Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Favorite (and Others) Are Blooming!

Posted by maximus7116 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 16:34

I know it's hard for most to name a favorite daylily, but ever since I first saw Catastrophe Waitress bloom, she's been my favorite. Here's her maiden bloom in a photo that shows why her bloom season is so long:

Catastrophe Waitress photo DSCN6157.jpg

THE GOLDILOCKS EFFECT also debuted today after overnight rains. Good Lord, I need to weed:

Goldilocks Effect photo DSCN6139.jpg

PAINTED DESERT, a 2013 Hanson, with its first bloom:

Painted Desert photo DSCN6147.jpg

The very prolific INTEGRATED LOGISTICS looking darker after its morning shower:

Integrated Logistics photo DSCN6154.jpg

SWALLOW TAIL KITE, an older Hanson:

Swallow Tail Kite photo DSCN6142.jpg

TIM KORNDER, one of the few Emmerichs I grow. This one has been here for about five years but hasn't performed very well:

Tim Kornder photo DSCN6159.jpg

AMERICAN DOLL (thank you, Debra) probably needs a bit more sun:

American Doll photo DSCN6162.jpg

AFRICAN GRAPE, a Munson that does very well here (even after its relocation this spring):

African Grape photo DSCN6135.jpg

And HALF MOON KEY, very prolific and didn't mind being divided and relocated last year:

Half Moon Key photo DSCN6131.jpg

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Favorite (and Others) Are Blooming!

You have some really lovely daylilies...love the muddle of color on painted desert. Those buds on Catastrophe Waitress....all I can say is WOW. How long will she bloom with a count like that?
Flora

o

You have some pretty ones blooming. You are better than I am if you can get to a single favorite. I have trouble getting to 15 favorites. I don't think I have seen Painted Desert before. Very pretty colors on it. Tim Kordner is a beauty. sorry it doesn't do well for you. Catastrophe Waitress is always a beauty, and who doesn't love Half Moon Key?

kay

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 17:24

Being a yellow fan my vote has to go to the Goldilocks Effect. You aren't kidding about Catastrophe Waitress - look at all those buds. You've got so much to look forward to in the next couple of weeks..........Maryl

o

Daylilies look great after the rain! It rained a little here yesterday in the morning and most of mine had some rain damage.
Wow all the buds on Catastrophe Waitress! I like The Goldilocks Effect, Tim Kornder and American Doll today. My doll hasn't started yet and the plant is very small.
What are performance issues with TK?

o

Kay, you have some CW coming your way this year, don't forget.

Nat, TK has been here for seven years and has never really put out the blooms for me. I think I've given it enough time to settle in, don't you?

o

Yes, that's true. I asked because I added one last summer and it's the first year of it blooming. I am in love with the color and size of the bloom, but thanks for the warning.

o

Wow on the buds/branching on Catastrophe Waitress! Very impressive! The color and form on Tim Kornder are just superb. It's a shame it doesn't perform better for you. Integrated Logistics is very sculpted there in your garden. Mine didn't throw as many sculpted blooms this year as it did last season. The bloom on American Doll is looking very pretty in your garden. You've got a better edge on it than I usually get here, so it likes something about where it's planted. Be sure to get some later photos of Painted Desert. That one intrigues me.

Debra

o

You must be thrilled strolling through your garden. Just so many wonderful blooms to appreciate. I love The Goldilocks Effect. IL, STK, and AG are beautiful too. TK has always performed wonderfully for me, but I live a lot further south than you.

Linda

o

wow, you have some beauties, today, but, my favorites are the last two.Love b oth of them.gorgeous.

jean

o

CW does have tremendous bud count. Poor Painted Desert; it's just out of its element in the rain.

o

Nice group even with the rain.

Julia

o

I would certainly be hard pressed to pick my #1 favorite daylily, but I can sure see why CW is yours. I loved it from the pictures you posted it over the past two or three years and did end up buying it from Curt Hanson late last summer. Mine looks like it might have it's FFO tomorrow. I can hardly wait!

o

The name alone makes it a keeper, Catastrophe Waitress. Very nice daylily!

I agree...seven years is plenty of time...I know of some that could fill that spot (smile).

And, yeah, I don't remember that nice edge on American Doll. Must go outside and look. When it cools off, lol. Okay, checked a picture (instead) and I do see an edge...just not as nice as yours. AD is happy there!

Painted Desert is interesting. Especially in light of the photos and trips CH takes...can't wait to see more of it.

Very enjoyable pics!

o

Thanks, everyone, and Catastrophe Waitress thanks you for admiring her bud count!

Flora, I think I get close to a month of blooms from CW, which is unusual without any rebloom here.

Twix, I'm so happy you got CW. I hope you'll be as thrilled as I am. The colors in the daylily change from day to day and morning to afternoon. Be sure to post pics.

Debra and Katie, I'll be sure to post more pics of Painted Desert. It isn't the best shot to have posted, but it didn't bloom last year and you know how excited you get when a newbie blooms. American Doll is in part shade, so perhaps that explains her edge. I really wasn't expecting her to make it through our winter, but she seems to have settled in fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here