Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polymerous

Help needed to ID mystery sculpted daylily

polymerous
10 years ago

Some time ago I purchased a daylily off the LA. After I received the plant, the seller sent me a letter with a check, refunding my money. The reason given was that the plant that was shipped was not the plant that I thought I was buying. (He did not say what the plant was, or might have been.)

(I thought this was extremely ethical of him, especially as he did not ask for the plant back. Being in a mellow mood, I declined to accept the refund (and informed him so), deciding to see how things transpired. 'It may not be the plant I want, but it might be the plant I need', or words to that effect, were what I told the seller.)

So this summer the daylily is blooming (in a small 1.5 gal pot). I would like to make some crosses with it, so I would like to know what it is. The picture is below - you can see that the bloom is sculpted, round, and has a nice color, green throat, and yellow edge, all of which are good. The bad is that the foliage is somewhat stiff and upright, and the flowers don't always open well. (This photo was taken after several days of very hot weather and more than usual water; the bloom is open flat.) I stupidly did not think to make measurements, but I would say the bloom is 5-5.5" and the scape somewhere around 26" high (but scapes are often shorter here than registered). The foliage is Ev or SEv.

Any suggestions on what this might be? (I don't have the email address of the seller so I can't ask him; he currently does not have anything for sale on LA, so without a link there I can't figure out how to contact him.)

It does look a little like what I remember of AMERICAN FREEDOM (which I had at one time), but my recollection of that daylily was that its bloom was somewhat oranger than this one; this bloom looks more like a peachy pink to me.)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!