Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Just Before the Fat Lady

mantis__oh
9 years ago

The end is nearing, and cold nights are reducing the number of good blooms.

Boundless Beauty is a later star:

Savannah Debutante does not disappoint:

Cherokee Pass (pumped up in a pot for sales):

Message of Love is so far not nice enough to earn a prime spot in the garden:

Indian Ripple always a colorful spot towards the end:

Bill Fall

Willow Dean Smith (which I previously misidentified as Cosmic Blush): I corrected the post.

Lavender Stardust (yes, foliage in general is ratty due to a very wet and cool period in early May). Very dry now, though.

Labyrinth of Solitude (don't know what I think):

Ambulance Chaser has taken a long time to just modestly establish itself.

Heavenly Bombshell (fairly new to garden)

Watermelon Moon has looked good:

Antique Nouveau (enabled by Debra's pics):

Morning Mood

Haven't seen many butterflies. Someone told me that use of Round-Up in the Midwest is destroying wildflower habitat.

The old Lady Neva has been relegated to the hospital bed (it looks good there and scapes are surprisingly sturdy):

Comments (10)

• njmomma
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Message of Love looks very very pretty.
    So glad I ordered Indian Ripple and Lavender Stardust.
    Lady Neva does well here too but not sure why it's listed as EE when it blooms late.
    Big Fall looks gorgeous!

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Lots of good looking daylilies! Indian Ripple is my favorite. I was getting excited for a minute, thought maybe I had identified one of my NOID daylilies as Watermelon Moon, but I see that the flowers are listed as 6 1/2". Mine are about 5", so I guess not. One of the few NOIDs I keep because I like the color. Lady Neva always puts on a great show.

• shive
    9 years ago

Boundless Beauty is looking very nice for this late in the season. Is it reblooming? I remember it did very well for you last year too. Morning Mood is such a lovely color, and so is Willow Dean Smith. It looks like Antique Nouveau is opening well for you, despite the cool temps.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 7:26

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Well, Boundless Beauty is a beauty! :) Cherokee Pass is so bright! I also love Indian Ripple and Willow Dean Smith.
    I like Labyrinth - nice color, watermark and edge! Ooh Heavenly Bombshell is pretty too.
    Great pics of a butterfly! Ugh that Roundup is destroying everything :(
    Good that you can still enjoy your flowers in the hospital bed.
    PS. Had to google the fat lady - never heard of it. I hope I got it right :)

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Boundless Beauty is beautiful and I love your butterfly pictures! I haven't seen as many butterflies around here this year... I did see a monarch today and a swallowtail yesterday though.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

I sure do like Morning Mood . That is gorgeous.Willow Dean Smith is another favorite. but all of thse are very pretty.I am having too much trouble with pc right now to name the ones I like so much

jean

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Cherokee Pass is the standout for me from this group. Labyrinth looks better in your garden. Ambulance Chaser hasn't bloomed here yet, but your bloom is a beauty.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Boundless Beauty is lovely. I especially like Ambulance chaser, it is a beautiful bloom. The butterfly photos are very welcome. The number of butterflies has been greatly reduced here.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Before the fat lady sings--in the final act. I guess origins of the phrase are uncertain; some think it refers to a Wagner opera.

Debra, the rebloom scape on Boundless Beauty is coming smack in the middle.

Ambulance Chaser will have to be a lot more vigorous before I get excited about it, but some are slow to establish.

Labyrinth is not in the garden; not sure how well the bloom holds in sun or how blooms are presented on a garden plant.

Morning Mood is a wonderful plant--a good grower and standout color.

• shive
    9 years ago

I forgot to say how much I enjoyed your butterfly pictures. I haven't seen many butterflies this year either. My butterfly bushes took a big hit over the winter and it's been so dry they aren't blooming well.

Debra