Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

I'd like to ship some daylilies

karin_mt
9 years ago

So, I have like a million extra daylilies that I'd like to thin out. I'm giving them away to anyone who will take them, and that still leaves me with around 900,000. I'd like to ship some to friends. Any suggestions for how to do that? I'm thinking that I can divide them into modest clumps, trim the foliage back to 4-6 inches and wash off the roots. What else? Should I put them in plastic bags or will they rot? Is 2-3 day shipping fast enough?

Oh, and would anyone like some extra daylilies? ;)
I have mostly NOIDs but I do have some Hyperion and Happy Returns that are really nice.

thanks!
Karin

Comments (4)

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Karin: No plastic baggies, wrap in newspaper, and yes, USPS Priority Mail is the best way to ship but only if the state allows incoming plants or you have an AG certifications for those states which require one.

You should also post on the exchange forum. I'm sure you'll get a lot of takers.

Good luck.
    Julia

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

take a piece of newsprint... and wrap them like a burrito ... wet the paper after .. but them let it dry .. the PO has no sense of humor about dripping packages ...

i would then take a house garbage bag... and lightly wrap them in such.. and stick them in a box.. and ship them ... again.. just so the box doesnt get wet ...

if you want to label them.,. use a ballpoint on a leaf... it will be there for months ...

i would do the digging on sat/sun .. and pack them all up.. and take them to the PO on monday.... so they will be delivered by wed/thurs ...

i would not insure it... as you have enough ... and i would not pay premium postage ...

and i would not go with big pieces... unless you want to spend a lot on postage ...

and with daylily.. i would cut off half the leaves... but i have never shipped such.. and would defer if some experts says otherwise ...

that way.. you reduce weight.. and can jam more in a box...

if you tried hard.. you could probably get 50 3 fan plants in a shoe box.. lol ... you cant barely kill the things...

this is how i have done hosta... i am curious if you daylily peeps would argue with it ...

ken

• Nancy
    9 years ago

You pretty much have it down. I tend to wash the dirt off the roots, let them dry a bit, wrap in dry newspaper & ship. Depending on what size box I have on hand, I may not even wrap them, just laying newpaper on top & bottom in case some soil is still around. I got fussed at good in an early trade when I mailed in a plastic bag & they rotted. I've also received them wrapped in baggies, they weren't quite rotten, I'm not sure they would completely rot in 2-3 days, but you could see the beginnings of it & they were starting to smell. And like Ken said, you can really pack them in.
    If you want to set up an on line account with USPS, you can print your own postage & even have the mailman pick up the box at your house. I've never had them pick up, my mailman is a bit persnickety & I don't want to test it. It is a tiny bit cheaper to do it that way, but you can get free online tracking & free insurance up to $50-although I think free insurance is the case using priority. Used to be able to mail boxes first class if they were light & small enough, but I'm not sure that is the case any more. Someone told me all boxes must be shipped at least priority, but I haven't checked with the post office on that.

• karin_mt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Perfect, thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. Free daylilies coming soon to a neighborhood near you...

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms