Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

maximus/Chris - Question on JD daylilies

Julia WV (6b)
11 years ago

I thought I remember reading somewhere on the forum that you grow several of Judy's dls. Which ones have you gotten and can you give some feedback and pics if you have any?

Thanks

Julia

Comments (19)

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

I LOVE Judy's intros. Most of them are new to the garden, and this year's weather dried up so many buds that I didn't get to see blooms from NO BOYS ALLOWED, IN MY PINK HIGH HEELS, HIGH WATER MARK, STILL THE ONE, BACHELOR PARTY, DANCING ON DADDY'S FEET or LAST BLAST.

TAHITI SWEETIE

RED HEADED HUSSEY

REV IT UP (not settled in yet)

RIBBIT RIBBIT (not settled in)

UP AND AT 'EM (FFOs on new plant)

Hope the photos of "preview" blooms on new plants give you an idea of how they look. I think once they settle in they'll be great.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

I am going to chime in on this post. Just ordered In My Pink High Heels, and would have loved to see a photo from your garden, but Mother Nature has not been kind to us this year. I am hoping in the spring to be able to get a couple more, and I am interested in Ribbit Ribbit and Dancing On Daddy's Feet. I wanted to get Gimme Gimme Gimee but that one is sold out and may be for some time. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Chris. I also have RIBBIT RIBBIT that she sent me along with the others I ordered. I know she uses some of Curt's seedlings in some of her crosses so I was interested in possibly getting a few more for next year. I was interested in NO BOYS ALLOWED and DANCING ON DADDY'S FEET. I'm such a sucker for a watermark LOL.

I was wondering if anyone had LOST IN THE TOY STORE?

Kay: Did you post a pic of GIMME GIMME GIMME on the forum?
    I'll go back and see if I can find it.

Avedon: I think you will be very pleased with your plants. I know I was when she sent mine this spring.

Julia

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Julia, I can't resist the watermarks, either. Did your Ribbit Ribbit bloom this year? I think it will be an interesting one once it gets settled.

I've had No Boys Allowed for a few years and haven't seen it bloom yet. Judy didn't have any available so I had to find it elsewhere. I moved it last year (along with Jellyroll Morton -- also no blooms yet), so I'm hoping next year will be the year it gets going.

Let me know what you end up ordering. I have a list of seven or so right now that I have my eye on.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Lost In The Toy Store is another one I want to get, so any info on that one is appreciated. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris: Yes, it did bloom. In fact all the ones I got from Judy this spring bloomed and only RAMBUNCTIOUS ROSIE is going for the "gold" by sending up more scapes. Here is what RIBBIT RIBBIT looked like on the first bloom. It had better colors on the other blooms but I didn't take more pics and just cut the scapes. I had also got MEAN GREEN, WHAT'S UP DOWN SOUTH and RAMBUNCTIOUS ROSIE.

Hopefully others who have Judy's daylilies will post their pics too.

Julia

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

I know I've seen No Boys Allowed posted here. I think Debra has a few of Judy's intros, so maybe she'll chime in here with some of her pics.

Rambunctious Rosie is one of the ones on my list. I was torn between ordering Tahiti Sweetie and What's Up Down South the year they were introduced and ended up choosing Tahiti Sweetie, and I'm thrilled with that one.

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

The only one I have is High Watermark and it was not at its best this year due to the weather.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lisa: Thanks for the post. I like that big watermark and yes, it has been a difficult year. I've added that one to the list now.

Julia

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

I see that the last post on "Longest Blooming Daylilies" was entered by Cracking The Concrete who said that J. Davisson's Backseat Debutante made her list. Avedon

• shive
    11 years ago

I'm still growing No Boys Allowed in a pot, so it's not at its best. It has a pretty bloom, but not a lot of buds. I would recommend the similar but more vigorous Sweet Child of Mine by Nan Wilkerson as the better garden plant. Both are reluctant pod parents in my garden. I've never gotten a pod on NBA in three years. I have gotten two pods on SCOM in four years.

NO BOYS ALLOWED

• shive
    11 years ago

I got two late bloomers from Judy last fall, We Are the Champions and Miss Goldie Gold Digger. Both bloomed nice and late.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS was my favorite of the two lates.

MISS GOLDIE GOLD DIGGER

I got four of Judy's intros this spring. Two of them, Miss Demeanor and Divas in Diamonds, did not bloom. Michael Davisson bloomed on a scape put up shortly after I received the order, and the blooms were off color and not very large because it had just been planted. The fourth was a stunner and one of my very favorite first time bloomers this season.

CAROLINA COOL DOWN has gorgeous color and a wonderful applique pattern! I love, love, love this one!

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Debra. Do you think NO BOYS ALLOWED would have done better if you put it in the ground versus keeping in a pot?
    The others that you have, are those in the ground or in pots also?

Julia

• shive
    11 years ago

Julia - No Boys Allowed is only registered as having 16 buds, so it's not really a top performer. Judy has used it to produce offspring that perform much better. I have much better luck using it as a pollen parent than a pod parent. The two lates were planted in the ground last fall. My spring acquisitions are still in pots.

Debra

• shive
    11 years ago

Julia - Here's my photo of Wilkerson's Sweet Child of Mine from this summer. It's nearly the same the color as No Boys with better branching and bud count. I am fans of both Judy and Nan, but Sweet Child is the better the two. By the way, neither looks rose pink until late in the day here. They start out looking red lavender.

SWEET CHILD OF MINE

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Debra for the info. Good to know which has performed better for you.

Julia

• shive
    11 years ago

The photo I posted as Carolina Cool Down may actually be Michael Davisson. Judy emailed me and said it looks more like Michael Davisson. I look forward to seeing both in bloom next season.

Julia - I think almost everything here does better in the ground than in a pot. But when you run out of garden space and you are a daylily addict, pots are the temporary answer. That pot probably has very few nutrients left in it. It was so hot in May that I couldn't fertilize the pots like I usually do. I'm working on a new garden for UFs and vow to get No Boys Allowed in the ground this September. Maybe next year I will telling you how it great it's doing.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I prefer to think of myself as a daylily enthusiast. My problem isn't space, it is managing all that I create LOL.

Looking forward to your UF garden next year.

Julia