Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Some Keep Hanging On

mantis__oh
11 years ago

Given the fact that the season has been accelerated, I am surprised at the number still at it.

THUNDER AND BLAZES is filled with rebloom scapes:

ANGEL RODGERS with its usual clear coloration:

PANDA BEAR also loaded with rebloom, but blooming beneath some foliage:

LAVENDER STARDUST clear and perfect, still at it:

COSMIC TRAVELER still attracting attention on rebloom.

PLEASE SAY YES some blooms have been splotchy

Seedling Branching is not good.

SARA CHRISTINE throws an extravagantly crispate bloom at the end:

Picked up MARDI GRAS BEADS at Ashwood (rebloom):

Saw obscenely gorgeous Sam Abells:

After that, we need some demure, but painted, hibiscus:

For some, daylilies are not the prime attraction:

Comments (10)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful butterfly pics, Mantis. I also really like Sam Abells and Lavender Stardust. Your seedling is very attractive, branching or not.
    kay

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Trying to pick a favorite amont your gorgeous daylilies is impossible! Love your butterfly and moth (?) pictures. I never have a camera handy when I see things like that. How do you manage? Great photography!

We have a moth (?) that comes out every evening at dusk and races from one daylily bloom to the next. I'm not sure what it is - it's pretty big, as large as a hummingbird. I've never seen it sitting still, so don't really know what it looks like.

Nancy

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

How is the scape height on LAVENDER STARDUST? Bud count?

Nice butterfly pics and the hummingbird moth. I haven't seen alot of butterflies this year. Far fewer this year.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lavender Stardust: One clump is 24"; the other is 26". Bud count is 16-20.

Does anyone know the name of this rather late blooming spiderlike cultivar. Not a big flower (around 5") and a diploid. It was sent by mistake, and I've kept it because it's sort of cute, though nothing great.

• JJOF
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures! Love your hibiscus. I have one very similar except mine is darker pink.
    Jason

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy: The butterfly bush is so compelling that it is not difficult to find various visitors. I can carry a camera in my pocket, which is one advantage of the point and shoot. No way could I carry around a DSLR, even though it would give greater detail. It sounds as though your whizzing critter is the same as the hummingbird moth pictured here--almost as big as a hummingbird, though it seems to linger longer than do hummingbirds. I have yet to get a hummingbird shot.

• shive
    11 years ago

It looks like you have some good rebloom coming for August! I love the hibiscus and your amazing butterfly shots!

Debra

• jkayd_il5
    11 years ago

Could your noid be Dixie Land Band?

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Beautiful shots from this late in the season. Your hibiscus looks very crisp and pristine. Mardi Gras Beads looks like a good addition, and I love the form on Sara Christine.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The red with white midribs does indeed look like Dixie Land Band. DLB is listed as early with rebloom. That does not fit; however, sometimes a very early evergreen will bloom out of sync here. Certainly, the picture seems identical. Thanks for your help.