is my favorite. I don't know how Atlas is supposed to look but I like its early morning coloring. Hot Cakes is sure bright! Also like Sacco and Vanzetti (interesting name) :)
    I think I have already asked this, but did you cull Court Magician (if you grew it)?

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Oh gee Chris, can't pick a favorite again. Betty Ford is enticing but Sacco and Vanzetti also has its wonderful color.

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.

Mantis, I'm sorry to hear Atlas Shrugged is off to a slow start. You know it's one of my favorite Hansons and has performed well here. When other blooms are splotchy, that one seems to hold its own.

Nat, I did grow Court Magician once upon a time, but it was one that never increased and had sparse blooms. I've heard others in our climate have had good luck with it. It was a pretty bloom.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Betty Ford looks to be a wonderful red. Lounge Lizard is really pretty too. Lounge Lizard came to my garden fall of '11 I think, & had done really well.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Thanks for answering, Chris. Mine has increased, and I haven't counted the buds yet but looks like it's an ok bud count, but the flowers just won't open all the way. I like the bloom so still hesitating on whether to keep it or not.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat, I had that problem with quite a few Munsons. The sepals would never fully open, so I got rid of them. That might have been a problem with Court Magician. I still have Violet Sunrise because I waited so long to find it, but it's out after this year. There hasn't been a fully open bloom yet.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Ruffled Lemon Piping seems to open well, can't reach it to count buds. Also CM's color seems really purple unlike other purples which are.. well, burgundy sort of. But probably this bad opening will outweigh all other pluses :)

• shive
    10 years ago

All of your blooms today are marvelous. Atlas Shrugged looking more pink than salmon and African Grape are my favorites.

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Buggy, Muggy or not you have some really nice ones, my favorites are Betty Ford and African Grape.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Love BETTY FORD.